Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    With the current OS X update trends, I am more than willing to bet OS X will exceed further than iOS will ever dream. Anyone who has used OS X 10.0 up until now, 10.6, would agree.

Apple is trying to make a strong stand in the mobile dept and are doing a damn good job at it.

I believe Apple will continue building the reliable computers that they always have, while scaring the pants off the mobile maket with everything else that is up their sleeves.
    Hopefully the popularity of iOS will help lure more developers to write software for OS X.
    My biggest gripe for the Windows environment versus the OS X environment is installing and uninstalling applications.

Windows has installers for most all applications. It writes to your registry, adds a folder in your Programs files. To uninstall you have to locate the uninstaller or go to Add/Remove programs. You're still left with sometimes with stuff in the registry, which over time can slow down your computer.

With the exception of literally a handful of apps, Applications on OS X are self-contained. When you download an application, you download ONE file, place it anywhere you want, ideally in your Applications folder. When you want to uninstall said app, you drag the icon to the trash, done. There are sometime .plist (I think thats the extension) left behind in the user folder somewhere, though they have no effect whatsoever on the operating systems performance.

That is the main reason I prefer OS X over Windows. Though I use Windows 7 for 99% of everything I do, my Mac Mini is just an entertainment center in my bedroom for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Hopefully the popularity of iOS will help lure more developers to write software for OS X.
    I could go either way for that. As it is now, OS X may not have nearly as many developers for software, but the few there is are very good at what they do.

A lot of folks think having more options for software, like on Windows, is a great thing. I completely disagree. Take our WebOS community for example. We do not have nearly as many devs as Android or iOS, but we have great applications to make up the lack of applications.
    My biggest gripe for the Windows environment versus the OS X environment is installing and uninstalling applications.

Windows has installers for most all applications. It writes to your registry, adds a folder in your Programs files. To uninstall you have to locate the uninstaller or go to Add/Remove programs. You're still left with sometimes with stuff in the registry, which over time can slow down your computer.

With the exception of literally a handful of apps, Applications on OS X are self-contained. When you download an application, you download ONE file, place it anywhere you want, ideally in your Applications folder. When you want to uninstall said app, you drag the icon to the trash, done. There are sometime .plist (I think thats the extension) left behind in the user folder somewhere, though they have no effect whatsoever on the operating systems performance.

That is the main reason I prefer OS X over Windows. Though I use Windows 7 for 99% of everything I do, my Mac Mini is just an entertainment center in my bedroom for now.
    I've fancied the thought of Microsoft ditching all legacy supporting a creating whole new Windows. Being the larger platform they didn't hve an opportunity like Apple to drop an OS completely and start from scratch (more or less).

I always thought it would be interesting to see what they could come up with...but i agree installing/uninstalling programs while easy through add/remove, can be a pain with left over bits of program on your computer.
    Reminds me of when Apple had the team wars going on with the Macintosh team and the Apple II team back in the 80's.

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend you watch Pirates of Silicon Valley. The same exact thing is happening now in the mobile space that happened with personal computers back then.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo

Try Revo Uninstaller on Windows.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Reminds me of when Apple had the team wars going on with the Macintosh team and the Apple II team back in the 80's.

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend you watch Pirates of Silicon Valley. The same exact thing is happening now in the mobile space that happened with personal computers back then.
    did you intend to say: "between the Apple and Microsoft teams" ??

not between the Macintosh and Apple II teams -- which is a different tale ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Try Revo Uninstaller on Windows.
    I'm aware of the third party applications out there that can automate the tedious task of cleaning out what's left behind. I believe we shouldn't have to do that.

Having to maintain my PC is a pain, virus/malware/spyware scans, occasional defrag, and cleaning up the registry, most of these are done by third party developers because Microsoft either doesn't offer and option, or their are better options. On my Mac all I have to do is verify/repair permissions for maintenance, which is included in Disk Utility that comes with the operating system. It defrags itself on the fly. Virus/mal/spyware are very uncommon, and in any case the user has to give permission for it to be installed, there is no way whatsoever anything like that can go under the radar and just show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    did you intend to say: "between the Apple and Microsoft teams" ??

not between the Macintosh and Apple II teams -- which is a different tale ...
    Nope I meant between the Macintosh and Apple II teams. I know that's not the primary storyline in the movie but it was part of it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I've almost noticed the opposite happening. I am a college student, and I would say 90% of my friends my age have a new macbook pro, mostly the 13's. On my campus macs are just a common as PC's, and none of the kids who do have macs have any type of elitism that a lot of Apple users I find online have. I think a lot of people my age are attracted to Macbooks because of their aesthetic design and ease of use, and exceptional battery life. Most of them don't care about any type of platform wars, they just want a good reliable computer to get them through the day.
    Truest thing in the world, at least in real life. The people who care to post stuff up online are a different species.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12