Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rip rim.
    Hardware looks quality but 624MHz processor, FAIL.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Well the design isn't exactly like the Pre...where's the mirror on the back?

I'll have to try the new Blackberry 6 OS before I make any judgments. Just from the video highlights though, nothing seems super new or revolutionary. The emphasis they put on universal search makes it seem like they did something revolutionary or brand new! Whatever, competition is good though I would like to see or hear something from Hpalm soon....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Fortune Magazine writer just released an article comparing the Torch and Pre (and HTC Harrier). Also mentions how Torch really is just RIM catching up to other competing manufacturer's smart phone features.

tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/03/blackberry-torch-the-palm-preberry/?section=magazines_fortune

This critique is timely considering PreCentral’s recent article suggesting HP's ideal aim with WebOS 2.0 should be to "leapfrog the competition instead of merely keeping up to the current par".
    Last edited by lordnykkon; 08/03/2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Blackberry Torch looks amazing like a Pre. Would be interested to see exact screen demensions, but looks like the slider is just like Pre. They called this the iPhone killer, duh. New RIM operating system, WEBOS .5?

FOXNews.com - iPhone Killer? RIM Unveils BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    should have posted this in the Other Handhelds topic
    I'm not impressed with BBOS6. The hardware looks nice and solid, especially the keyboard, but then, so did my wife's 8530 Curve...until I picked it up.

This is just another sign that Palm had something right as competitors keep copying them. If only they had better quality control on the first Pre's and were able to build a lot more to fill the initial demand.
    Torch Stats
    Processor: 624MHz
    Screen size: 3.2 in
    Screen Resolution: 480x360 pixel HVGA+
    Touch type: Capacitive
    Dimensions:4.4 in x 2.4 in x 0.57 in
    Weight: 5.7 ounces
    Headphone Jack: 3.5 mm
    Tactile keys: Talk, Menu, Back and Power/End, Mute, Lock, volume rocker, customizable side key
    Input: Optical Trackpad, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, onscreen touch keyboard (portrait and landscape)
    Battery: 1300 mAHr lithium cell
    Wifi: 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP Stereo
    RAM 512 MB
    Flash Memory: 512 MB
    Built-in Memory: 4 GB
    Additional Storage: MicroSD, up to 32 GB
    Camera: 5 MP autofocus, with flash, video
    GPS

Talk Time: 5.5 hrs
    Standby Time: 17 days
    Music Playback: 30 hours
    Video Playback: 6 hours

sources: AT&T.com, CNET.com, ArsTechnica.com
    I like the slider aspect but is an ugly phone. The thing that really sticks out is the weak processor. Why give the OS all this power and only 624mhz to run it on. If this was 2009 then that would be fine. Why wouldn't you at least make it 1ghz to keep it competitive.

While some people will be really excited about the software improvement, the under the hood power may hurt this device as far as consumer use. It just seems that RIM made a catch up with other platforms attempt and fell short. Obviously a great chance for HP to flex it's enterprise muscles and come out with something that's forward thinking and will excite business ans consumer users.
    The Blackberry Torch is already behind the curve with no front facing camera, hope Palm is paying attention.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Looks like a palm pre, OS looks snappier and I'll have to assume the hardware is better quality.

Problem I see with this handset is the screen size. The 3.2" screen will be associated with other like handsets such as the htc hero, palm pixi, pre, which in my book are dated phones.
    On a vertical sliding device with a hard keyboard, how big do you want the screen? Maybe RIM thinks this is a happy medium, though maybe 3.5 would have been better. Or maybe they should have gone horizontal? Big horizontal screens aren't so awkward. But I do think a vertical sliding screen that's too big may be awkward or top heavy, when opened.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    great job RIM at making a phone that catches up to the Pre, which was released last year. This is really moving into the future and will certainly compete with phones like the iPhone 4 and Samsung Fascinatepicaptivibrant Galaxy S.
    IMO...

RIM fell WAY behind in seeing what the future of smartphones has become, and they needed to bridge they current users to new devices, as they become eligible for new phones and upgrades, with all those new devices available and looking so good...

They needed a keyboard.. that was a manditory requirement for thier business users.. and they needed to introduce the capacitive touch screen, because that is the "future".. but not make it manditory to use.. just an option...

This design makes sense.

In fact, RIM buying PALM made even more sense.. why they seriously didnt pursue PALM and "pay up" for it is beyond me... this was the only other combination that made sense to me than HP... both needed a great smartphone OS.. HP to start a completely new forray into the mobile device arena and RIM to take their aged software and huge market share and bring them into the forefront of the mobile world.

Shrug....

Ive looked at the videos, and personally, without having used the OS, it doesnt appear to be anything special.. Im sure many current Blackberry users will migrate to it, though, and THAT is what RIM is hoping for.. to get thier users into that transition stage while still staying with the Blackberry OS.

I guess we'll see how successful it is in the months to come.

IMO, of course!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    Nice design, but why the phone keys (or any for that matter) on the face?

RIM unveils new BlackBerry Torch 9800 and OS 6 - Aug. 3, 2010
    I like phone keys. Some other people may too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Rip rim.
    RIM seem to be in far better shape than Palm.
    I know tons of people with bb's that constantly complain about the hardware builds. Several people have had their little scroll balls fall out repeatedly. I doubt this phone will make any major breakthroughs seeing as how they can't keep their balls in place, and that's become a staple design for bb. And until you hold the phone in your hand, you can't really say how snappy the os is. It's a video of the phone in action, and most likely isn't a true representation of the os in action. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibalba View Post
    I know tons of people with bb's that constantly complain about the hardware builds. Several people have had their little scroll balls fall out repeatedly. I doubt this phone will make any major breakthroughs seeing as how they can't keep their balls in place, and that's become a staple design for bb. And until you hold the phone in your hand, you can't really say how snappy the os is. It's a video of the phone in action, and most likely isn't a true representation of the os in action. Just my 2 cents.
    There are no balls to keep in place on the latest Blackberries.
    So you're saying...bb's have no balls? Must be why they stole the pre's design!
    RIM will always have a built-in market as long as they're the only real option for the Enterprise. A large portion on the current user base have BBs because that's what their company's IT department requires.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast