Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I see that Android have licenced SDXC flash driver tech from MS. This will allow support of the new format SD cards that are currently available in 48GB & 64GB sizes, but may go up to 2TB. So that means that future Android phones, and presumably WP7 phones may support 64GB. Apple disappointed many by NOT releasing the iP4 in a 64GB variant, and are unlikely (IMNSHO!) to release an updated iP4 before next year.

So who *is* going to be first with a 64GB (out of the box, or supporting available 64GB SD cards) phone?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Well the next Web OS phone was mentioned by HP as being a media centric phone. It would be a unique phone for who ever does it and promotes it.
    Windows Mobile 7 doesn't allow expandable memory. Has to be built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    I see that Android have licenced SDXC flash driver tech from MS. This will allow support of the new format SD cards that are currently available in 48GB & 64GB sizes, but may go up to 2TB. So that means that future Android phones, and presumably WP7 phones may support 64GB. Apple disappointed many by NOT releasing the iP4 in a 64GB variant, and are unlikely (IMNSHO!) to release an updated iP4 before next year.

So who *is* going to be first with a 64GB (out of the box, or supporting available 64GB SD cards) phone?
    Shoot, could be anyone guess.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Windows Mobile 7 doesn't allow expandable memory. Has to be built in.
    I thought the restriction was that apps couldn't specifically access the SD card; it's memory becomes part of the total pool. I didn't think that SD cards per se were restricted.

I could be wrong; I find the interface so ugly I hate to read articles with picture of it in them!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Honestly, onboard storage really isn't THAT big of a deal with everything going into the cloud. The only thing you really need storage for is applications, and most are minimal in size.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Honestly, onboard storage really isn't THAT big of a deal with everything going into the cloud. The only thing you really need storage for is applications, and most are minimal in size.
    It is to me, for security and availability reasons.
    It is to me, for security and availability reasons.
    Precisely - you can't always have the cloud at your fingertips. It's great for backup and accessing through multiple means, but to have a device rely on it exclusively is a recipe for disaster.
    I thought the restriction was that apps couldn't specifically access the SD card; it's memory becomes part of the total pool. I didn't think that SD cards per se were restricted.

I could be wrong; I find the interface so ugly I hate to read articles with picture of it in them!
    Microsoft has decided that data access via Removable SD Card and PC Tethering, both of which were supported in Windows Mobile, will not be supported in Windows Phone 7 in the interest of data security which appeals to enterprise users.[40]
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Microsoft has decided that data access via Removable SD Card .... will not be supported in Windows Phone 7 in the interest of data security which appeals to enterprise users.[40]
    I've read that too, plus arguments that that does not mean that you can't expand the available memory by adding an SD card, just that data on the SD card will not be readable if the card is read in a separate reader, to avoid leakage via "sneakernet". For example, the card could be encrypted and tied to the individual phone, as it can be now with WM6 - they're just enforcing that.

Certainly several of the MS presentations have mentioned additional "flash memory", though not about user expansion or specifically SD cards.
    cloud?... Won't someone think of the batteries!

iphone should have. Hope palm does. For high def pics and video it's a must. PDK games also take up a good bit of room..esp in HD.

32 min 64 would be nice!