Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And where do they keep all their digital files? 64GB ain't , excuse my language. There are 1TB drives out now and they cannot be used by the iPad.
    1. Because the iPad, like all "i porducts, doesn't allow simple disk usage. I was shocked to see the 5th gen. Nano actually allows limited disk use to remove videos taken. But I'm betting you cannot simply just drag files over to the Nano unless you're in iTunes. The folder structure doesn't show up.
    2. There's no way to connect an external drive anyway. Once again, no USB ports.
    The iPad as it is currently, cannot and will not truly replace PCs, plain and simple. Except for people who indeed barely do anything.
    P.S. Oh yes, can't burn a CD or DVD either from an iPad.
    Perhaps they could store their media in the cloud?

You're aware that you can store docs on the iPad right? Without connecting to a PC right? (it has Dropbox and SugarSync access)

Who burns CD's or DVD's still? I have about 50 blanks of each that have been untouched in 18 months... seriously? you burn media? That is so 1990's
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post

You're aware that you can store docs on the iPad right? Without connecting to a PC right? (it has Dropbox and SugarSync access)

Who burns CD's or DVD's still? I have about 50 blanks of each that have been untouched in 18 months... seriously? you burn media? That is so 1990's
    depending on the Cloud for your data, your life ???

maybe you should talk to those Sidekick folks after M$ mangled their system transition last year

Microsoft loses Sidekick users' personal data
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    depending on the Cloud for your data, your life ???

maybe you should talk to those Sidekick folks after M$ mangled their system transition last year

Microsoft loses Sidekick users' personal data | Cloud Computing - InfoWorld
    I don't, I have a Mac that is backed up to the cloud (and there is an iPhone App to get to any of my files)

Somewhat disposable stuff, lives on Dropbox.

You do realize that PreCentral is "in the Cloud" right?
    ...You do realize that PreCentral is "in the Cloud" right?
    though I cherish every syllable I compose for here like each is the key to eternal life, I suspect that if PreCentral disappeared it would affect most of us somewhat less than if our unbacked up personal hard drives crashed.

You are backing up to the cloud -- not depending on it exclusively
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/21/2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    though I cherish every syllable I compose for here like each is the key to eternal life, I suspect that if the PreCentral disappeared it would affect most of us somewhat less than if our unbacked up personal hard drives crashed.

You are backing up to the cloud -- not depending on it exclusively
    Use an Exchange server?

I don't want to be online streaming all the time. I burned some cool stuff that looks great on my TV.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Use an Exchange server?

Exchange -- is that found in one of the more obscure sections of fine print in M$'s TOS agreement -- "whereas in Exchange for M$ allowing you the user to lease our software -- software to be used only on this one device -- you are to Exchange your eternal soul..." ???

No -- I don't use Exchange.

BTW -- one of the things we perhaps learned during the Kin debacle was that last year's M$ Sidekick data "cloud" disaster possibly had a more malevolent original impetus -- that it may have been no "accident" .

Most everyone (including me) last year assumed that when M$ announced that every Sidekick user's data had been lost, that this was the result of ordinary M$ incompetency -- what other explanation could there be ??

We learned in the aftermath of the Kin catastrophe that M$'s management decided that they wanted almost no part of what they got from Danger. They didn't want their software, they didn't want their hardware, their developers, or it turns out -- its legacy users.

The Sidekick Brand is wholly owned by T-Mobile -- M$ only purchased the Danger brand. Moreover M$ was intent on moving the product entirely away from T-Mobile to Verizon, and rebranding it with a completely different name: Kin. (meaning that there would be almost no natural upgrade path to the Kin by T-Mobile's Sidekickers).

This meant that the existing legacy T-Mobile Sidekick users whose data had to be supported by M$'s cloud servers, were not really a potential pool of future Kin customers -- but rather just an expensive burden that M$'s management wanted to be well rid of.

I am postulating that until the news of their "Cloud" meltdown became a world wide corporate embarrassment, M$ had hoped that the Sidekickers could just disappear, or be maybe paid off by giving them some cash or free Kins or whatever.

If I'm right, that was pretty evil...
    I think the current ipad stinks as a potential replacement for my netbook

firstly, I like a keyboard, it makes for a more involving experience, with full tactile feedback. The keyboard also does a marvelous job of actually keeping the screen upright and viewable in my lap. I can watch a movie on a train sitting normally with both hands free. I watch people with ipads holding it with a contorted wrist over the top knees pulled to there chest and nexk crunched down. It seems silly. Now I have seen people with cases that allow them to prop it, but they lack the balast a keyboard provides and are prone to toppleing.

an expandable storage card slot thing is something I want.

I also want a webcam, which the netbook has.

I also want a usb because most people use those usb keys still for files.
    more importantly I want usb for the thing pretty much everyone does, take pics off the camera. You need an adaptor for the ipad, I don't want some silly adaptor thing hanging off

I want to run software and not be limited to an app store unless I do something to my device that is broken by an update.

I want the full actual internet, not what someone else thinks it should be. And to that point I actually need flash for online tutorials and a flash based study question bank, not available for iphone.

I like multitasking.

I don't want to use itunes for everything.

it's a great piece of kit and for millions it "just works" but for me it just dosnt make sense.

now as for the ui snappynes, and the great speed, I would love to see that on my netbook.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't want to be online streaming all the time. I burned some cool stuff that looks great on my TV.
    I neither stream (except for old BBC stuff) nor burn stuff on to DVD. Blu-Ray is the only way to watch movies.

It's pretty clear that the iPad is not a desktop replacement but it can replace a net book or small laptop as a second computer.
    Unfortunately, I don't think the stuff I burned was uploaded in HD format. But it wasn't exactly movies.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    When you look at some of the killer apps available on the iPad, you have a new appreciation of the device's potential

Pulse newsreader is one and the latest killer app is Flipboard. The experience is so much better than on a desktop or Netbook.

When you look at some of the killer apps available on the iPad, you have a new appreciation of the device's potential

Pulse newsreader is one and the latest killer app is Flipboard. The experience is so much better than on a desktop or Netbook.

It does great credit to the App creators, iOS, and the iPad hardware designers that they can successfully do such creative stuff on a device ostensibly less powerful than a netbook (and little more than a big iPhone).

In any event I doubt there is any reason why there could not be versions as good for other OSes
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

firstly, I like a keyboard, it makes for a more involving experience, with full tactile feedback. The keyboard also does a marvelous job of actually keeping the screen upright and viewable in my lap. I can watch a movie on a train sitting normally with both hands free. I watch people with ipads holding it with a contorted wrist over the top knees pulled to there chest and neck crunched down. It seems silly. Now I have seen people with cases that allow them to prop it, but they lack the ballast a keyboard provides and are prone to toppling.

more importantly I want usb for the thing pretty much everyone does, take pics off the camera. You need an adaptor for the ipad, I don't want some silly adaptor thing hanging off

I want to run software and not be limited to an app store unless I do something to my device that is broken by an update.

I want the full actual internet, not what someone else thinks it should be. And to that point I actually need flash for online tutorials and a flash based study question bank, not available for iphone.

I like multitasking.

it's a great piece of kit and for millions it "just works" but for me it just dosnt make sense.

now as for the ui snappynes, and the great speed, I would love to see that on my netbook.
    Agree with just about all you said.

The iPad is a disruptive technology from the POV of not just the OEMs, but of Intel and M$ too.

But I don't think OEMs need be as discombobulated by the iPad as they likely are.

Accelerometer equipped "Lap Slates" with high quality switchable screens, keyboards (??), USB ports, camera, GPS, multitasking, cardreader, and a mediacentric non-Windows OS could become competitive -- especially if bootstrapped from the existing Android ecosystem.

I know I don't want a gizmo that I have to hold, that doesn't have USB ports, has limited storage, doesn't have a keyboard, doesn't have flash, or the freedom to install what applications and media I might prefer.

Intel ought feel especially threatened by the iPad. They've already lost out to ARM based CPUs in mobile phones -- they now risk being displaced in the mobile computing space as well.

This should motivate them to build chips that can surpass the ipad's efficiency and low power consumption, and yet handle media and applications with as much grace --while being inexpensive to OEMs. Perhaps thats what they intend to do, but all of heard of are plans for more efficient versions of the Atom.

I think M$ is for a variety of reasons, unlikely to produce any version of an OS that can serve this niche. Too encumbered by legacy code, too expensive, and too dependent on powerful hardware -- all these things and others work against them in this market.

But I don't think netbooks are dead as a category -- Intel and M$ just need to allow much better hardware to be used (end the crazy artificial limits so OEMS can creatively differentiate themselves), and M$ needs to charge less for a more efficient, less demanding Windows version.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/22/2010 at 05:06 AM.
    Agree with just about all you said.
    Intel ought feel especially threatened by the iPad. They've already lost out to ARM based CPUs in mobile phones -- they now risk being displaced in the mobile computing space as well.

This should motivate them to build chips that can surpass the ipad's efficiency and low power consumption, and yet handle media and applications with as much grace --while being inexpensive to OEMs. Perhaps thats what they intend to do, but all of heard of are plans for more efficient versions of the Atom.
    Intel isn't really the problem, Microsoft is.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

firstly, I like a keyboard, it makes for a more involving experience, with full tactile feedback. The keyboard also does a marvelous job of actually keeping the screen upright and viewable in my lap. I can watch a movie on a train sitting normally with both hands free. I watch people with ipads holding it with a contorted wrist over the top knees pulled to there chest and nexk crunched down. It seems silly. Now I have seen people with cases that allow them to prop it, but they lack the balast a keyboard provides and are prone to toppleing.

I like multitasking.

You could've stopped at kb. That's an issue i couldn't get around. And even if apple actually made using a kb bearable, the simple apps available are garbage when you live in a windows & office world.

An ipad can't replace a desktop, laptop, or even a netbook/light laptop. The only way it can depends on if your needs are just very very simple. And let's be honest, if you actually do feel an ipad can come close to replacing your laptop, then so can a smartphone.
    Well, some people thought media consumption was computing since they did it on a computer. That's fine.

It's a good complement to a computer, but no amount of fancy apps will let it fully replace a computer since it needs one to operate anyway.

I'd simply rather have stuff like Flipboard or whatever on a big screen smartphone, then keep my HP Mini 311 for real computing on the go or in the bedroom when I need it. Does Hulu, comic book reading, and every other media function of an iPad just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    An ipad can't replace a desktop, laptop, or even a netbook/light laptop. The only way it can depends on if your needs are just very very simple. And let's be honest, if you actually do feel an ipad can come close to replacing your laptop, then so can a smartphone.
    The problem with smartphones is the size of the screen. Either too large to fit in the hand/pocket or too small to browse the web comfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's a good complement to a computer, but no amount of fancy apps will let it fully replace a computer since it needs one to operate anyway.

I'd simply rather have stuff like Flipboard or whatever on a big screen smartphone, then keep my HP Mini 311 for real computing on the go or in the bedroom when I need it. Does Hulu, comic book reading, and every other media function of an iPad just fine.
    You don't really need a computer to use an iPad unless you want to transfer music or other files over. Email/Calendar/Contacts can all be synced via the "cloud" and apps can be installed OTA.

True an iPad can't replace households only computer but how many Apple buying households only have one computer these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You don't really need a computer to use an iPad unless you want to transfer music or other files over. Email/Calendar/Contacts can all be synced via the "cloud" and apps can be installed OTA.
    Don't you have to plug it into iTunes to use for the first time? How would you download OS upgrades?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The problem with smartphones is the size of the screen. Either too large to fit in the hand/pocket or too small to browse the web comfortably.
    Comfortable enough. Even on the ipad i was zooming in to read what i needed to.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast