Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Vodafone NZ, the official seller of the iPhone in New Zealand, said Friday it sold its entire stock of iPhone 4's
    So much for there being an "antenna issue".
    Vodafone NZ: Apple iPhone 4 Sold Out Nationwide - WSJ.com

    Today (7/30) the iPhone 4 launched in 17 more countries, sold out in many within hours.
  2. #2  
    There is no antenna issue in other countries mostly because they are geographically small compared to America. It is easy to cover a small area with 3G. It is considerably more difficult to do it for a large area. How many US iPhone users are using the iPhone in areas known to have weak AT&T coverage?

    That said, there is also no antenna issue in this country either. There is only good coverage and not so good coverage, and Apple competitors trying to make to most out of any opportunity they can get.
  3. #3  
    There is an antenna issue with the iPhone, but it was and is largely irrelevant. Same goes for the proximity sensor. And for the degraded performance of iOS4 on 3G handsets.

    I have iPhone-owning friends who have one or more of these issues. They will not return the devices. Part of their "identity" now if you will. That's part of the triumph of Apple's design and marketing.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There is an antenna issue with the iPhone, but it was and is largely irrelevant.
    I fail to see how dropping/missing calls is irrelevant, but whaddya know?
  5. #5  
    Well, there ARE a lot of sheep down there, y'know!

    And for the Kiwi's reading this..

    ... go Bokke!!!


  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So much for there being an "antenna issue".
    Vodafone NZ: Apple iPhone 4 Sold Out Nationwide - WSJ.com

    Today (7/30) the iPhone 4 launched in 17 more countries, sold out in many within hours.

    What a joke. Itards sat in line all night, stores open at 9:00, no phones, 12:00,we have phones. How many phones did they sell in 4 hours, 12,100,200 ???

    Chaos surrounds New Zealand iPhone 4 day • The Register

    The Evo is beating iphone4 91% to 9% at fonearena poll.

    Smartphone Championship: HTC EVO 4G vs Apple iPhone 4

    How can you tell when someone is talking to someone on an iphone, that person keeps repeating "what did you say?"
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    I fail to see how dropping/missing calls is irrelevant, but whaddya know?
    I do. I was listening to the iphone podcast and someone asked, "But isn't it a phone first?"

    And you heard a resounding "NO!" from several people. And honestly, for a lot of people it's an ipod first, and then maybe a text messeger, an application platform.

    But for a lot of people making phone calls isn't the most important function of the phone.
  8. #8  
    Good for AAPL
  9. MrLogan's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #9  
    Hell, on my Pre and Evo, I hardly use the phone function. I check email, text, browse, and use apps. I would wager that a large portion of smartphone users don't use the actual phone as much as data and text.
  10.    #10  
    With SMS, Facebook, Twitter, etc. phone usage has definitely been declining over the years. You no longer "call" your friend to see whats up, you check them out on Facebook or fire off a txt to ask what they're up to.

    At least that's me and everyone else I know. I only talk to my mom and immediate family members on the phone (and less than 100 minutes a month at that).
  11. #11  
    while the iphones sales are amazing, them running out isn't.. My friend wanted to get one from rogers, and they had 2.

    the pre sold terribly in canada, but my local store managed to sell more than that. So sorry if i'm not blown away by the fact that the most popular consumer smartphone in the world sold 2 at my local rogers store.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    With SMS, Facebook, Twitter, etc. phone usage has definitely been declining over the years. You no longer "call" your friend to see whats up, you check them out on Facebook or fire off a txt to ask what they're up to.

    At least that's me and everyone else I know. I only talk to my mom and immediate family members on the phone (and less than 100 minutes a month at that).
    what's funny is my mom actually decided not to get an iphone because of the antenna. She's holding off. Her house is in a weak signal area and her the iphone4 drops calls like it's a job there.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    while the iphones sales are amazing, them running out isn't.. My friend wanted to get one from rogers, and they had 2.

    the pre sold terribly in canada, but my local store managed to sell more than that. So sorry if i'm not blown away by the fact that the most popular consumer smartphone in the world sold 2 at my local rogers store.
    Supply and demand. A lot of stores are only receiving very limited shipments as supply is being funneled more towards the stores and outlets that see more faces and have more overall sales.

    With Walmart, Radio Shack and many other new retailers in the mix with this iPhone it makes supply an issue for everyone.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    She's holding off. Her house is in a weak signal area and her the iphone4 drops calls like it's a job there.
    That does not equal an antenna problem; that is normal. Weak signal areas will have more dropped calls. The wonder is not that the iPhone is victim to a lot of dropped calls; the wonder is that so many people in bad signal areas, ignore that fact and buy iPhones anyway. That is a testament to just how desirable the iPhone is. People who don't have good AT&T coverage will ignore that fact and buy an iPhone anyway. The problem isn't with Apple or AT&T which customer satisfaction surveys keep confirming. The problem is the there are too many people buying iPhones on AT&T that should be buying a phone on a different carrier for their area. Notice that most of these problems are US only.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 07/31/2010 at 02:07 PM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    while the iphones sales are amazing, them running out isn't.. My friend wanted to get one from rogers, and they had 2.

    the pre sold terribly in canada, but my local store managed to sell more than that. So sorry if i'm not blown away by the fact that the most popular consumer smartphone in the world sold 2 at my local rogers store.
    At West Edmonton Mall in Canada the iPhone 4 had a huge line up at an Apple Store... I'd guess probably a few hundred at least.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I do. I was listening to the iphone podcast and someone asked, "But isn't it a phone first?"

    And you heard a resounding "NO!" from several people. And honestly, for a lot of people it's an ipod first, and then maybe a text messeger, an application platform.

    But for a lot of people making phone calls isn't the most important function of the phone.
    This is the reason why the iPhone sales and no one complains - it's just an iPod/iPod Touch that can also make phone calls.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    This is the reason why the iPhone sales and no one complains - it's just an iPod/iPod Touch that can also make phone calls.
    that, an hd camera and apps is all i need too. I haven't made a phone call in three days.

Posting Permissions