Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just switched over to the HTC Hero and I recorded and the quality isn't anywhere near the Pre's was.

I mean, everything from bitrate to resolution to audio, everything. The HTC video recording is a lot grainier and choppier compared to the smooth and high resolution of the Pre.

How come???
    Because the Palm Pre is actually a good phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I have to agree with jakeeeee
    Did you upgrade the firmware? I think there was something out that addressed some issues.
    Sorry for your experience but I don’t think you will get much sympathy from this forum.
    Please let us know what else you find that is sub par on the HTC Hero compared to the Pre.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    the pre is a much better phone. Maybe the folks on a hero web board will be more sympathetic
  7.    #7  
    LOL you guys just kept saying its a better phone (which it isn't) but what specifically makes the video recording better?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Because the Palm Pre is actually a good phone.
    +1
    Bigger isn't always better.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    higher resolution camera?
    I don't know. After being here a few years, I don't know if I'd be willing to part with such a great group of forum buddies. I love my Pre and have no plans on leaving, but I've been eligible for an upgrade since June.

If my Pre bites the dust, I wouldn't be willing to use my upgrade for the same version. Until it bites the dust, I'll try to give Palm & HP the additional year I would have had to give VZW.
    Maybe people here can help you improve your video quality if that's what you want.

If you can't tell already, there's a lot of defensiveness and fanboyism around these parts, so it'll be tougher getting a straight answer. Good luck.
    ok. Both companies have software running the camera. The hero has a higher MP camera but the software is not as flowing. My bro has one. Bigger isn't better in this situation.
    I think the main thing you should be asking yourself is: if video recording is a big deal, why did you get a Hero? HTC Hero review -- Engadget

On the other hand, video recording on the Hero wasn't quite as awesome an experience as still photos were; the maximum resolution is a pathetic 352 x 288, and even at that resolution we experienced noticeable hiccups and stalls in our videos. We're not asking for much, but we'd at least like some smooth VGA here. If you plan on using this for any kind of decent video -- think again.
    Palm had a year to get a video recording app online, and before that homebrewers were able to coax some very good results out of the hardware.

Pre's video recording is superior. You chose a Hero for some reason, and don't like the Pre. There are trade-offs in everything.

Caveat Emptor. And read the reviews before buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegame2388 View Post
    LOL you guys just kept saying its a better phone (which it isn't) but what specifically makes the video recording better?
    You'll be back. Give it about two months.
    preface: I know neither camera ...

But -- in general, the higher the chip resolution the more challenging the image processing will be for video recording -- which since it requires 30 or 60 frames per second, could begin to overwhelm the phone's CPU/GPU

Lower resolution chips could possibly enable better video imagery.

That MIGHT be the cause ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/30/2010 at 11:24 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I don't remember on the Hero, but I know on the Evo you can change the resolution of the video. Try upping the video resolution if you have the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    preface: I know neither camera ...

But -- in general, the higher the chip resolution the more challenging the image processing will be for video recording -- which since it requires 30 or 60 frames per second, could begin to overcome the phone's CPU/GPU

Lower resolution chips could possibly enable better video imagery.

That MIGHT be the cause ...
    the pre however has a much more powerful cpu/gpu than the Hero. My understanding is the pre's processor could actually encode 720p on the fly. I assume that is not implemented because it would be unstable for various technical type reasons. The kind of reasons that use terms such as "bottle neck" "throughput" and "bannana".
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    the pre however has a much more powerful cpu/gpu than the Hero. My understanding is the pre's processor could actually encode 720p on the fly. I assume that is not implemented because it would be unstable for various technical type reasons. The kind of reasons that use terms such as "bottle neck" "throughput" and "bannana".
    Definitely!! I tried to throughput my banana into the bottleneck the other day and nearly killed us all... from now on... I will stick to still photos of pears.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Definitely!! I tried to throughput my banana into the bottleneck the other day and nearly killed us all... from now on... I will stick to still photos of pears.
    LOL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast