1.    #1  
    Just read an article that said that 1/4 of iphone apps and nearly 1/2 android apps were pulling sensitive data off phones. here is the link.
    What your phone app doesn't say: It's watching | Stuff.co.nz

Now after doing a bit of research on Lookout Inc. they appear to be in the biz of saleing security software for phones. Still tho wonder why they didn't test any WebOS apps.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    They didn't actually test any Android apps. As a part of the Android API, every Android app openly reports what information it might access on your device so the consumer can make an informed decision about whether or not to install it. And the 'sensitive data' isn't being secretly "pulled," it's being accessed to do what you want it to. You know, dangerous things like accessing your contacts to send the address to Google Maps for directions, or your calendar to sync with a cloud service. I can't speak for the iPhone software, but for Android, it's a non-issue.
    Android wallpaper app that steals your data was downloaded by millions | VentureBeat – Being open has its drawbacks I suppose. :-\

It collects a user’s browsing history, text messages, your phone’s SIM card number, subscriber identification, and even your voice mail password. It sends the data to a web site, www.imnet.us. That site is evidently owned by someone in Shenzhen, China. The app has been downloaded anywhere from 1.1 million to 4.6 million times. The exact number isn’t known because the Android Market doesn’t offer precise data.
    wow
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Yep, and if seeing a list of those items being accessed in bright orange letters prior to pressing the install button doesn't get a person's attention, then that person must also believe that Microsoft doesn't do similar, yet unknowable things inside their closed software development environment.
    This is just yest another reason why people should be very judicious about what Apps they install on their phone (or computers).

I mean... wallpaper/screen saver applications have been one of the single largest culprits for payloading malicious code on desktops... it's only a matter of time before it made it's way to mobile platforms (any mobile platform).

Especially for something so frivolous as this.
    Just find the image online create your own wallpaper if you want my little ponies or star wars...

It's also another reason why the App markets (Google, Apple, Palm, RIM, etc.) need to have a testing process for Apps (and updates) that identify these things. Even if it causes slight delays in application delivery. With the incredible explosion of the smartphone market, this is going to be main stream soon (very soon).
    Here is another one.

Apple responds on App Store fraud | Mobile | iPhone Central | Macworld

Although after researching it a bit more... It may not have been "hacked" directly on the phone but rather through personal PC's. But that seems to be speculation also.
    And how can we forget this terrible event? And it came from the 'trusted' manufacturer of the phone, not some shady, third-party, ne'er-do-well: Palm Pre Snoops on Users by Phoning Data Home.