Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Despite it costing $10/month more to own and supply shortages, it actually turned Sprint subscriber numbers net positive in just one month of sales where the Pre and Pixi could not in three quarters:

Sprint Nextel Reports Second Quarter 2010 Results - DailyFinance
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Those gains were from wholesale and affiliate subscribers. They still lost 55,000 subcribers under their own brand.
  3.    #3  
    While true, ray, their overall postpaid Sprint CDMA numbers are up several hundred thousand for the first time in a loooong while and the bulk of the loss from last quarter comes from shedding Nextel/IDEN customers.

EDIT: Let me also say, that in the interest of fairness, I think this is the result of a sustained effort from Sprint that started even before the Pre made it to market. Palm helped somewhat to push in this positive direction. Clearly, the explosive sales of the Evo4G took 'em over the top.

I think we're pretty much going to see Android continue to be the favorite son for every non AT&T carrier going forth. It's buoying Verizon and Sprint. T-Mobile is still getting its act together, but they're all-in on Android too.
    Last edited by mikah912; 07/28/2010 at 09:56 AM.
    epic will just add to those numbers

evo epic intercept.. Sprints droid competition looks pretty good... Add a pre2+pixi2 for good measure and they're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    While true, ray, their overall postpaid Sprint CDMA numbers are up several hundred thousand for the first time in a loooong while and the bulk of the loss from last quarter comes from shedding Nextel/IDEN customers...
    what do you know of their current Nextel/iden plans/status -- are they intending to use it or kill it ?

are Nextel subs being actively alienated -- what inducements are they making to keep them on as subscribers, but on normal Sprint phones ?

(Nextel -- one of the most catastrophic business moves ever...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I just hope Palm realizes they don't owe any of the current carriers any loyalty. Sprint CEO threw Palm under the bus after the dismal advertising Sprint did to promote the phone. Verizon sales rep were actively dissuading potential customers away from buying Palm phones (at least to begin with). ATT well they could care less about any phone thats not an iphone. I hope Palm takes advantage of an opportunity to release new hardware on all the current carriers at the same time.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I just hope Palm realizes they don't owe any of the current carriers any loyalty. Sprint CEO threw Palm under the bus after the dismal advertising Sprint did to promote the phone. Verizon sales rep were actively dissuading potential customers away from buying Palm phones (at least to begin with). ATT well they could care less about any phone thats not an iphone. I hope Palm takes advantage of an opportunity to release new hardware on all the current carriers at the same time.
    While I hope that HPalm will indeed launch on multiple carriers, a la Galaxy S, I wonder when this ridiculous "Sprint/Sprint's CEO threw Palm under the bus" canard will die?

Sprint got and still has the worst-made and worst-featured WebOS handsets, along with Palm's worst round of advertisements (Borg Queen), yet sold the most WebOS handsets and gave Palm the most support in TV and print ads as well. Not to mentioned Sprint instore reps treated the Pre much better than Verizon's.

The Sprint exec merely stated that it didn't work out as well as they hoped. These kinda results were what they were hoping for. How long is Sprint supposed to dedicate itself to a platform where sales drop every quarter?
    I agree with Mikah on most points however I believe the ads were at least partly sprint's fault. Their normal ads also tended to show other phones just as much as Pre. This was understandable as they want to show customers that they offer a phone for every type of person however, a bigger push like the one seen for Droid could have turned the tide sooner.

I moved from an iphone to a PRE in spite of these ads because I was interested in the hardware and went and checked it out at the store. It helped that the nearest competitors on sprint at the time were Hero and Instinct with moment right around the corner.

Like most people I am vested in the platform and not necessarily the phone itself. However, since PRE is my 4th smartphone and 4th mobile OS I can attest that it has been working great, almost as well as my iphone 3G (the previous best smartphone of the bunch) sometimes better and sometimes worse. However, I like it a whole lot better than my iphone 3G (the hardware I mean). Software wise I think nothing beats webOS yet and I am excited about webOS 2.0. I am also excited about a new phone since Sprint allows yearly upgrades. I am due an upgrade in late October
    I am interested in Epic 4G as well however samsung's track record for OS upgrades is abysmal (case in point, moment getting EOS for OS upgrades after 9 months). With 3.0 around the corner I may wait before making any decision. Also, I am hoping a new WebOS device will be on the horizon by October as well making my decision very easy.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I agree with Mikah on most points however I believe the ads were at least partly sprint's fault. Their normal ads also tended to show other phones just as much as Pre. This was understandable as they want to show customers that they offer a phone for every type of person however, a bigger push like the one seen for Droid could have turned the tide sooner.
    The problem here is that A) Droid had a much bigger budget for TV advertising B)Its campaign was a collaborative result between Google, Motorola, and Verizon. C) Palm had no such unified message to give to Sprint, and indeed changed its own campaign for WebOS multiple times.

Sprint could do nothing different. What also helped Droid succeed was the product itself. It had a biggER, highER resolution screen with MORE apps than any other platform besides iPhone. Palm didn't have the hardware goods for Sprint to brag about in the first place.
    I don't think the ads for the Evo are much better to be quite honest. I hardly see commercials so i'm not the expert. But i don't remember seeing anything other than a couple of "first" ads for the Evo.

I think if a device looks cool, has decent quality, and has popular specs then it'll sell. This is what doomed the Pre. All this talk of bad ads is just deflecting a bit from that.
    BTW..i've no idea if sprint is getting a future palm device or not. But for palm to let its biggest base of customers hanging at sprint is a failure.

Perhaps Sprint doesn't want a Plus Pre but Palm should have made that happen. Sprint should want to prevent this platform from withering if (big if) they have any notion of releasing a future webOS device.

Verizon make its hotspot app free seeing bad sales. Sprint hasn't made any real effort. Heck, the price of the Pre is still 149.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think the ads for the Evo are much better to be quite honest. I hardly see commercials so i'm not the expert. But i don't remember seeing anything other than a couple of "first" ads for the Evo.
    They have a funny series of new ads that hooked a couple of my relatives:

There's a couple of different ones.

I think if a device looks cool, has decent quality, and has popular specs then it'll sell. This is what doomed the Pre. All this talk of bad ads is just deflecting a bit from that.
    Indeed. Look how many T-Mobile people HTC got to purchase a Windows Mobile 6.5 handset.
    Back to the topic at hand, EVO sales aren't the only reason for the net gain. I would think that 4G had a large part of the attraction, and EVO, being the only 4G phone available benefitted from it.
    The problem here is that A) Droid had a much bigger budget for TV advertising B)Its campaign was a collaborative result between Google, Motorola, and Verizon. C) Palm had no such unified message to give to Sprint, and indeed changed its own campaign for WebOS multiple times.

Sprint could do nothing different. What also helped Droid succeed was the product itself. It had a biggER, highER resolution screen with MORE apps than any other platform besides iPhone. Palm didn't have the hardware goods for Sprint to brag about in the first place.
    I actually checked out droid when it had first come out (since I was still under the 30 day return option) and it seemed bulky and slow to me. I had taken my PRE with me for comparison. I was interested in it because it had a bigger screen and a bigger keyboard. I must admit I have friends who love it but I wasn't impressed with it. Maybe it was the store unit that was laggy for some reason.

HD2 on the other hand was so sexy that I was waiting for EVO 4G with bated breath. I went and checked it out as soon a sit was available. It fit very well in my hand and I liked it a lot (speed wise) however, the OS itself was not as intuitive as I had hoped plus I have reservations about snapdragon since the next-gen devices are on the horizon so I shied away from getting it. I have even better hopes for Epic 4G since it has a much better graphics processor and a better processor with GUI enhancements coming in later that should make it even faster. At this point in time Samsung is a big "?" for me due to the whole no 2.2 for moment issue. I still maintain that a webOS device with the same/similar or better hardware would be better and make Sprint even more attractive.
    I saw more advertising for the Pre (on TV by Sprint) than I ever did for the EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I saw more advertising for the Pre (on TV by Sprint) than I ever did for the EVO.
    You were lucky then.
    I saw a lot of advertising for the PRE as well but I watch TV via Hulu mostly. I can't remember seeing any ad on TV I believe I saw all of them on hulu.
    EDIT: Let me also say, that in the interest of fairness, I think this is the result of a sustained effort from Sprint that started even before the Pre made it to market. Palm helped somewhat to push in this positive direction. Clearly, the explosive sales of the Evo4G took 'em over the top.
    Yet their 'over-the-top' quarter still netted them a three-quarters of a billion dollar loss. Is that what it takes from Sprint to stop hemorrhaging customers - big losses?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet their 'over-the-top' quarter still netted them a three-quarters of a billion dollar loss. Is that what it takes from Sprint to stop hemorrhaging customers - big losses?
    Almost half of that loss came from some "non-cash increase in valuation on deferred second quarter blah de blah". It's in the press release. Wall Street is bullish on this news (check their stock today) for a reason. Their financials are more solid now than they have been in some time, and the 100k plus net subscriber addition will only buoy that over the next couple of quarters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast