1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI!!!
    Unlike previous jailbreaks, which required the device to be connected to a computer to run the update, the latest jailbreak is accomplished completely via mobile Safari loaded on the device!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Jay

Hackers release browser-based iPhone 4 jailbreak
    by Steven Musil, August 1, 2010 7:48 PM PDT

Hackers release browser-based iPhone 4 jailbreak | Apple - CNET News

The unlocked iPhone 4 is now technically legal and technically possible.
    Just days after the U.S. Copyright Office ruled that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" no longer violates federal copyright law, the iPhone Dev Team on Sunday released a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 at JailbreakMe.com.

Unlike previous jailbreaks, which required the device to be connected to a computer to run the update, the latest jailbreak is accomplished completely via mobile Safari loaded on the device. The browser-based software bypass reportedly works on all iOS devices, including iPhones, iPads, and iPods running iOS 4 and iOS 4.01, but it will reportedly not work on devices running the iOS 4.1 beta.

Also, some users report the jailbreak disrupts FaceTime and MMS functionality on the device.

However, as of this writing, demand for the jailbreak is apparently so popular that the site's servers can't keep up, and many visitors report difficulty in getting through.

Jailbreaking allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system--such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses. Jailbreaking also allows devices to run devices to run on nonauthorized networks.

While the U.S. Copyright Office has declared the software legal, Apple discourages users from loading the bypass, reminding them that doing so will void their device's warranty. "As we've said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably," Apple said in a statement earlier this week.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The iPad has iOS 4 now?
    Works ok for what i wanted. Got the wifi hotspot app, facetime over 3G working, lock calendar, and sbsettings. Will wait for others to update.
    iPAD is up to 3.2.1 only. This jailbreak applies to both versions of ipad as well (3.2 and 3.2.1). I am currently trying to install itunes' update so that I may upgrade my ipad to the latest release and then test the jailbreak. I am currently jailbroken via spirit.
    this means people can walk in to an AT&T store and jailbreak the demo phones. we need this so we can overclock Pre units on display...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandleô.
    Reserve yours today!
    Fun :-)

I hear it is a pdf exploit being used. More ammo for King Steve's war against adobe products, I guess.

Anyway,
    Hey $friend_who_has_an_iphone. Check out this cool webiste! [link] Ooooh, lookie. I can has reverse shell :-)

Damn I love me some metasploit.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Works ok for what i wanted. Got the wifi hotspot app, facetime over 3G working, lock calendar, and sbsettings. Will wait for others to update.
    how is facetime over 3G ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8.    #8  
    Hi everyone,

Here is an update!

Take care,

Jay

Apple 'investigating' iOS flaw that opens door to Web-based jailbreak
    08/04/2010, ó Ben Patterson is a technology writer for Yahoo! News.

Print Story: Apple 'investigating' iOS flaw that opens door to Web-based jailbreak - Yahoo! News

The cool thing about the "JailbreakMe" tool that iPhone hackers unleashed last weekend is that itís capable of jailbreaking your iPhone over the Web, via the handsetís Safari browser. The scary thing about the "JailbreakMe" tool? Itís capable of jailbreaking your iPhone over the Web, via the handsetís Safari browser.

Luckily for us, the hackers who built the Web-based JailbreakMe site didnít intend any harm; all they wanted to do was design a simple way for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch users to easily jailbreak their devices ó a process (or rather, a hack) that allows users to install third-party apps that arenít sactioned by Apple, including applications thatíll unlock your iPhone for use on another network besides AT&T. Indeed, I tried JailbreakMe earlier this week with my old iPhone 3GS ó not my new iPhone 4, mind you ó and within minutes it was jailbroken, with nary a hiccup.

But while the "JailbreakMe" site is relatively benign and up-front in its intentions (it tells you exactly what itís doing, and asks you to swipe a slider control before hacking into your handset), security experts were still alarmed at how easily a third-party, non-Apple website had managed to essentially hijack the iPhone, taking complete control as it installed files and changed settings willy-nilly.

So, how does JailbreakMe work its dark magic? Through a weakness in the way iPhoneís Safari Web browser handles online PDFs, according to AppleInsider, which quotes a security adviser for F-Secure who called the JailbreakMe site "very beautiful work" while warning that itís also "scary how it totally defeats Appleís security architecture."

An Apple spokesperson told Reuters that Cupertino is "investigating" the exploit, which could conceivably be used by hackers with something more sinister in mind than making it easier to jailbreak your iPhone.

With any luck, Apple will soon issue a patch that plugs the PDF security hole in Safari for the iPhone, In the meantime, you can protect yourself by thinking twice before clicking on PDF links on mobile Safari, or you could install a new app that warns you if a site wants to load a PDF ó but as AppleInsider points out, the app only works on jailbroken iPhones. Díoh!

One last thing: While I just mentioned that I successfully jailbroke my old iPhone 3GS using the JailbreakMe site, keep in mind that you should only jailbreak your iPhone at your own risk.

While the Library of Congress recently declared that itís legal to jailbreak a phone, including the iPhone, doing so can void your iPhoneís warranty, and donít expect much sympathy at the Apple Genius Bar if something goes wrong on your jailbroken handset.

AppleInsider: Browser-based iOS 'jailbreak' utilizes 'scary' PDF security hole
    Reuters: Hackers could enslave iPad, iPhone - security firm

ó Ben Patterson is a technology writer for Yahoo! News.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group