Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 139
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I guess I misunderstood your argument about the processor then. But let me see if I can correct your "politician like" statement above. The snapdragon processor is apparently "new" technology when compared to the pre, according to the above statement. But you felt it relevant to state that the Snapdragon was running on a phone at the same time as the launch of the Pre, and therefore wasn't a good comparison to "new" technology. You might have to correct me on this statement, but wasn't android running version 1.6 when the pre came out? And I am quite certain that the first phone running android 2.0 was the droid... 2.0 was a BIG jump for android, and 2.1 was another significant improvement.

    You validated the OP's comparison with your above statement, but disputed it in earlier posts.

    So which is it? you can't have both

    You don't even need to answer the question... all I'm doing here is showing how out of control this has gotten. I'm not going to open this thread anymore because arguing over the internet gains about as much as trying to convince your cat that it should feel bad for pooping in the corner. (the cat thing doesn't work... trust me)
    How you think I have "validated" the comparison or that I am making the Snapdragon look "new" compared to the OMAP in the Pre is beyond me. Anyway...dead horse beaten.
  2. #102  
    Just Curious... Did running the custom kernel also add all of the features currently lacking in a stock webOS device?
  3. #103  
    mikah...
    sounds like you are experiencing lag on you pre. Let me help you with that :
    install govnah
    install uberkernal
    select sreenstate
    select performance setting.

    worked wonders for my palm pre!!!!
    very little lag!
    good luck!

    thanks for your unbiased, non subjective posts!
    I will assume that you call it like you see it. You post both positive comments highlighting strengths of webOS and harsh, criticism of what you feel is lacking... Equally.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some of your future posts... And what threads you choose to post on.
    we could all learn plenty from you.. On how/ what we should post on...and what and how we should support our opininions and facts.
    when I get some time.. I'm going to take a lok back on your previuos posts in these forums... Get a better gauge of how to be an effective contributor on P|C.
    thank you for your tireless efforts to point out flaws, not only within webOS... But of those here that contribute to these forums.
    here's to working towards forums that meet your level headed... Unbiased, un subjective standards!
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    mikah...
    sounds like you are experiencing lag on you pre. Let me help you with that :
    install govnah
    install uberkernal
    select sreenstate
    select performance setting.

    worked wonders for my palm pre!!!!
    very little lag!
    good luck!

    thanks for your unbiased, non subjective posts!
    I will assume that you call it like you see it. You post both positive comments highlighting strengths of webOS and harsh, criticism of what you feel is lacking... Equally.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some of your future posts... And what threads you choose to post on.
    we could all learn plenty from you.. On how/ what we should post on...and what and how we should support our opininions and facts.
    when I get some time.. I'm going to take a lok back on your previuos posts in these forums... Get a better gauge of how to be an effective contributor on P|C.
    thank you for your tireless efforts to point out flaws, not only within webOS... But of those here that contribute to these forums.
    here's to working towards forums that meet your level headed... Unbiased, un subjective standards!
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    That's what I'm saying....
  6. #106  
    2 android users... With nothing to say!
    life is good!
    I see your big fans... I think I will start spending some time over at android central
    see you @ android central....
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    2 android users... With nothing to say!
    life is good!
    I see your big fans... I think I will start spending some time over at android central
    see you @ android central....
    A Pre fan with nothing (worthwhile) to say.

    Looking forward to seeing you on Android Central!

    I'll see your and up you !
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So using an experimental kernel that developer explicitly tells you will fail and force you to doctor your phone, you were able to get the Pre on par with an Android phone using a chip clocked lower running an older version of Android with a skin on top of it? Awesome.

    It's a fool's game. By the time HPalm releases a comparably spec'd device, Motorola and/or HTC will be unleashing their 1.5-2GHZ devices with Froyo and/or Gingerbread. It's pointless.

    Make WebOS run smooth and stutter-free on a stock Sprint Pre. Everything else should be cake after that.
    The way I look at it is that a Palm Pre that is 1.5 years old with a free tweak can outperform a newly released phone with brand new hardware.
  9. #109  
    Alright guys, keep it civil and stay on topic.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've explicitly given praise to the developers of these overclocks. I've said I USE an overclocked Pre. I haven't purchased an Evo. So obviously I ALSO appreciate their work and endorse it through action as well as word.

    But I don't consider an aftermarket-modded import with a guaranteed to burnout engine from years ago being able to "outrun" or keep pace with a stock model as something to celebrate. That's just my take. It works for me in speeding up a laggy OS that should be getting the speed from better coding. But I'm not going to act as if my device keeps pace with handsets that could smoke it in several areas stock, all areas with a custom ROM or the latest OS and do so at a speed that won't shorten the life like my Pre.

    That's my opinion. Just as valid.
    Overclocking theoretically shortens the lifespan of a CPU. I've had my Quadcore 2.66 CPU overclocked to 3.2Ghz for almost 2 years now and it's showing no sign of burning out whatsoever. I know phone CPU's might be different but saying an overclock will burn out a CPU is just speculation. So far I haven't read anyone stating that their Pre had 'burned' out due to overclocking.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    A Pre fan with nothing (worthwhile) to say.

    Looking forward to seeing you on Android Central!

    I'll see your and up you !


    that.... says it all.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The way I look at it is that a Palm Pre that is 1.5 years old with a free tweak can outperform a newly released phone with brand new hardware.
    This is what happens when we don't bother reading a thread decide to comment anyway.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Overclocking theoretically shortens the lifespan of a CPU. I've had my Quadcore 2.66 CPU overclocked to 3.2Ghz for almost 2 years now and it's showing no sign of burning out whatsoever. I know phone CPU's might be different but saying an overclock will burn out a CPU is just speculation. So far I haven't read anyone stating that their Pre had 'burned' out due to overclocking.
    Well, you won't know until it dies.

    That being said, if its worth it to you - if you have weighed the risk versus reward and accept responsiblity for your decision, then, anything else said is irrelevant.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #114  
    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weaser999
    The way I look at it is that a Palm Pre that is 1.5 years old with a free tweak can outperform a newly released phone with brand new hardware.

    This is what happens when we don't bother reading a thread decide to comment anyway. "

    Mikah;

    Actually, HIS comment is more conducive to the thread topic than your contentions that its not a comparison of apples to apples, because, he is faithful to the topic, while you challenge the validity of it when, in fact, the OP said he knew it wasnt a fair comparison.. he was just happy that his year old Pre can hold its own against the EVO.

    Just sayin...

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weaser999
    Actually, HIS comment is more conducive to the thread topic than your contentions that its not a comparison of apples to apples, because, he is faithful to the topic, while you challenge the validity of it when, in fact, the OP said he knew it wasnt a fair comparison.. he was just happy that his year old Pre can hold its own against the EVO.

    Just sayin...

    Your definition of "faithful to the thread topic" is saying exactly what the OP says...again. I challenge the validity because it is factually invalid.

    The Evo does not have brand new hardware. It is hardware that is the exact same age as the Pre. Period.
  16. #116  
    Btw I'm sure it's fine to run your Pre at 1G... Considering palm made a decision to underclock it to begin with due to concerns about out running at it's designed click speed. The again there isn't much shelf life left for the Pre so it likely doesn't matter!
  17. #117  
    haven't tried an evo yet. Might have to switch to the epic just because of hardware problems (atleast wiating for that since it has a qwert) however with the 1ghz all my speed,snappines and such issues are gone phone runs how I expect it to. Only neds gpu support to make it even smoother and save battery as well as make pictures and videos utilize it for instantanious picture viewing and smoother videos (thogh they usually are) 1 ghz would be awesome for webos and anymore would just be more awesome
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Your definition of "faithful to the thread topic" is saying exactly what the OP says...again. I challenge the validity because it is factually invalid.

    The Evo does not have brand new hardware. It is hardware that is the exact same age as the Pre. Period.
    Mikah;

    Wrong. Im sorry, but, dead wrong. And you know it.

    The Pre's hardware was state of the art in January/2009 at CES.. and avialable for sale to the pulic in June/2009.

    The Pre is, therefore, 13 months old.

    The EVO was introduced to market in May/2010. That makes that hardware 2 months old.

    I dont care what they put in there, the choices are what they are... the whole device, as a hardware unit ages from the time the public gets them for sale.

    Thats why, when a year old Pre with a slower processor and less RAM can be overclocked to match, and, at times, even out perform a state of the art EVO that has a more powerful processor and more RAM, its something we can all take note of, as Pre owners.

    Hence the OP's creation of this thread.

    Sigh.

    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/24/2010 at 03:40 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Mikah;

    Wrong. Im sorry, but, dead wrong. And you know it.

    The Pre's hardware was state of the art in January/2009 at CES.. and introduced in June/2009.

    The Pre is, therefore, 13 months old.

    The EVO was introduced to market in April. That makes that hardware 4 months old.

    I dont care what they put in there, the choices are what they are...
    Wait, what?

    Even by your screwy logic, you're contradicting yourself. If we're dating by when the handset was introduced to the market - as you did with the Evo - then the Pre is "therefore" 19 months old. If we're dating by when the handset made it to market, then the Evo is a month and a half old.

    BTW, there's no "choice". The hardware is the same age regardless of when it made it to market and under which company. A netbook that made it to market today with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Atom n450 doesn't have "newer" hardware than a netbook sold with the exact same hardware 4 months ago.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wait, what?

    Even by your screwy logic, you're contradicting yourself. If we're dating by when the handset was introduced to the market - as you did with the Evo - then the Pre is "therefore" 19 months old. If we're dating by when the handset made it to market, then the Evo is a month and a half old.

    BTW, there's no "choice". The hardware is the same age regardless of when it made it to market and under which company. A netbook that made it to market today with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Atom n450 doesn't have "newer" hardware than a netbook sold with the exact same hardware 4 months ago.
    Mikah;

    We are dating based on when it went on sale, as in June/2009 for the Pre and May 2010 for the EVO.

    The "hardware" consists of the whole phone, not some or any portion of it.

    Thats the "age", no matter how you slice it.

    However, by YOUR logic, I guess we human beings don't have individual ages, we all go back to the first amoeba, right?

    Geez.. would do amazing stuff for legal drinking age, voting age and retirement!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions