Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    More hang-ups than hits in smartphone market

Does this sound familiar?....
    Verizon the problem for Microsoft
    "...Microsoft was not wrong in its approach or execution. Indeed, the phone got raves from top reviewers like the New York Times David Pogue, who wrote that "Microsoft had three genuinely great ideas" with the Kin.

So what went wrong? Well, changing Microsoft's perception into a hip and interesting company is not easy. More significantly, Microsoft picked the wrong wireless partner, Verizon (VZ). The nation's top carrier did a lousy job of marketing the Kin phones for Microsoft, instead pushing customers toward smartphones such as the original Motorola Droid, which Verizon heavily markets. After the Kin was pulled, Microsoft employees who secretly shopped Verizon for smartphones reported that Verizon salespeople rarely mentioned the Kin as a worthy product.

http://www.appolicious.com/finance/a...rtphone-market
    Looks like ilovedessert (take care, Jay) missed one.
    I would agree that Verizon wasn't the best choice of carrier but I don't agree that "Microsoft was not wrong in its approach or execution". The sidekick was a successful phone but the market for those kind of devices is gone. Kid's want iPhones. My friend bought his tween daughters iPod touches because he didn't want to pay for two more data plans.
    I don't know any teens with iphones.

They all seem to have blackberry's (prob. since verizon gives them free on family plans).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I don't know any teens with iphones.

They all seem to have blackberry's (prob. since verizon gives them free on family plans).
    I don't know any teens with either but I do know several tweens & teens that want an iPhone. OTOH for messaging, nothing beats a BB so I can see why it would be popular.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 07/22/2010 at 12:39 PM.
    I've seen lots of kids with BBs. I wouldn't buy a kid an iPhone considering how they take care of things, lol. All glass is asking for trouble.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I would agree that Verizon wasn't the best choice of carrier but I don't agree that "Microsoft was not wrong in its approach or execution". The sidekick was a successful phone but the market for those kind of devices is gone. Kid's want iPhones. My friend bought his tween daughters iPod touches because he didn't want to pay for two more data plans.
    I'm going to bet dumbphones are still selling. The problem is the Kin data rate and the price was ridiculous. Smartphone prices for a dumbphone, even with cool features, won't go over well if you take a good look at other phones in the Verizon store. And see fully functional smartphones for the same prices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Had the Kin been on T-Mobile M$ might have been able to market it as a upgrade/update for existing Sidekick users

But because they chose to take the product away from T-Mobile to Verizon, when the Sidekick brand was in any case owned by T-Mobile, and then they completely rewrote the software and applications -- there was no incumbent audience for the Kin to build from.

Had they kept it on T-Mobile, called it the SIDEKICK 2.0, it might have had some success.

As it was it was nothing less than a $500-600 million dollar catastrophe -- something only Microsoft could write off as a rounding error.

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

BTW -- one of the things we perhaps learned during the Kin debacle was that last year's M$ Sidekick data "cloud" disaster possibly had a more malevolent original impetus -- that it may have been no "accident" .

Most everyone (including me) last year assumed that when M$ announced that every Sidekick user's data had been lost, that this was the result of ordinary M$ incompetency -- what other explanation could there be ??

We learned in the aftermath of the Kin catastrophe that M$'s management decided that they wanted almost no part of what they got from Danger. They didn't want their software, they didn't want their hardware, their developers, or it turns out -- its legacy users.

The Sidekick Brand is wholly owned by T-Mobile -- M$ only purchased the Danger brand. Moreover M$ was intent on moving the product entirely away from T-Mobile to Verizon, and rebranding it with a completely different name: Kin. (meaning that there would be almost no natural upgrade path to the Kin by T-Mobile's Sidekickers).

This meant that the existing legacy T-Mobile Sidekick users whose data had to be supported by M$'s cloud servers, were not really a potential pool of future Kin customers -- but rather just an expensive burden that M$'s management wanted to be well rid of.

I am postulating that until the news of their "Cloud" meltdown became a world wide corporate embarrassment, M$ had hoped that the Sidekickers could just disappear, or be maybe paid off by giving them some cash or free Kins or whatever.

If I'm right, that was pretty evil...
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/22/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Looks like ilovedessert (take care, Jay) missed one.
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Had the Kin been on T-Mobile M$ might have been able to market it as a upgrade/update for existing Sidekick users

But because they chose to take the product away from T-Mobile to Verizon, when the Sidekick brand was in any case owned by T-Mobile, and then they completely rewrote the software and applications -- there was no incumbent audience for the Kin to build from.

Had they kept it on T-Mobile, called it the SIDEKICK 2.0, it might have had some success.

As it was it was nothing less than a $500-600 million dollar catastrophe -- something only Microsoft could write off as a rounding error.
    Kin listed as at least $240 million writeoff in Microsoft earnings report -- Engadget

"unfortunately, but we can add this figure to the $500 million Danger acquisition and the full marketing cost for the product (which we also don't know, but anecdotally, it was on par with other major campaigns) to reach... well, at least $800 million in regret for the folks in Redmond."

They lost that much money but still came out profitable. Interesting.

Microsoft reports $4.5b in profit, a record $16.04b in revenue -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

...at least $800 million in regret for the folks in Redmond." ...

Microsoft reports $4.5 billion in profit, a record $16.04b in revenue...

incredible.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)