Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Wants To Become Apple. WebOS Is The Key

Good stuff to hear. I've said before HP needs to go this route if serious about webOS. Looking forward to seeing what they do.
    I really don't care much for any of HP that has no relation to webos smartphones and tablets. When HP bought palm, they didn't also buy its fans, I have no loyalties to HP outside of the fact that they recently purchased my favorite string of code currently available.

If they try and copy apple on the desktop/laptop, or any other fronts, good for them for trying something new. Apple has a history of being a trend setter.

Not to mention how annoying it can be trying to buy a laptop from a vendor like dell or HP. I am generally a fan of choice, but the amount of different product lines for each category of computer, with all the different models in each product line, and specs customization on top of that, it can be a bit overwhelming.
    I kind of agree with that. I am a original palm user going back more then 10m years. My allegiance to Palm ended when they became a part of HP. In the past I would only buy Palm products ( Palm pilot, Visor , Prism, Treo , Tungstens , Centro , 800W, Pre ) but I now will buy the best device that fits my need.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    HP Wants To Become Apple. WebOS Is The Key

Good stuff to hear. I've said before HP needs to go this route if serious about webOS. Looking forward to seeing what they do.
    Believe me, I'd love it if they could pull it off.

I don't think the culture there will help matters @ all. As a matter of fact, I'd bet it'll be a colossal failure.
    I am all for this.

Actually, after Sony, i think HP makes the best lookin windows laptops.
    ... I wouldn't want to be an Apple if I were HP. Need to pick a more manly food...

HP - The new Steakhouse

HP - The new Ribs

HP - The new Chili

To your point though, I do hope that we see something good out of HP that actually uses WebOs the way we actually want it. If I see an internet ready WebOs toaster before I see a phone, they will lose me.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I think after seeing last quarters results, alot of companies want to become like apple.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Well, if Target could do it, why not HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I think after seeing last quarters results, alot of companies want to become like apple.
    You can say that again.. Hp will never become exactly like apple.. Apples policy is one simple, overpriced product, Hp's policy is millions of devices at every price point, sold around the world, for different needs. But yea, they want to control everything like apple does, and I think it can make them alot of cash.
    bash on apple has much as you like but theyre hardware is beautiful. iOS is meh, but I want an iPhone 4 with webOS. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    bash on apple has much as you like but theyre hardware is beautiful. iOS is meh, but I want an iPhone 4 with webOS. :|
    yep, that'd be some mighty sweet kool-aid!
    Apple knows that doing one thing right, as simply as possible, = success.
    http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/867437854/fish-in-a-barrel

HP has a lot of catching up to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Well, if Target could do it, why not HP?

???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    apple is the best in this business right now. There's no same same in wanting to be like them.

Besides, this happen all the time across different industries. Companies look at a successful competitor within their industry and try to emulate what they think make them successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    apple is the best in this business right now. There's no same same in wanting to be like them.

Besides, this happen all the time across different industries. Companies look at a successful competitor within their industry and try to emulate what they think make them successful.
    so is gm going to make a car that lasts longer than 3 years?

(waits for someone to say "I've had my gm for 4 years")

I joke, I Joke, I kid, I kid...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    so is gm going to make a car that lasts longer than 3 years?

(waits for someone to say "I've had my gm for 4 years")

I joke, I Joke, I kid, I kid...
    I've had my buick since launch day and it still works perfectly !
    A match made in heaven. First, Palm is filled with so much Apple envy, it can't see straight. Now, they are bought by a company with even more Apple envy. HP's best laptop is, interestingly enough, the "Envy". It is a direct KIRF of a MacBook Pro. They will not set about the business of making an iTunes clone to go with their iOS inspired acquisition. They have even decided that they like the name of their competitors products. PalmPad, anyone?

Let's see if HP really has the stuff to "be" Apple. Starting at the top, Hurd and Ruby are no Steve and Jon. They do not have the design and aesthetic instincts, nor the ability to say no to a bad idea. They are more like a Google or MS that throws as many ideas out there as they can afford to see what sticks.

They don't have what it takes to impose "draconian" rule over a closed ecosystem. They have too many partners that they have to try to appease. They also would be able to stand against the criticism of the industry for doing such a thing. But that is precisely what is needed to compete with the app store of Apple, not to mention world class development tools which neither HP or Palm have shown any ability to produce.

HP is bifurcating its upcoming slate line with consumer and business offerings. I suspect they will have to use different hardware to run the different OS code. Apple would never do that. Apple is not a stranger to the concept of high end and not quite as high end, but not two completely unrelated product lines with no shared DNA. Again, HP has to serve too many masters. They are not ready to truly be their own master.

HP plans on putting WebOS in netbooks. They can't let go of the lowest common denominator mindset that keeps profits down and mindshare low. They want to pretend to be a premium vendor, but just can't let go of the coupon crowd. They will never be able to produce a premium, high class product while trying to cater to bottom feeders. Apple would never do this. What corners will HP cut to lowball Apple on price? Until they let that go, they will never be Apple.

Finally, it just has to be said, HP does not have a creative bone in their corporate body. Anything remotely creative they have, they bought or copied. These two strategies are antithetical to innovation. If HP succeeds in "becoming" Apple, the best they will be able to do is Ape what Apple has already done. The industry is not advanced, just crowded. What brings journalists to Apple events is the anticipation that Apple will unveil what's next. There is a sense that Apple will introduce what the rest of the industry will be trying to reproduce for the next several years. No one looks at an HP announcement in the same way. HP does not define the state of the art for anyone. That can't be bought or copied; it can only be envied.

Notice what HP is and is not trying to do. They are moving away from MS, but not toward their own software such as TouchSmart. Rather, they are just buying someone else's ideas. I suspect HP is also looking to Palm for help with hardware design as HP has never designed a slate that anyone wanted to buy. HP is not trying to do something the industry has not seen before; they are trying to ape what is already out there. When HP is done, people will be able to buy the Apple product, or this other thing that's like the Apple product. I have no respect for that.

HP could differentiate in substantive ways, but that requires creativity and a real sense of what people need as opposed to what they thing they want at any given moment. It takes a lot of stuff that HP is not known for having. Here's an idea: Instead of HP trying to be Apple, perhaps they should try to be a better HP. Just a thought.
    Excellent points Danjib. You've really hit the nail on the head in describing the different approaches between these 2 companies.

HP cannot truly innovate because they do not have someone with Steve Job's power to push through a singular vision. Ruby might have an idea of what he wants in the PRE2, but he's going to have to placate the other divisions within HP to make sure it plays nice with everyone. Input from other units within the company will force a compromised device to emerge.

HP sells appliances and at that, they are good. I've owned computers and printers from them and they do what is advertised. But I don't see them being able to really push innovation, even after they've bought it from somewhere else.
    Great points, indeed, but why does HP have to be Apple? Xbox showed that a not particularly innovative mega-company can come into a field with an entrenched 800-pound gorilla and make a great showing anyway. It's not inconceivable that HP can do the same. Copy Apple's successes. BUY some development houses like Microsoft did Bungie and MAKE big names your exclusive. Create a real ecosystem not just out of apps, but some awesome accessories that are also car-friendly. Make Touchstone standard and expand the line.

A few moves like that, and HP will move plenty of phones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Great points, indeed, but why does HP have to be Apple? Xbox showed that a not particularly innovative mega-company can come into a field with an entrenched 800-pound gorilla and make a great showing anyway. It's not inconceivable that HP can do the same. Copy Apple's successes. BUY some development houses like Microsoft did Bungie and MAKE big names your exclusive. Create a real ecosystem not just out of apps, but some awesome accessories that are also car-friendly. Make Touchstone standard and expand the line.

A few moves like that, and HP will move plenty of phones and tablets.
    Maybe Multiple personalities?
    Which Mikah are we getting today? the pessimist or the optimist?

Originally Posted by mikah912
    Much-awaited? By who? The current microdemographic of WebOS users?

Let me put it this way: Let's assume that HP cannot significantly undercut the iPad in price (spoiler: They can't). If they offer a tablet that browses, plays music, and does Twitter and Facebook, and Apple offers one that browses (better), plays music (better), does Twitter and Facebook, has ondevice content providers for books, comics, movies, and TV shows, streams Hulu, streams NetFlix, plays a much wider selection of games, gets better battery life, has an operating system people already know and are familiar with, is used by their friends, etc.....

....why is a PalmPad going to be a runaway success even with heavy marketing?

Remember HP's successfully marketed-and-sold computers run Windows.
    [qoute]
    Originally Posted by rfceo
    With HP dropping Win7 and concentrating on WebOS that alone will drive WebOS along. Then add to that all the other things that HP wants to do with WebOS: Tablets, Netbooks and printers, maybe other items, that will bring the developers to WebOS. They will develop and market cutting edge handhelds, that is where the future is.
    mikah:
    Cutting edge handhelds? Really? What cutting edge handhelds have they created thus far, or what cutting edge device makers have they acquired recently? Remember, Palm's hardware was consistently considered a weakpoint.[/quote]

mikah :
    [quote]Oh enough with the coddling of feelings already. I called it a jumble of hilarity because I think it is. Anytime someone claims a product with virtually ZERO percent of marketshare and mindshare is going to be "a winner" alongside one with 20 percent marketshare and almost incalculable mindshare, it seems so far from reality that I consider it funny. [\Quote]

You think its laughable that webOS is going to be a winner.
    We all know if its a loser.... its a goner.
    so which mikah do we have with us today?
    Aw, cute. My own little stalker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast