Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have no idea what to do ladies and gentlemen.

When I bought a Pre in March, it was meant to be a stop gap, to hold me over to Windows Phone 7. What a stop gap it was. An amazing community filled with brilliant homebrew, well organized patches and overclocking. The phone itself is a joy to use, regardless if it feels cheap sometimes. WebOS is nothing but fantastic. Easy to use, elegant and underrated, I love it.

I never meant to fall inlove with this company and it's little phone and little community, but I did.

This is where I'm torn. I hate the iPhone, and Android reminds me of where I came from, WinMo 6.5. Unorganized, unpolished, app crashes, and a community that's all over the place, don't want to go back there. I turn to WP7 and I see an emerging giant. The amount of effort Microsoft is putting towards this new OS is staggering. They are swooning devs from the iPhone community to come make apps for them, they are signing up with large partners to further the experience on the device, and they are even integrating their much applauded Zune and Xbox Live experiences into the OS natively.

For the first time ever, I honestly don't know what to do when it comes to owning a phone.

WebOS is going 2.0 later this year, WP7 launches in October. Dell have the WP7 Lightning which is what the C40 would have been. Slim, portrait slide out keyboard, insane hardware specs. I have confidence that Palm will be releasing gorgeous hardware too to accompany the 2.0 update.

What the hell do I do? Own 2 phones, pay 2 bills?
    I don't think they are insane hardware specs. Pretty average among phones now. But compared to the pre its a bump up. I feel like getting 2.0 is going to be like a new phone.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    You will probably be less torn when the new hardware is released for WebOs.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    If the device feels as slick as it looks in pictures, I'll certainly be jealous of WM7 users on that aspect.

I've owned WM 6 devices for years and hated everything about them. This refresh is long overdo and looks really nice. I don't know if I trust Microsoft to not make the same mistakes 3 years from now, though.
    I think it's easy

first gen hardware and OS like windows 7 is certain to be buggy.
    and the lightning is made by dell. In my experience, that's a good reason to wait it out a little.

webOS and the next pre (especially a pre2 if it be such) are going to be updated and polished soonish.

you already have a pre, wait it out, when 2.0 for webos comes around and the kibks and shortcommings of BOTH operating systems and hardware are known, then make a choice.

at the very least wait and see what the first batch of wm7 brings, and not just the very first phone.

on a side note

what does everyone think of wm7's new ui. I think it looks stunning. Maybe not the most visually beautiful, but I am actually enamoured with the huge text and seemingly very readable UI. It looks like it would be ideal for some of my bespecticaled aging relatives. I'm not facetious many of them hate the tiny text and menues of current smartphones, the wm7 ui seems ideal for them.
    I have owned Windows Mobile phones ever since getting into the smartphone arena six years ago and owned four different devices. The great draw to me has always been the hackability of the Windows Mobile platform. You have access to the entire system and if you can dream it, it can be done. There are so many programmers that have created so much variety in the Windows Mobile world.

When my last phone died, I shopped the available Windows mobile platform, but realized it was quite behind the times. I was impressed by the Palm offering so much that I jumped ship and bought into a new system. As much as I enjoy my phone and respect the work done here, the operating system is much more restrictive than Windows Mobile.

I am very interested in the new Windows Mobile 7 platform, and wondering what I will do when they are finally released. I will have a hard time deciding to stay with PalmOS, (only if they ever release a new platform), returning to Windows Mobile, or picking up an Android. I have a year and a month until my contract is up, so who knows what will be available.

In the mean time, I am happy with what I have.
    Last edited by davecttt; 07/23/2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Being torn up by things that aren't even released isn't worth doing.

Here's the thing. No matter if you're android, iOS, or webOS, the future looks bright.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Here's the thing. No matter if you're android, iOS, or webOS, the future looks bright.

Agreed. I have had WinMo phones, BB, and webOS now. I haven't had the pleasure to work with android or iphone (aside from my wifes itouch) They all have their good points for sure and as the future comes they are just going to get better. It's funny to me when people bash other platforms.
    Is this really a legit concern?

If the next HPalm WebOS device doesn't come with specs that murder what's been announced for the Dell Lightning, then it's going to be DOA.

I mean a 1ghz Snapdragon? Already starting to slip to the middle-of-the-road.
    8GB + 1GB ROM of non-expandable storage? Wack, especially if you're going to be installing lots of XBLA games. OLED display? Supply problems, here we come. 5MP camera from a company with no real imaging track record? Sketchy, especially given what Engadget said about the same camera in Dell's Streak, just released.

This is all academic anyway. Neither has a real release date. We just have a spec sheet and actual shots of the Lightning, and at the end of the year, they're going to look middling.

There's one glaring omission in that list. Was that deliberate?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    I don't think they are insane hardware specs. Pretty average among phones now. But compared to the pre its a bump up. I feel like getting 2.0 is going to be like a new phone.
    It's insane considering they are MINIMUM required specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Probably not...i often forget to mention BB in the world of andriod/iPhone/webos/win 7 mostly because they are so behind the trends...even OS 6 looks 'ok".
  13.    #13  

Being torn up after playing with a WP7 Samsung prototype unit that a family friend has (because he's a developer), watching countless test drive videos on the latest builds, religiously following all developments in the WP7 world since it's unveiling in MWC in Feb, is pretty warranted.

It's like how many here are so excited about WebOS's next hardware, when it hasn't been released yet.

I've used a Zune, I'm very much into Xbox Live, I know what to expect from WP7 at least on the basic enough level to know what it's going to be like. It's not like I saw one article on it (ex. PalmPad) and all of a sudden I don't know what to do and I'm giddy/needing a change of underwear.

Whatever happens, seems like a great future for smartphones seeing how WP7 and WebOS seek to challenge and further push the others to innovate.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Assume you mean WM7? My confidence in MS is a bit low now after the Kin thing among other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Probably not...i often forget to mention BB in the world of andriod/iPhone/webos/win 7 mostly because they are so behind the trends...even OS 6 looks 'ok".
    Win 7 was what I meant.
    Assume you mean WM7? My confidence in MS is a bit low now after the Kin thing among other things.
    People need to stop thinking the Kin is any representation of Windows Phone series 7.

If thats what you think you haven't read up on either devices. Kin, a project taht saw delays and missteps leading up to the launch...it was also two devices.

Windows Phone Series 7 is software going to multiple hardware people being aimed at everyone and not trying to capture a sidekick market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    People need to stop thinking the Kin is any representation of Windows Phone series 7.

If thats what you think you haven't read up on either devices. Kin, a project taht saw delays and missteps leading up to the launch...it was also two devices.

Windows Phone Series 7 is software going to multiple hardware people being aimed at everyone and not trying to capture a sidekick market.

Brought to us by the same people that thought the Kin was a great idea? I don't care what they were trying to do with the Kin. The fact they gave it a greenlight and poured money into it means I have little confidence that MS will get this right.

Already, HP is turning windows tablets into enterprise devices. Or trying to. But windows mobile 7 devices will target consumers? Good luck with this.
    So if a company has a failed project all future projects are useless?

Good thing Apple shook off that Newton failure before the iPhone i guess.

The kin had many good ideas and hell, in a different age it might have had a better chance...but the pricing and the current market made no sense for it. If they released this 2 years ago, yeah maybe....but its not like some terrible product. The products market just doesn't exist anymore.

Why buy that and a data plan when you can get a Palm pre Plus for cheaper and same plan price and it does a ton more? It was a good feature phone with a smart phone plan.

Windows 7on the other hand has had pretty strong positive response (except that one hit piece against it) and all we've heard how MS is courting developers and how many partners they are working with.

I still think comparing the two is silly and pointless....but its your own opinion so i guess i wasted my breath.
    I understand that the app catalog for Windows Phone 7 is a total rebuild – so you will need to wait for the app catalog to develop. Windows Mobile 6.x Apps Won't Work and will need to be rebuilt. There will be no multitasking. Only two resolution will be allowed.
    Dev Tools will be free but there will be no Mac support.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5493569/windows-p...u-need-to-know
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    There is no Windows support for iPhone dev tools.

Doesn't seem to slow it down! haha
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast