Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    NICE!

Library of Congress Adds Jailbreaking/Rooting Exception to DMCA, Clarifies Unlocking Exception | PhoneNews.com

Library of Congress adds DMCA exception for jailbreaking or rooting your phone -- Engadget

(2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

(3) Computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of the computer program solely in order to connect to a wireless telecommunications network and access to the network is authorized by the operator of the network.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Now if only they would add something protecting consumers from what Motorola did.
    And the Apple appeal begins in 3... 2... 1...
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    And the Apple appeal begins in 3... 2... 1...
    let them appeal. I would hope to see some Cydia ad's at some point. Seriously, what would apple start doing then?

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Now if only they would add something protecting consumers from what Motorola did.
    refereeing to efuse?

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    let them appeal. I would hope to see some Cydia ad's at some point. Seriously, what would apple start doing then?
    Apple has successfully blocked this exact exception multiple times. I would love to see it finally not work, but I doubt it.
  7.    #7  
    Apple has successfully blocked this exact exception multiple times. I would love to see it finally not work, but I doubt it.
    really, they have? I was under the impression that while apple has lobbied against language of this type, this is the first time the DMCA has made its decision on the matter....

The legality of jailbreaking an iPod or iPhone remains unclear, particularly in the context of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As part of the 2009 DMCA rulemaking, the Electronic Frontier Foundation asked the US Copyright Office to recognize an exemption to the DMCA to permit jailbreaking in order to allow iPhone owners to use their phones with applications that are not available from Apple's store.[45] In response to this, Apple filed comments opposing this exemption and indicating that they do consider jailbreaking to be a violation of copyright (and by implication prosecutable under the DMCA). A ruling on this proposed exemption has not yet been made, but a decision is expected sometime later in 2010.
    That's from wikipedia, I do not believe apple has ever been able to block this as it was just handed down today.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 07/26/2010 at 12:01 PM.

This exception has been asked for as early as 2005 (possibly earlier) and has been blocked at every turn by Apple.

I'm not a laywer, I don't know if this is just a continuation of the same efforts or if they are new filings, but regardless, this is good news for people who have iPhones.

Apple will still do all they can to prevent Jailbreaking from working and will try to break it with every firmware update... but at least they won't be able to threaten people with actual jail time any more. haha
  9.    #9  
    This exception has been asked for as early as 2005 (possibly earlier) and has been blocked at every turn by Apple.

I'm not a laywer, I don't know if this is just a continuation of the same efforts or if they are new filings, but regardless, this is good news for people who have iPhones.

Apple will still do all they can to prevent Jailbreaking from working and will try to break it with every firmware update... but at least they won't be able to threaten people with actual jail time any more. haha
    your absolutely right there, they will try to break it every time...

Or they could embrace fair use, and quit restricting apps that jailbreakers install, and/or allow these types of apps in the Store. Apple thinks everyone needs to have their hand held, and also the control keep the money "in the family". But the control also restricts usage of a device you thought you owned. I'm glad to see "fair use", maybe Applle will start paying attention.

Then again, maybe not. And I'll continue to jailbreak until they do, if ever.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Here's what's really going to be fun to watch. Let's see if the iPhans who loudly decried Palm enabling the Pre to sync with iTunes change their itune about Apple on this position (sorry for the pun, iCouldn'tHelpMyself).
    It's not so much the "unauthorized" apps made specifically for jailbroken devices as much as it is the illegal distribution of app store apps that find their way onto cydia.

Palm also has this problem to contend with in the homebrew community, but it's not nearly as widespread as it is on iOS.
    but hey, your just licensing that iphone or ipod or ipad, their fine print is why i am anti apple.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    but hey, your just licensing that iphone or ipod or ipad, their fine print is why i am anti apple.
    What fine print?
    I haven't seen any cracked App Store apps in Cydia. But I do see a lot of apps that improve on functionality or add features to the OS. And so they wouldn't be allowed in the App Store anyway. Also types of apps that AT&T hates. Also lots of themes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What fine print?
    Supposedly the software agreement says you can't modify the software.

What exactly does this ruling change for any of you commenting on it? What does it change for anyone, anywhere? Those who jailbreak for the purpose of pirating apps will continue to do so. Those who don't will not start. No one ever engaged, or refrained from jailbreaking because of legality.

Apple is not going to start supporting jailbroken phones. Those who do it will still be doing so at their own risk. How has anything changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What fine print?
    Here's a good place to start (since he mentioned a couple different products)
    Apple - Legal

I think in releation to the iPhone, he was talking about the fact that you are licensing the OS (though that's pretty standard these days), and specifically, the portion in the 2c that states you cannot modify the OS.

In fairness to Apple, that's really all pretty standard though. The difference with Apple s their level of threatened enforcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    What exactly does this ruling change for any of you commenting on it? What does it change for anyone, anywhere? Those who jailbreak for the purpose of pirating apps will continue to do so. Those who don't will not start. No one ever engaged, or refrained from jailbreaking because of legality.

Apple is not going to start supporting jailbroken phones. Those who do it will still be doing so at their own risk. How has anything changed?
    I suspect the only change we'll see is the rhetoric from Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Please be careful with the accusations. I for one don't pirate apps, just mainly theme my phone and use a detailed memory manager. Which are not allowed in the App Store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast