1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I hope all of you realize, that I am posting these for info purposes only!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a opinion of an Ipad, I haven't tried one. My best friend has one and loves it! (He also is a huge Iphone fan)!

So please *******/girls, please don't get angry, I have no opinion plus or minus, of the Iphone either...I just post articles that I think are interesting and are provocative enough to strike up a "conversation"!

Take care,

Jay

Why Do You Need a Computer to Use an iPad?
    By Dave Greenbaum Jul. 29, 2010, 6:00pm CST

One of the first disappointments a brand new iPad owner often faces is the fact they can’t use their magic new toy right out of the box. New iPad users turn on their device and what greets their eyes? An iTunes activation screen; the same screen iPod touch and iPhone users see. To setup an iOS device, whether iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone, you need a computer running a compatible version of iTunes.

But why?

Other smartphones, tablets, and media players don’t require a connection to a computer before you can use them. Moreover, iPad users learned recently what iPhone and iPod touch users already know: to upgrade their device’s OS, they again need a computer. Other devices can do updates over the air. Software updates on a Mac or PC don’t require a second computer, so why should iOS devices?

The initially obvious answer is the fact you need an account with iTunes to fully use an iDevice. That account manages the purchases you make on your iOS device. Since many users already have an iTunes account, this argument doesn’t make sense. A new iOS device owner should simply be able to enter their account info (or create an account on the spot) when turning on the device for the first time. Instead, new owners have to hook up to a “real” computer.

Again, why?
    Of course, having a computer synced with your iOS device is handy. You can back up your data and quickly sync data from your computer. Documents, music, movies, pictures, calendars and contacts all easily get transferred from the desktop. However, with our lives existing more and more in the cloud these days, transferring this data via a computer running iTunes seems to defeat the independence of the iPad. With the camera connector kit, the argument has even less relevance. We can use the iPad anywhere, but we have to race to a computer with an Internet connection to do updates or move content back and forth.

Why? Why? Why?
    Cynics would say that it’s about making sure that iPad sales don’t cannibalize traditional computer sales. With Apple’s market share though, sales shifting from desktops and laptops over to iPads is actually a benefit to Apple as evidenced by the recent earnings conference call when this issue was discussed.

There are probably a lot of PC users with older Windows machines who would be happy to replace their old PC with an iPad, which would handle almost all their computer needs. Apple’s “walled garden” approach really shines through for these users. No worries about competing browsers and email clients, downloading and installing software (even in the Mac universe, how many times do you see people running apps off the disk image rather than dragging it to the Applications folder?) Malware isn’t currently a concern, and the parental controls are quite handy. The price helps bridge the digital divide, making powerful computing accessible to everyone. That goal was one the motivators of the netbook movement. Apple changed the rules and added a new one: this magical and revolutionary device still needs a traditional and mainstream copy of iTunes running somewhere for setup and maintenance. Again…why?

Because Steve said so, that’s why!
    Ultimately the iPad will probably gain independence. But for now, regardless of logic, market conditions, or technology, Steve Jobs sees the iPad as a companion rather than a replacement for the traditional desktop or laptop. It’s both something more and something less than the typical computer. Will we see the day when the umbilical cord between traditional operating systems and the iOS devices is cut? One can dream.

Do you think iOS devices should require a separate computer? Why or why not?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think it's silly, but just like the various issues I have with iPhones, it doesn't matter to a lot of people. Maybe even most. They gotta have it.
    yeah, it sucks that you need to activate over itunes. But I've rarely had to connect my ipad to my computer after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think it's silly, but just like the various issues I have with iPhones, it doesn't matter to a lot of people. Maybe even most. They gotta have it.
    well isn't that cute .... Most just gotta have it...including mikah.
    it's nice to see how forgiving you are of apple products. It's a beautiful love affair
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    well isn't that cute .... Most just gotta have it...including mikah.
    it's nice to see how forgiving you are of apple products. It's a beautiful love affair
    ***? Have you not read my countless posts in this forum and elsewhere where I explicitly explain why I do not want an iPhone or iPad? So f'n tired of people here wanting periodic loyalty oaths to prove they aren't Apple acolytes.
    I think, ideally, mobile devices should not require a separate computer.
    OTA activation and updates would certainly be welcome. The one drawback though may be such updates could become mandatory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I want an iPad and will be getting one in a month or so, don't really care if anyone doesn't like it, either. My money to spend and my personal preferences!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!