Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dev support for all platforms is a pretty moot point now isn't it?

Don't most devs take advantage of virtualization now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    So if a company has a failed project all future projects are useless?

Good thing Apple shook off that Newton failure before the iPhone i guess.

The kin had many good ideas and hell, in a different age it might have had a better chance...but the pricing and the current market made no sense for it. If they released this 2 years ago, yeah maybe....but its not like some terrible product. The products market just doesn't exist anymore.

Why buy that and a data plan when you can get a Palm pre Plus for cheaper and same plan price and it does a ton more? It was a good feature phone with a smart phone plan.

Windows 7on the other hand has had pretty strong positive response (except that one hit piece against it) and all we've heard how MS is courting developers and how many partners they are working with.

I still think comparing the two is silly and pointless....but its your own opinion so i guess i wasted my breath.
    I'm not saying it can't be a success. I just don't have much confidence in it. This isn't a big failure with something else (like windows ME) years ago that is easily forgiven. This was weeks ago and with a mobile device..the first straight from MS.
    I totally agree with the people who say WAIT. There's nothing you can do now anyway. Worrying about it isn't going to change anything or get you anywhere. You really don't know what your choices are at this point. Go have some fun for 3-4 months, come back and see what your choices are then. Life's too short to worry about things you can't do anything about.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    I'd skip the first gen WP7 hardware, I've learned my lesson from first gen webOS hardware. Plus if you love multitasking you're going to want to wait.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I think it's easy

first gen hardware and OS like windows 7 is certain to be buggy.
    and the lightning is made by dell. In my experience, that's a good reason to wait it out a little.

webOS and the next pre (especially a pre2 if it be such) are going to be updated and polished soonish.

you already have a pre, wait it out, when 2.0 for webos comes around and the kibks and shortcommings of BOTH operating systems and hardware are known, then make a choice.

at the very least wait and see what the first batch of wm7 brings, and not just the very first phone.

on a side note

what does everyone think of wm7's new ui. I think it looks stunning. Maybe not the most visually beautiful, but I am actually enamoured with the huge text and seemingly very readable UI. It looks like it would be ideal for some of my bespecticaled aging relatives. I'm not facetious many of them hate the tiny text and menues of current smartphones, the wm7 ui seems ideal for them.
    I agree. However, I own a zune hd, and if wm7 is built anything like it; it will be awesome; although I'm waiting out all options this fall. I love webos but palm needs to come hard.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Jetta04 View Post
    ...zune hd, and if wm7 is built anything like it; it will be awesome
    Hmm. Perhaps that's why I just don't get the WP7 hype? Zune is rarer than hens teeth over here, so all I've got to go on are pictures on WP7. And to me it looks so ugly and old fashioned, with it's huge monochrome blocks.

Still, wait a few months is the best strategy (as, unlike me, the OP doesn't like the iP4)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    And to me it looks so ugly and old fashioned, with it's huge monochrome blocks.
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Huh?
    He thinks the WP7 UI is ugly. I agree.
    Perhaps... but that is a bit of an exaggeration? The blocks are only a portion of the UI and do not even appear to be standard? Also, HTC is said to be putting Sense on WM7. Which is a very popular UI on Android.

I'm not defending WM7... I'm not really that impressed by what I have seen of it to this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I have no idea what to do ladies and gentlemen.

When I bought a Pre in March, it was meant to be a stop gap, to hold me over to Windows Phone 7. What a stop gap it was. An amazing community filled with brilliant homebrew, well organized patches and overclocking. The phone itself is a joy to use, regardless if it feels cheap sometimes. WebOS is nothing but fantastic. Easy to use, elegant and underrated, I love it.

I never meant to fall inlove with this company and it's little phone and little community, but I did.

This is where I'm torn. I hate the iPhone, and Android reminds me of where I came from, WinMo 6.5. Unorganized, unpolished, app crashes, and a community that's all over the place, don't want to go back there. I turn to WP7 and I see an emerging giant. The amount of effort Microsoft is putting towards this new OS is staggering. They are swooning devs from the iPhone community to come make apps for them, they are signing up with large partners to further the experience on the device, and they are even integrating their much applauded Zune and Xbox Live experiences into the OS natively.

For the first time ever, I honestly don't know what to do when it comes to owning a phone.

WebOS is going 2.0 later this year, WP7 launches in October. Dell have the WP7 Lightning which is what the C40 would have been. Slim, portrait slide out keyboard, insane hardware specs. I have confidence that Palm will be releasing gorgeous hardware too to accompany the 2.0 update.

What the hell do I do? Own 2 phones, pay 2 bills?
    WP7 is 1.0 and will not support a LOT of features initially e.g. copy paste and multi-tasking. I am sure no matter how good it will look on paper it is going to be frustrating to use especially coming from a PRE.

If you are going to wait till October anyway a PRE2 should be right around the corner with webOS 2.0.
    I keep reading the title as "I AM TRON"

dyslexia is setting in.

Last edited by darkzone; 07/29/2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    WP7 is 1.0 and will not support a LOT of features initially e.g. copy paste and multi-tasking. I am sure no matter how good it will look on paper it is going to be frustrating to use especially coming from a PRE.

If you are going to wait till October anyway a PRE2 should be right around the corner with webOS 2.0.
    I tend to agree... sorta. But this fall may be perfect timing for you.

For the Palm option - I think Palm is likely 6+ months away from actually having new hardware available and on a carrier... but by the fall you should know what is coming and what to expect from them.

For the WM7 option - You will also have a little better idea how this WM7 thing is going to play out. Although I would be pretty skeptical about it at this point. I think Palm has a better foundation for their OS but they have some catching up to do with regards to both their hardware and software.

For the Android option - It also may be good timing because Gingerbread (android 3.x) is expected in the fall. The primary person responsible for the UI design/implementation for webOS is now with Google and in charge of their UI development for Android. You may know by then if his influence is going to bring some of the elegance and user-friendly UI features that people love in webOS to Android.

If I were placing bets... I would put my hopes in (and money on) webOS or Android... before WM7.

BTW... You didn't mention your current carrier (or if that matters)?
    Agreed. You should definitely wait, and by then I think Android 3.0 is probably going to just nail it in terms of services (integration with Google TV and Google Music, both launching by the end of the year supposedly), apps, gaming, ubiquity, and UI.

I was watching a video of Froyo running on the Galaxy S, and I was struck by not only how buttery smooth it was, but also how much more colorful and vivid system text and icons were compared to the comparatively drab black-and-white interface they have now. Couple that with Duarte's input and the stated intent to have gallery-like animations all over the UI, and it should be something to see. Samsung also has "card" management for the main seven panels.

I hope HP is cooking up something that will be competitive with that.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I say go ahead and get it. I have a pre right now and it's been fun but I'm just not feeling it right now. I could have upgraded to the evo but after coming from the pre I can't go to something that's blocky and clunky such as android. UI is very important to me and the way WP7 works and it's responsiveness being the same as the iphone is a big plus for me.

I just started learning C# 2 days ago so I can make some apps for WP7 in silverlight. The development is so easy even for someone like me who has no experience in C# or silverlight. I see them passing the apps webos has in a month. And they won't be the low quality apps either mostly because of the development tools they give you like Expression Blend that sole purpose is to design your app.

Most people's complaint about WP7 revolve around multitasking and copy and paste. Which are legitimate concerns but most people blow it up just to make their favorite platform look better. But WP7 will have features that webos doesn't have and things no other platform will ever have.

One example is voice search built in that seems like it will never come to webos.

anyway here is a video of semi regular people using it for the first time from iphone users to android users. Their deal breaker, multitasking. But that's it. They loved everything about it. So when it finally gets multitasking. . .

Voice search is on Android (and has been for awhile). Although I agree... who knows if/when it will come to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Voice search is on Android (and has been for awhile). Although I agree... who knows if/when it will come to webOS.
    While I would agree no one knows, I don't agree that its a "will never be available" feature. I really don't even know if it's an important feature, but there is certainly nothing about WebOS that would make it impossible to implement.
    voice api is coming with webOS 2.0 this was reported as the reason for no Shazam like app on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    voice api is coming with webOS 2.0 this was reported as the reason for no Shazam like app on webOS.
    voice api or mic api?

Providing a mic api doesn't necessarily mean that an OS option for voice search/commands will be added by Palm. Although it would likely make it possible for dev's to make an application utilizing the mic api.

I agree that it will likely be added at some point!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Read my lips:

WebOS.
    Bump. What say you now that the release of a WP7 phone on Sprint is imminent and the Pre3 is months away.

I'm a former Android user, that has been using a Pre- for the last few months. Since Sprint changed their Premier membership, my upgrade expires March 31. What to do?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast