Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Love the torch hardware design... Probably solid and doubt any Oreo there

Wish HP/Palm would put a WebOS on a design like that.
    [QUOTE=donm527;2593786]Love the torch hardware design... Probably solid and doubt any Oreo there

I had a hands-on experience with an absolutely new Blackberry Torch that came straight out of the box today...

... and it had a wiggle comparable in amplitude to my 10 month-old Palm Pre.

It wasn't a lateral wiggle like the Palm Pre. Instead, it rocks back and forth if you held it facing you.

In my opinion, the Palm CEO should have held a press conference and said that the Palm Pre's wiggle is an industry-wide issue and a design problem for the slider form factor that hasn't been completely resolved.

And then he could also have offered Palm Pre users free GRT cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Love the torch hardware design... Probably solid and doubt any Oreo there

I had a hands-on experience with an absolutely new Blackberry Torch that came straight out of the box today...

... and it had a wiggle comparable in amplitude to my 10 month-old Palm Pre.

It wasn't a lateral wiggle like the Palm Pre. Instead, it rocks back and forth if you held it facing you.

In my opinion, the Palm CEO should have held a press conference and said that the Palm Pre's wiggle is an industry-wide issue and a design problem for the slider form factor that hasn't been completely resolved.

And then he could also have offered Palm Pre users free GRT cases.
    Then I would have offered my HTC PPC-6600 and Samsung SCH-i730 as proof that loose vertical slider issues had been solved back in 2003 and only mediocre designers and cheap manufacturing processes are to blame for today's weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    A new season, different year, different teams, similar situation. Rim has lost all mindshare with the consumer, if they ever had any. In this new consumer smartphone world, they find themselves backed up at their own twenty... Rinse and repeat. The Torch isn't even a play for new customers; it is a play to keep their remaining team from migrating to the other side. Too little, too late.
    RIM has not lost all mindshare with the consumers. It's still selling more BBs than Apple is iPhones. Corporations who value security or ease of administration are always going to pick RIM over its competitors.

WebOS never had much consumer interest and it has zero penetration in corporate accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    RIM has not lost all mindshare with the consumers. It's still selling more BBs than Apple is iPhones. Corporations who value security or ease of administration are always going to pick RIM over its competitors.
    ALL Mindshare? No. But when a full half of your users plan to migrate elsewhere and what growth you have is still losing you marketshare, some alarms should be going off. Corporations that have bought into Blackberries aren't necessarily going to keep buying them perpetually.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ALL Mindshare? No. But when a full half of your users plan to migrate elsewhere and what growth you have is still losing you marketshare, some alarms should be going off. Corporations that have bought into Blackberries aren't necessarily going to keep buying them perpetually.
    I have to agree for the most part - consumer users associate BB with business and work and its these folks that represent Blackberry's best opportunity to continue strong growth. I think if BB focus on the enterprise market they will still have significant market share and mindshare among that market, but not having good mindshare in the consumer market will hinder future growth. BB should try to sell to consumers, but only to keep the BB name front and center - think FedEx commercials, mostly a business to business company but they still advertise on TV - Blackberry needs to do the same.

That been when some 50%+ say they want to move to another handset that doesn't mean that 50% can or will. I'm willing to bet there quite a few in that 50%+ who want to move to Apple, Android etc... won't because its cheaper to keep the work issued BB than have two smart phones. Like you said though, its still a huge problem because even if only half of the 50%+ go that's a hug number of customers.
    Blackberries offer Corporations features that other smartphone platforms do not. With the demise of WM, that functionality gap is increasing. Not all corporate users will care of course and the extra cost of BES is a barrier to many. OTOH BESX is much cheaper and still more functional than MS Exchange support for an iPhone. Historically, BB handsets have been much more robust than iPhones which lowers the support cost for corporations.

BB6 addresses one major weak point of Blackberries, the browser. The other is of course the application development. OTOH many of the consumer friendly BB features end up getting disabled by corporate IT depts. My employer owned BB has had the SD memory card slot disabled, BBM disabled and access to BIS disabled. For some reason they have not disabled the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Blackberries offer Corporations features that other smartphone platforms do not. With the demise of WM, that functionality gap is increasing. Not all corporate users will care of course and the extra cost of BES is a barrier to many. OTOH BESX is much cheaper and still more functional than MS Exchange support for an iPhone. Historically, BB handsets have been much more robust than iPhones which lowers the support cost for corporations.

BB6 addresses one major weak point of Blackberries, the browser. The other is of course the application development. OTOH many of the consumer friendly BB features end up getting disabled by corporate IT depts. My employer owned BB has had the SD memory card slot disabled, BBM disabled and access to BIS disabled. For some reason they have not disabled the camera.
    True dat. But again, it's not like corporations are going to keep buying them in perpetuity if the ones they have already work just fine. I work in online for one of the biggest retailers around. Most employees here are shackled to pretty old AT&T Blackberries. There is no intent to upgrade these handsets any time soon.

That's a fallback position, anyway, which is not really where you want to be as a company. You grow or die. They're slowly losing marketshare, and they're quickly losing mindshare.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Did Blackberries always have a universal search?? Just saw a video review of the Torch and the guy was showing how you just start typing from the home screen, and it shows every single result available within the phone, just like the Palm Pre, but BB has option to turn on/off what you want to search...Damnit Palm, why didn't you implement that yet...
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    True dat. But again, it's not like corporations are going to keep buying them in perpetuity if the ones they have already work just fine. I work in online for one of the biggest retailers around. Most employees here are shackled to pretty old AT&T Blackberries. There is no intent to upgrade these handsets any time soon.
    That's true, we have old BBs around here too. OTOH it does show that they are quite robust unlike some other smartphones that could be mentioned. Battery life is also great.

RIM gets substantial revenue from BES licensing as well as handset sales.
    Engadget totally trashed the Torch on their most recent podcast...
    Yes they did in their Engadget Podcast 208...ouch, and I also breezed through their LONG review:

BlackBerry Torch review -- Engadget

where they mentioned:

To call the Torch the "best BlackBerry ever" wouldn't be an understatement, but unfortunately for RIM and the faithful, their best isn't nearly good enough

Yikes and the list goes on on what the BB Torch does and doesn't do well. So far from what I've seen in video, discussions, and write-ups, I'll be waiting for something else. Sorli...
    One of the guys on the podcast said he thought the Curve and the Bold were both better than the Torch...
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    One of the guys on the podcast said he thought the Curve and the Bold were both better than the Torch...
    Hard to take that guy seriously.
    Have you seen the new Blackberry? Doesn't it look like a jacked up Palm Pre??
    There are about 8 threads just like this.

Also Palm didn't exactly invent the vertical slider
    I said the same thing when I seen it.
    Um...I searched twice before I posted and didn't find anything asking the question I'm asking.

I couldn't think of any other phone with a vertical slider, which of course I don't know everything.
    years ago kyocera had one.
    LG chocolate was a slider. Lots of messaging phones have sliders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    LG chocolate was a slider. Lots of messaging phones have sliders.
    I've seen horizontal sliders but not vertical, except of course the pre.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast