Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    I really think the 3.5 inch screen of the iPhone is a perfect size for a phone. I hear people talk about how they want a 3.7 inch screen like the Droid or 4+ inch like the DroidX and Evo but I think the aspect ratio and size of the iPhone's screen would work amazingly well for the next webOS phone.

    All those 3.7 inch screens on the Incredible and original Droid are 16:9 aspect ratio but I prefer the 1.5:1 aspect ratio of the iPhone and the current Pre.

    I think they'll end up keeping the same ratio for the next device due to the fact that it allows for a wider device which is nice for portrait oriented keyboards and the fact that Palm seems to favor a portrait oriented ecosystem throughout webOS where that extra width (assuming they up the resolution) will help.

    I really think the next device will have a 3.5 inch screen because none of the LCD manufacturers are making 3.7 inch screens at 1.5:1 aspect ratio. Those are all 16:9. And I don't see them using a 4+ inch screen since Palm built their name (literally) on making small, compact devices.

    Anyways, just some random thoughts.
  2. #2  
    I have the HTC EVO and I have to tell you, it does look big at first but when you use it for a few weeks and try to go to say...and iPhone 4, it's a huge difference - from the webpages to even some apps. I've done side-by-side comparisons with websites and apps and you can definitely see more. But yes, portability with the EVO is not as efficient compares to smaller screen sized smartphones.

    Regarding Palm and their next smartphones, the screen size for the Palm Pre was fine - but for people that just looks at things quickly. But for folks that surf the web a lot, read their RSS feeds, etc, Palm really need to release a smartphone with a larger screen - at least 4 inches. I can't tell you how many more hours I've logged using my EVO ever since I upgraded to it due to the screen size. My eyes are thanking me every day
  3. #3  
    Yup at least 4 inches. Evo is not much bigger than the iphone. My sister has the evo and i played with it for a while. I hate the os but i love the screen. Im always online and viewing webpages is a breeze.
  4. #4  
    I got to play with it last weekend, I didn't realize its that big. Especially with a case.

    I think its too big.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I have the HTC EVO and I have to tell you, it does look big at first but when you use it for a few weeks and try to go to say...and iPhone 4, it's a huge difference - from the webpages to even some apps. I've done side-by-side comparisons with websites and apps and you can definitely see more. But yes, portability with the EVO is not as efficient compares to smaller screen sized smartphones.

    Regarding Palm and their next smartphones, the screen size for the Palm Pre was fine - but for people that just looks at things quickly. But for folks that surf the web a lot, read their RSS feeds, etc, Palm really need to release a smartphone with a larger screen - at least 4 inches. I can't tell you how many more hours I've logged using my EVO ever since I upgraded to it due to the screen size. My eyes are thanking me every day
    it's physically impossible for the Evo to show "more" since the resolution is higher o the iphone. Screen size isn't what matters here. It's resolution.
  6. #6  
    I think 4.0" is the sweet spot.

    HP should on the next phone make the resolution at least 720P so they could tout having an HD Screen.
  7. #7  
    I'd be plenty happy with a 3.5" screen on a device that's the same form factor as the Pre, only slightly bigger. If that's possible, of course. I certainly don't want a slab like the Eve/Droid X. Just looked at my boss's Droid X this morning, and that thing's too big.

    Give me a beefed up Pre with a 3.5" screen (960X640 resolution, please) and slightly larger keyboard, and I'd be ecstatic.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I got to play with it last weekend, I didn't realize its that big. Especially with a case.

    I think its too big.
    I don't think it's too big. They could fit a 3.5 inch screen on the pre without making it too much bigger. I expect the next Palm phone to be in the same vein as the Pre but slightly larger and more squared off with a 3.5 inch screen. I'd bet money on it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'd be plenty happy with a 3.5" screen on a device that's the same form factor as the Pre, only slightly bigger. If that's possible, of course. I certainly don't want a slab like the Eve/Droid X. Just looked at my boss's Droid X this morning, and that thing's too big.

    Give me a beefed up Pre with a 3.5" screen (960X640 resolution, please) and slightly larger keyboard, and I'd be ecstatic.
    I'm with you man. That is my dream phone.

    does anyone know if webOS is able to scale to higher resolutions?

    all the apps on the iPhone 4 that weren't updated for the higher res screen looked like ***. I'd hope webOS can natively scale apps to higher resolutions.
  10. #10  
    I like the size of the Pre Plus and if Palm could fit a 3.5 inch screen on it without making it too much bigger I would be happy. For those who want a large screen (4">) I can see palm making a larger form factor Phone specifically aimed at the entertainment users with a large screen and a kickstand (Pre Max). I would also like to see larger 16:9 aspect ratio screen applied to the Pixi (Pixi Max).
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  11. #11  
    I'm really hoping the next WebOs device has at least a 3.7 inch screen. I'd prefer something a little larger, but I'd be satisfied with that. Let's hope HP decides to go with a large screen.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtmk View Post
    it's physically impossible for the Evo to show "more" since the resolution is higher o the iphone. Screen size isn't what matters here. It's resolution.
    To an extent that's true...except not really:

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtmk View Post
    I'm with you man. That is my dream phone.

    does anyone know if webOS is able to scale to higher resolutions?

    all the apps on the iPhone 4 that weren't updated for the higher res screen looked like ***. I'd hope webOS can natively scale apps to higher resolutions.
    You can't scale an app unless the assets are at a high enough resolution. What you can do (and what Apple did) was make an API that deals with iPhone fonts....so the fonts scale automatically in this case...but dev's need to update their app with higher resolution images.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    To an extent that's true...except not really:

    That just has to do with how the browser renders web pages. At the end of the day the iPhone 4 is able to show more information on its screen than your Evo.

    Also, that image is of two Android devices... probably with exactly the same 800x480 resolution so it really has nothing to do with the iPhone.
  15. #15  
  16. #16  
    I agree. Larger screen please. I really hope they don't just beef up the Pre again. With 2.0 I expect a Pre Plus is going to be fine for the small vertical slider. Now is the time to make a phone in the most popular size, so we get maximum sales potential.

    What would I buy? A 3.5" horizontal slider. Keep gesture area on the short side. Make ALL apps flip either direction (I hate that some apps are locked to only counter clockwise rotation - clockwise is much more comfortable in my hand in the vert slider). Make the gestures that work vertical, work exactly the same horizontal. i.e. gesture area on the right: swipe up is forward, swipe down is back, etc.

    I'd also buy a 6" slate as a reader/web/handheld game device.
  17. #17  
    Looks like the EVO shows more than an iphone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TNONI78 View Post
    Looks like the EVO shows more than an iphone.
    Pictures speak louder than words.

    Waiting for spin haha.
  19. #19  
    Agree that "Pre 2" will need a bigger screen size, but please use a higher grade of materials so we don't have easily cracked plastic. Don't get me wrong, love webOS, actually love Pre's form factor, hate cheapy plastic material used to make the Pre. I am not rough with the phone and all my Treos and Centro were much more sturdier than the Pre.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Once again that doesn't have anything to do with screen size. That is just because the iPhone browser apparently takes up a crapload of real estate.

    what im saying is that the iPhone 4 is simply capable of having more content on the screen at one time.

    I wasn't aware that the iPhone browser sucks **** however.

    And i'm not an iPhone fan in the least. I'm just thinking about what I would want in a new Palm device.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions