1.    #1  
    Ok guys im upgrading from my instinct. I know this is a pre forum and im probably getting the palm pre but i wanted to know what the problems are with the pre and the pros and cons. I want to play 3-D games and i know the htc hero can't do that yet. And i know their's a new update coming out on the palm pre. SO what do you guys think and what can usually break on the palm and the pros and cons
    My brother's Hero lags like you wouldn't believe. Nothing anything like i've experienced with my Pre.

/thread

.. I do wish we had more apps though
    hero has more apps, and currently more api's for them so much more robust. However, the hero was an obsolete phone when it came out. Doesn't it have the same processor as a palm treo 700? I don't know how it's even still sold personally, it prolly won't even get froyo. The camera is worse than the pixi's. Remember it could be a million mb camera, if the lens is crap, then you are just left with higher definition crappy pics. The pre has a really nie lens, but lacks auto focus so barcode apps don't work well.
    the pre has alot going for it. Real keyboard. Early ones had some hardware problems with the slider mechanism, has been resolved by december build dates. WebOS has a major update coming and will be a serious contender with the api's available. Not to mention webOS supports homebrew (side loaded apps) and can be done ota. Start reading through the apps, and hacks/ how to's. Plus the backup solutions are cloud based, thus if you loose your phone, they turn it off and wipe it after you call it in. Then when you sign into your palm profile, there everything (aside from homebrew apps) are, contacts, emails, twitters, facebook, blah blah blah. Our community is hands down the most supported and helpful. Yet another reason we are here.
    hp is huge in corprate america and with all the contracts they have everywhere, and only now selling webOS phones, it should be a rollercoaster.

either way it's your decision. Why are you comparing the hero and the pre though? Why not the evo vs. Pre? Or any of the new droids that palm consistently beats in the smartphone contests? Just wondering
    To be completely honest if your on sprint and looking for a new phone getting a new pre right now would not be a smart move, it will be out of date in another year or so if a new webos or palm/hp phone comes out so your best bet is to maybe just get the evo
    Short answer to titular question: Neither.

No point in buying last-gen technology to save $50-100 over a two-year contract. Wait for Sprint to release the Epic 4G this month, and choose between that and the Evo.

If you have to buy a Pre or Hero, you can buy either off Craigslist/eBay for less than what Sprint is selling them for now.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    if hes looking to "upgrade" to the hero, the evo would be out of question. Hes probably like myself and couldn't afford the evo. The hero is more out dated than the Pre. The Pre can already run some of the best 3d games out there without the new update.
    Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    if hes looking to "upgrade" to the hero, the evo would be out of question. Hes probably like myself and couldn't afford the evo. The hero is more out dated than the Pre. The Pre can already run some of the best 3d games out there without the new update.
    Just out of curiosity, how is it that one can afford a monthly smartphone bill of $69 or so, but can't afford an extra $50 to buy an Evo or Epic?
    Don't get either. Get an Evo or Epic.
    Or get a pre off craigslist/ebay so you can upgrade to palms next hardware.

simple.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how is it that one can afford a monthly smartphone bill of $69 or so, but can't afford an extra $50 to buy an Evo or Epic?
    Only two ways I can think of are:
    1. Your company pays the monthly fee, but the employee buys the phone
    2. Mommy and Daddy pay the monthly fee and the child buys the phone.
    new palm phone should be out sept. / oct. If you have waited this long, might as well wait a month or 2 more. Since there will be more to choose from.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The Hero shouldn't even be in the running, IMO. I had it, and didn't like it much after using my Pre for months. If you're getting a phone on contract, it's between the Evo or Epic 4G, or waiting to see what Palm releases this fall. If you don't want a new contract, you can pick up a Pre on Craigslist/classifieds for less than $150, or a Hero for around the same amount. However, if you like to play 3D games (or anything with decent graphics), the Hero isn't an option. Not to mention the fact that it'll never get an official Android 2.2 update.