Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet speech to text will be the next big thing on smartphones. I know that it's currently avail on android and iphone devices but they are still primitive and limited in function.

The ideal setup would be pinpoint accuracy using voice, almost no need to glance at screen, results read back to you. Hardware would consist of a bluetooth headset that you speak into for commands and reading back information. Very little need to view and hold smartphone.
    Been on WM for years and works pretty well. Works ok on Android imo. Doesn't seem quite as good as my old WM phone.
    I rather text... Accuracy would suck...it still sucks on voice automated systems where they want you to talk to the robot lady..she never understands me..lol
    trouble is that it doesn't work well enough.

spinvox ended up using low paid workers instead.

Rest in Peas: The Unrecognized Death of Speech Recognition - robertfortner's posterous
    Why don't you just call them if you have to speak in the 1st place I mean it is a phone right? Jmo.
    The next evolution in smartphones will be...

touch sensitive backs. So you can play games and scroll web pages without obscurring the screen.
    I think android does it phenomenally.

Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm willing to bet speech to text will be the next big thing on smartphones. I know that it's currently avail on android and iphone devices but they are still primitive and limited in function.

The ideal setup would be pinpoint accuracy using voice, almost no need to glance at screen, results read back to you. Hardware would consist of a bluetooth headset that you speak into for commands and reading back information. Very little need to view and hold smartphone.
    Speech to text has been around for a while... and has been steadily improving. The problem is... there are so many different accents... people dont pronounce their words properly or enunciate the way they should... etc. A fix for that would be to use a system like DragonSpeak where it teaches itself to translate speech at the user level... taking many samples and working from there. But that would be a rather large footprint in the system...
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    The speech to text feature on the EVO works very well. My Spanish friend uses it all the time when driving, and it very rarely misses a word.

Wish we had it on the Pre... along w/ Audible, Shaazam, and a bar code reader app for price comparison... (although, i hear the camera isn't up to the task...)

maybe w/ webOS 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    The speech to text feature on the EVO works very well. My Spanish friend uses it all the time when driving, and it very rarely misses a word.

Wish we had it on the Pre... along w/ Audible, Shaazam, and a bar code reader app for price comparison... (although, i hear the camera isn't up to the task...)

maybe w/ webOS 2.0?
    Indeed. With my EVO, Vlingo and my S3 bluetooth car kit, I rarely ever have to touch the phone when driving. Speech-to-text and text-to-speech works very well in Android.

I remember reading in the webOS developer forums that a speech engine was requested, but denied for webOS. I hope this was just due to Palm's resource issues at the time and that it will be considered again by HP. It really is a nice feature to have.