Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Comfortable enough. Even on the ipad i was zooming in to read what i needed to.
    I wish I could zoom on my Netbook. The iPad provides a far superior browsing experience.
    Not to a netbook or notebook running an 11 inch screen at 1366x768. Way less scrolling. Every website works. You can keep endless amounts of pages open longer with no reloading. All video plays. No virtual keyboard eating up half the screen if you want to type lengthy posts on a forum like this. Finally, I don't have to hold the thing the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not to a netbook or notebook running an 11 inch screen at 1366x768. Way less scrolling. Every website works. You can keep endless amounts of pages open longer with no reloading. All video plays. No virtual keyboard eating up half the screen if you want to type lengthy posts on a forum like this. Finally, I don't have to hold the thing the whole time.
    I have always found laptops either too large or too cramped. If I want to do real work I would rather stick to my desktop.

I agree though that typing long posts on an iPad is a PITA though.
    The current gen of hardware is just not there yet. There is no combination of arm8/9 cpu or ram sufficient to do the kinds of tasks I need to get done in any reasonable amount of time. Hopefully in the next 3 to 5 years arm cpus can get to have parity with modern laptops of today. Of course it would have to have a port replicator/dock in order to offset the hardware that you don't want to take along (disk writers, etc). I hope that in 3 to 5 I can live without buying a laptop and get by with a webOS device that has like 4 to 8gb of RAM, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have always found laptops either too large or too cramped. If I want to do real work I would rather stick to my desktop.

I agree though that typing long posts on an iPad is a PITA though.
    I have a netbook exactly like the one I referred to. It's essentially a non-touchscreen iPad with a thin, 92-percent-of-full-size keyboard attached. Well, that, and a Webcam, speakers, USB ports, etc. Just as light. Bigger, better screen tho. I can watch HD video fullscreen because an Nvidia Ion in there. Good stuff.

iPads are fun and incredibly cool. Make no mistake. Millions love 'em. Tens of millions more will when prices drop and they get better. But for right now, it's not even sufficient for the media I DO consume.

For example, my wife and I were laying about in bed the other evening and wanted to watch something interesting. Nothing was on DirectTV, so we pulled up Hulu on my machine and ended up watching several episodes of Louie on FX (Fantastic show, BTW). I could do that if I had an iPad as well, but I'd either be holding it the whole time or putting it into a leather case with a flip stand and angling for the best viewing option. We just put my netbook down, angled it once, and forgot about it. And we watched it in widescreen HD the entire time. On iPad, you get black bars, so you're really only using about 7-inches of screen and it's not truly in HD. Why would I pay $500-900 for something that does stuff I already do, but more awkwardly?
    It's true the iPad does not come with an attached keyboard, but you can get the kb as a separate accessory.

It's highly unlikely that the HP slate or PalmPad will come with an attached keyboard. Does that mean they won't succeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Does that mean they won't succeed?
    No, but they won't succeed for other reasons.
    Mary Jo Foley from ZdNet.com is another iPad convert: I confess: I bought an iPad (and so far I love it) | ZDNet
    Make sure the kids do not see or get the iPad - keyboard be damned: HELP! My Kids Are Addicted To My iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    No, but they won't succeed for other reasons.
    Any competitor against Apple can succeed if Google, HP and/or Microsoft leverages their considerable heft to form media partnerships so that their customers also can get official Marvel and DC comic book apps, brand name magazine apps, and easy TV shows, movies, and music from day one.

Any consumer-oriented slate without this same ecosystem will underwhelm greatly, no matter how well-designed.
    Make sure the kids do not see or get the iPad - keyboard be damned: HELP! My Kids Are Addicted To My iPad
    I don't think anyone's arguing that it's not perfect for media-consuming zombies like this lady and her family.
    Any competitor against Apple can succeed if Google, HP and/or Microsoft leverages their considerable heft to form media partnerships so that their customers also can get official Marvel and DC comic book apps, brand name magazine apps, and easy TV shows, movies, and music from day one.

Any consumer-oriented slate without this same ecosystem will underwhelm greatly, no matter how well-designed.
    Do you think a slate/tablet without a keyboard can succeed (I do)? How do you define success?
    Do you think a slate/tablet without a keyboard can succeed (I do)? How do you define success?
    I was answering yes to your first question with my previous post. Success pretty much means a couple millions of sales per year, some sort of critical mass, and establishing an ecosystem like the one I referred to.
    I don't think anyone's arguing that it's not perfect for media-consuming zombies like this lady and her family.
    So a woman who only uses PCs, writes professionally about MS, has never owned an Apple product, and says,

"This is the first Apple product Iíve ever owned. I never saw the need for an iPod (I bought a Sony Walkman MP3 player, and later a Zune HD). I never lusted after an iPhone (especially because I use my phone to make phone calls). And I never wanted or needed an iMac or a MacBook, as I had so many PCs from which to choose."

And NOW, she's a "zombie." Got it.

You want to talk arrogance? We got loads right here....apparently, anyone who doesn't use technology the same way you do is to be derided?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    So a woman who only uses PCs, writes professionally about MS, has never owned an Apple product, and says,

"This is the first Apple product Iíve ever owned. I never saw the need for an iPod (I bought a Sony Walkman MP3 player, and later a Zune HD). I never lusted after an iPhone (especially because I use my phone to make phone calls). And I never wanted or needed an iMac or a MacBook, as I had so many PCs from which to choose."

And NOW, she's a "zombie." Got it.

You want to talk arrogance? We got loads right here....apparently, anyone who doesn't use technology the same way you do is to be derided?
    Uh, sorry to interrupt your rant, but I was talking about the OTHER article.

Yeah.
    For example, my wife and I were laying about in bed the other evening and wanted to watch something interesting. Nothing was on DirectTV, so we pulled up Hulu on my machine and ended up watching several episodes of Louie on FX (Fantastic show, BTW). I could do that if I had an iPad as well, but I'd either be holding it the whole time or putting it into a leather case with a flip stand and angling for the best viewing option. We just put my netbook down, angled it once, and forgot about it. And we watched it in widescreen HD the entire time. On iPad, you get black bars, so you're really only using about 7-inches of screen and it's not truly in HD. Why would I pay $500-900 for something that does stuff I already do, but more awkwardly?
    I have the netflix app on my iPad but only really use it when my wife and I didn't want to watch the same thing. I would rather watch stuff on my 50" Plasma in the living room which has a PS3 and a Tivo with a 1 terabyte harddrive attached to it (along with the multi-channel surround sound).
    Uh, sorry to interrupt your rant, but I was talking about the OTHER article.

Yeah.

Ah. My bad.

Rant still applies. i just have to find someplace to use it.......
    Here is my iPad use case. Someone staying with me needed to find a location in Manhattan. He turns on his laptop, before he has even logged in, I am showing him the location on my iPad.
    I have the netflix app on my iPad but only really use it when my wife and I didn't want to watch the same thing. I would rather watch stuff on my 50" Plasma in the living room which has a PS3 and a Tivo with a 1 terabyte harddrive attached to it (along with the multi-channel surround sound).
    Me too, but first I have to buy such a setup!

We just have a 42-inch HDTV with a DVD recorder/player attached in the bedroom. No HD DVR. No PS3. No hard drive. So if it's late at night and nothing we want to watch is on Direct TV or any of the premium channels, we sometimes don't feel like plopping down on the couch to watch something off our old TiVO. Enter Hulu on my Mini 311.

But when I grow up, I wanna be like you. :-)
    Here is my iPad use case. Someone staying with me needed to find a location in Manhattan. He turns on his laptop, before he has even logged in, I am showing him the location on my iPad.
    ADGRANT
    You certainly are keen on seeing SJ go. I think your motives might be a bit suspect though.
    hey there proud ipad owner!
    they closed the steve jobs thread.... Right after you post... So I could not reply.
    I could care less what SJ does. I am not an apple product hater.... But I am a SJ hater.
    people gave their opinions on if he should retire.
    I gave mine....
    I hope apple stays competitive for many years to come. I encourage competitiin... I do not try to crush it by spending countless hours discrediting struggling companies.
    I spend countless hours supporting ones that offer products that I want to see carry on.
    suspect motives? I would look in the mirror.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/23/2010 at 08:50 AM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast