Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 116
  1. nicekyo's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #61  
    I was reading my feeds, and noticed these two article, made me laughed a bit, because I think there is little truth to these two articles. But I think RIM will have it' core customers for many years to come just because their crack servers are damn reliable and encrypted for corporate compliance. Plus RIM's financial books looks ok for the most part, not Apple great, but not Palm desperation (pre-HP) either.

    RIM Following in Palm's Footsteps - PCWorld Business Center

    BlackBerry Torch: The Palm Pre-berry? - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech
  2. #62  
    The comparisons I would make between the Torch and Pre would be genrealities. Both show promise. Both are impressive. Both have underwhelming hardware. Personally, I have seen the Torch and even messed with it a tiny bit. And the two things that stuck out (badly in my opinion) were the not so great touchscreen and the fact that the hardware seemed to struggle the OS.
  3. #63  
    That would mean Palm followed in Samsung's footsteps (SCH-i730) and Samsung followed in Audiovox's footsteps (PPC-6600). The vertical slider has been around for at least 7 years on the smartphone world - and 6 years before Palm ripped off the idea. Of course, the two models I mention didn't suffer from the same hardware shortcomings that the Pre has experienced.
  4. #64  
    Add the Torch to the list of cautionary tales. This is a big company that has been in the game for a very long time with a huge R&D budget and market reach. All the money, smart engineers, ownership of the whole widget, and reach in the world still can't buy them a clue.

    This should be a sobering thought for those who are pinning too much hope on HP coming up with some world-beating device to dethrone the iPhones and EVOs of the world.

    As for my first impression of the Torch, it should provide stiff competition for WinMo 6.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

    As for my first impression of the Torch, it should provide stiff competition for WinMo 6.
    Interesting that you say this. How about against WebOS. You think Torch will do better than WebOS phone has done up till now?

    I'm sure they could because of the RIM/BB name....but i'm curious if you look at the phone (torch) as it is and ignore that its RIM...could it sell better than Pre.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Interesting that you say this. How about against WebOS. You think Torch will do better than WebOS phone has done up till now?
    No. WebOS and the Pre were thrown together hastily and sent out on the market before they were ready for primetime. Why? Because Palm was in a death spiral. They needed a touchdown, but were on their own twenty yard line with only seconds to go on the clock. They threw a hail Mary, and prayed... The desperate pass was batted away with little effort. They were, at the least, hoping for a defensive penalty. Remember iTunes? They thought they might goad the defense into making a mistake that would put a little more time on the clock. Nothing doing. The whistle blew. Game over.

    A new season, different year, different teams, similar situation. Rim has lost all mindshare with the consumer, if they ever had any. In this new consumer smartphone world, they find themselves backed up at their own twenty... Rinse and repeat. The Torch isn't even a play for new customers; it is a play to keep their remaining team from migrating to the other side. Too little, too late.

    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I'm sure they could because of the RIM/BB name....but i'm curious if you look at the phone (torch) as it is and ignore that its RIM...could it sell better than Pre.
    The consumer does not give a rip about the RIM name. The RIM name didn't help the Storm. It hasn't kept the lion's share of their user base from wanting to bolt to the nearest competitor. And it won't sell the Torch. The RIM name will help them about as much as the Palm name helped the Pre, or the MS name helped the Kin, or the HP name will help the next WebOS phone.

    Since this is really about WebOS, let me be clear. WebOS will not be helped by a big name supporter. The only thing that will help it is world class, consumer lust-worthy hardware, coupled with a fully baked OS that captures the imagination of the consumer, and that enables them to do something that they aren't already doing with their iPhones, EVOs, and Droid Xs. Investing hope in the HP name is, IMO, a very bad investment. Consumers will not go to a store and ask for it by name just because it has an HP logo on it.
  7. #67  
    *~When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog run to the end of his chain and gag himself~*
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I don't think Blackberry is that stupid to follow Palms play book to put out such garbage like the Pre!
    Exactly.. the Blackberry Storm was a work of art.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Exactly.. the Blackberry Storm was a work of art.
    hahaha..


    EVERY company makes mistakes sooner, or later.


    Including: Microsoft, Apple, Google, Hp, Dell, Sony, Gm (not related, but fun to throw in), Toyota (again), Nintendo, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, And even, believe it or not, PALM!


    It's not about whether or not you screw up, it's about how much it i'll cost you, how often you do it, and how fast can you recover when you screw up
  10. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #70  
    Based on the early reviews of the torch the phone and the new OS are a big yawn, nothing special here.

    HP/Palm will suffer the same fate if they stick with this Palm Pre small screen slider nonsense!
  11. #71  
    yeah I think so ..+1



    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Based on the early reviews of the torch the phone and the new OS are a big yawn, nothing special here.

    HP/Palm will suffer the same fate if they stick with this Palm Pre small screen slider nonsense!
  12. #72  
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13. #73  
    I agree with the comments so far. The only nice thing about it is the kitchen drawer slider... nice. But as boring and weak as it is with it's tired OS and weak processor...

    We all know that tools in ties will be holding it to their heads in airports all over.
  14. #74  
    I personally think its a great step for BB. They say they started this years ago, so for that reason, it is forward thinking.

    My daughter uses the Curve, loves it - I can't see the screen, where the ball is, where I need to stop, etc., so for that reason, I think its a great move to play catch up and releave some of the problems I perceive from using a BB.

    For this reason, it will make many BB users very happy to have a larger screen. Will it gain new customers - I think not. Will it make BB lovers use their upgrade for 2 years and not go with another carrier with ATT's grandfathered data usage plans - I think so.
  15. #75  
    Love the torch hardware design... Probably solid and doubt any Oreo there

    Wish HP/Palm would put a WebOS on a design like that.
  16. #76  
    Torch was my dream pre... Blackbery keyboard with the buttons but a touch screen slider.. Running Webos .. I dreamt that last yer!
  17. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    They just stole the Pre thunder this is competition for the Pre. Besides being a quality built phone, it includes both keyboards, 3.2" , SD card up 32gb 4gb included 624 MHz processor and small form factor of the Pre with many of Pre's software features with Android style of multitasking,



    BlackBerry Torch first hands-on! (update: video) -- Engadget
    It is a lesson that needs to be learned case quality & keyboard wise but please - the processor in the BB is lame, and it has technology in its OS that Palm had 14 months ago - the problem is we need a new Palm phone, not that BB is moving into Palm's territory. The BB may have a faster processor but its only 124/24 MHz faster and its arrived 14 months after the Pre...go BB

    BB are trying to make a legacy OS do what modern OS do - its good but they really need to begin from scratch if they want any consumer market share (they'll still dominate the business world).
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    It is a lesson that needs to be learned case quality & keyboard wise but please - the processor in the BB is lame, and it has technology in its OS that Palm had 14 months ago - the problem is we need a new Palm phone, not that BB is moving into Palm's territory. The BB may have a faster processor but its only 124/24 MHz faster and its arrived 14 months after the Pre...go BB
    But runs faster or as fast as the pre. :saddy face:

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  19. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    But runs faster or as fast as the pre. :saddy face:
    Yes but 14 months later - we need a new Palm. Don't get me wrong, we need a new Palm ASAP but the BB should be competing with devices that are only 3-6 months old not 14 months old.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    HP/Palm will suffer the same fate if they stick with this Palm Pre small screen slider nonsense!
    But, if they go with a big slab phone with no keys like the iPhone or EVO, I certainly won't buy it.

    If they introduce something similar to the Pre but slightly bigger or the Pixi form factor with a Pre sized screen, I'd consider it.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions