Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    lmao
    A phone with Windows Mobile? NO WAY IN X X X X!

If it was the ONLY mobile OS left in the world, I would just give up having a cell phone!!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    A phone with Windows Mobile? NO WAY IN X X X X!

If it was the ONLY mobile OS left in the world, I would just give up having a cell phone!!
    TRANSLATION: I am not an adaptable mammal. I would rather have my species go extinct before evolving beyond my current state.

(At least that's how it sounded to me)
    I'd probably get an iPhone before I went with a WM phone. But I still have to experience the new OS for myself.
    This htc slider speakerphone looks like garbage. I expect better from them.
    its not window mobile its windows phone 7 completely different operating systems just made my Microsoft...
    windows phone 7 is about to be like andriod its all gunna be about the specs...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Alot of the posts in here are hilarious

WP7 will be nothing like Windows Mobile at all
    To even compare the two is laughable.

MS realized they made a mistake with WM and have done a complete revamp with WP7.

WP7 is apparently extremely easy to develop for with developers already stating creating apps takes simply hours rather than weeks with other OS.

From all the videos I have seen WP7 has the 2nd best UI I have seen behind WebOS.
    Everything about it is so seamless and simple like WebOS.

Sure it is not perfect but no OS out the box is. Look at Android back when the G1 first launched or the Palm Pre when it first launched.

My next phone personally will be the Palm Pre successor or a WP7.
    Here is a walkthrough of the Start page.

Really slick stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    This htc slider speakerphone looks like garbage. I expect better from them.
    Rumor is if you slide the other way there is a keyboard.
    Still an ugly phone imo. The speaker is a waste of space regardless, and I hate the half chin bezel like on the droid 2 at the bottom.

I'm sure HTC has something worthy planned for wp7 though, I doubt they would place all their chips in the android basket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Here is a walkthrough of the Start page.

Really slick stuff.

That is one of the better demo/videos I have seen.
    I would go with it if HanDBase were supported. However, it will not be for an extended period of time. So: no. I do like the specs and the video above.
    A Billion dollars could buy a lot of love -- or at least rent it for a while.

Unfortunately for M$, it has already lost more than half of its claimed OEMs -- even before WP7's launch

Microsoft To Pay More Than Half A Billion Dollars To Jump-Start Wp7
    TechCrunch Kim-Mai Cutler.

Nearly four years after Apple launched the iPhone and two years after Google open-sourced the code for its Android operating system, Microsoft is finally set to re-enter the mobile market this holiday season in a serious way with Windows Phone 7.

It is trying to catch up to those more modern smartphones the only way it can — with cold, hard cash.

The company could spend a half-billion dollars or more in marketing costs and payments to developers and handset manufacturers to subsidize the expense of building phones and apps, so that the Windows Phone 7 ecosystem is well-seeded at launch.

...Microsoft will spend $400 million on marketing alone for the Windows Phone 7 launch. That doesn’t include the millions it has already committed to pay for “non-recurring engineering” costs that help offset development costs for handset manufacturers.

...They don’t have to take share from Android or Apple, so long as they can attract enough consumers switching from feature phones.” ...

In some cases, potential manufacturing partners have accepted payments only to later back out. Out of the original eight handset manufacturers that Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7 with in February, there’s serious traction left at just three—HTC, Samsung and LG...

...Microsoft has been offering financial support sometimes in the form of revenue guarantees to developers so that there will be enough apps in its store at launch...

Its most recent efforts in the mobile space have bombed. The company took the much-hyped Kin phone off the market after reportedly selling fewer than 10,000 units. Furthermore by spending hundreds of millions of dollars, it is effectively competing against its own business model. It licenses out its software for a fee of roughly $15 per OS shipped to manufacturers, unlike Android, which is free and lacks the same software restrictions. A big question for Microsoft is whether it will be able to keep its licensing model afloat (Even at $10 per device, 100 million Windows 7 phones will have to ship before it recoups $1 billion in marketing and engineering subsidies...

Sullivan says the company’s OS would marry the best of Apple’s tightly-controlled platform model, with a consistent user experience and elegant design from device to device, with the best of Android’s horizontal model, which lets consumers choose their handsets and carriers...

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

...OEMs tweak the Android UI out of choice, not necessity -- to differentiate themselves from the other Android clients. Many users prefer stock Android -- and they usually have that option.

You state proudly that M$ will not allow OEMs to customized UIs -- as though OEMs are going to be happy consigned to being dumb widget makers.

Perhaps you've not heard of the Apple iPhone -- its a device that every OEM across the planet envies, and would eagerly trade their favorite children and their left lung to have. Its a device whose appeal is in large part because of the seamless design and integration of both the hardware and UI.

Its one of the reasons HP dropped a Billion and change on Palm.

Its why M$ is likely doomed in tablets and ultimately phones -- because being a gizmo maker is not a profitable niche -- especially when the OS designer dictates the common minimum hardware spec and the UI interface -- which makes it even harder to differentiate your gizmo.

Presume if you will that 5-10 OEMs declare their intent to buy WP7 and build WP7 gizmos.

This is a universe of users that is currently at -- sorry let me re-enter the calculations on my Excel spreadsheet -- jeez, that can't be right .... No, I guess it is -- there are ZERO WP7 users at present.

So we have 10 OEMs producing near identical platforms -- using IDENTICAL UIs --how are they going to compete -- features ????

I think the answer you're looking for is: PRICE. They will have to compete on PRICE.

If I'm an OEM, I'd rather not hear that I have to compete in a narrow limited market against a near identical family of products -- while also banging heads with Android, iOS, a possibly revived RIM, and maybe, maybe, webOS. When 5-10 OEMs need to scratch out a part of a tiny market, OEMs are likely to soon engage in a price war, a war in which they will all lose.

I look forward to hearing from the WP7 pioneers, er orphans, a year or so from now.

BTW -- MS is the internationally recognized contraction used for Multiple Sclerosis -- an incurable degenerative neurological disease.

Personally I find it overly harsh to ascribe these brain wasting characteristics to Microsoft. It is just not in BARYE's too too gentle nature to be so unkind.
    As such I will continue to use the much less inflammatory M$ as the descriptive contraction of choice.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    A Billion dollars could buy a lot of love -- or at least rent it for a while.

Unfortunately for M$, it has already lost more than half of its claimed OEMs -- even before WP7's launch
    Wait, what?

Microsoft announced the following as OEMs: Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Toshiba.

The only one they lost - to my knowledge - is HP, and that's for rather obvious reasons unrelated to WP7 as a platform.

LG, HTC, and Samsung will have launch handsets. Dell and Asus have prototypes that will come to market later. I haven't heard news on anyone else. Would love to see what you said further substantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wait, what?

Microsoft announced the following as OEMs: Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Toshiba.

The only one they lost - to my knowledge - is HP, and that's for rather obvious reasons unrelated to WP7 as a platform.

LG, HTC, and Samsung will have launch handsets. Dell and Asus have prototypes that will come to market later. I haven't heard news on anyone else. Would love to see what you said further substantiated.
    what I said was based on this:

"...In some cases, potential manufacturing partners have accepted payments only to later back out. Out of the original eight handset manufacturers that Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7 with in February, there’s serious traction left at just three: HTC, Samsung and LG..."

I interpret that to mean that of the original 8 OEMs that M$ listed as committed to WP7, only 3 can still accurately be described that way: HTC, Samsung and LG -- all of whom already produce Androids.

The whole "non-launch partner" appellation simply sounds like folks waiting to see which way the battle goes before they choose sides.

How passionate will even the launch partner three be for WP7, if the multitudes do not flock to WP7, and after M$'s cash spigot runs dry ???
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/28/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678