Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As I've already said, this is absurd. The processors for both machines hit the market around the same time. The very same 1ghz Snapdragon was on the market in devices exactly when the Pre launched. That the Evo just came out is irrelevant. The "new" Evo is using older hardware just like the "old" Pre.
    yes.. You did mention that. What phone was running a snapdragon processor in !une 2009?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    yes.. You did mention that. What phone was running a snapdragon processor in !une 2009?
    Toshiba TG01. HD2 had it a few months later.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    off topic, but---

To the OP, if you want to do a fair comparison, compare your OC'd Pre to an OC'd EVO with a Damage Control or Cyanogen or Fresh or Toast, etc. rom. You'll find that the Pre isn't really in the same league, at least not performance-wise. (Of course, depending on your personal preference, the WebOS UI may trump performance.)
    I really wasn't going to comment on this thread anymore because its seems that what I said in the OP has been completely misunderstood and caused a lot of resentment from some posters. However, I will try and take one more opportunity to clarify what I meant since I am being called out specifically.

I happened to be in the mall and noticed a EVO display (no other phones nearby). It was on my out the door, I didn't plan a trip to the mall to do a comparative study. I had just OC'd my phone to 1.2GHz the day before and wanted to see how its responsiveness (nothing else) stacked up. I thought it would be interesting to see if there was still any lag in comparison to a phone that released virtually a year after the Palm Pre. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison. There can never be such a thing when comparing two different OS's with different hardware. I just wanted to see if webOS with better hardware could be as responsive as more current phones. My experience was yes it could be. I thought others could find this useful. Maybe give them some sense that there is reason to be optimistic about where webOS can go.

Am I aware that I am running the phone out specification and to a point that could/is causing damage to my phone? Yes. But is there really any other means of testing what webOS is capable of at such cpu speeds without trying to mod a new chipset onto the phone? No. Am I aware that the EVO can be OC'd as well and probably then be more responsive than webOS? At 1.2 Ghz? I am not sure. At higher speeds the answer would be very likely. Am I aware that EVO runs an older version of its OS and this could be a factor? Yes, but thats all I had in front of me.

I find it interesting that there are so many people on this forum who seem to react so harshly when someone posts a positive experience with webOS/Palm Pre. Its almost as if they need for everyone to suffer in the same misery that they are in. Unfortunately for these people I have never suffered from any hardware problems or software bugs, so I don't have the negative view that they do. I have had my phone for little over a year now and have enjoyed all the updates, patches, homebrew applications, etc. that seems to come our way on a weekly basis. My phone accomplishes everything I want except for may be being able to view flash content on the web. I like the software design of webOS. I like having a unified email app, IM/TXT app, calendar app, tasks app. I like how I can see everything in one place but also that it keeps everything separate on their servers. I like synergy and the way all the info for my contacts in combined into one card. I like the way notifications are handled and multitasking. Some of the things people complain about missing from webOS are features I don't think I would use. Not that I don't think they should be excluded because I dont use them. I have played with Android and iPhone extensively (I live with people who own them) and these phones would not work for me. This not saying they are bad phones just not what I would like in a phone. So, I have had nothing but a good experience and dont see the need to bash people on this forum who have a positive outlook with regard to this phone. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to get at with my OP.
    Toshiba TG01. HD2 had it a few months later.
    ohh yes... I must have not even heard about that phone.
    why do you think it is that apple, motorolla, htc etc missed the boat on snapdragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Amen to this.

All of the hardware differences and software differences aside, Android still wins right now, simply because of the sheer numbers of people using it. Google is developing @ a clip not yet seen in the mobile industry.

The development on Android from the community is just as fierce as Google. Let's just take this for an example...

The HTC EVO was released on June 3rd. When it was released, there were exactly 34 posts on XDA's forum for the EVO.

Go look @ it now.

[url= 4G Android Development - xda-developers[/url]

There's almost 20,000 posts on the FRONT PAGE alone.

Two threads on the front page have almost 10,000 posts between them. The Cyanogen Mod amassed 3k posts in 3 days. This is for a nightly build that's a in a prealpha state.

This is just for Android modders and users on the HTC EVO ONLY. This isn't including Theming, general questions about the handset, etc. You add those up, and you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 250,000 posts in a few weeks.

Unless HPalm gets off their sorry a$$es and starts pushing forward WebOS, they are going to lose before they even put forth product one.

They just don't have the market nor the mindshare.
    ok guys.. It's pretty easy to crap on the little guy. Times running out. Palm is not a 600 employee company anymore.
    mikah
    barkeja
    kool kid
    do you think this will change marketshare? whow about mindshare?
    http://m.precentral.net/hp-set-expan...oss-enterprise

are they Ogetting off their sorry aaasssses ?

please... Click on the link and comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    A poll doesn't even compare to what I'm linking. It's not even on the same continent.

Go look yourself. I linked to an Android development forum specifically for the EVO. Just look @ the numbers of posts and interaction in the last 5 days.
    it is impressive.
    did the link I provide land on the same continent? Or did it drop all over this planet ...all at once?
    there is no secret google is huge. The secret ... Is how big palm has just become. Sprad the word.
  7.    #67  
    By the way when did this turn into who has better modders/devs? Im sure the users of each platform appreciate their community of modders. Why would you denigrate any of these amazing computer wizs that are probably pushing the corporations to release these really amazing devices and constantly adding new and improved functionalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I happened to be in the mall and noticed a EVO display (no other phones nearby). It was on my out the door, I didn't plan a trip to the mall to do a comparative study. I had just OC'd my phone to 1.2GHz the day before and wanted to see how its responsiveness (nothing else) stacked up. I thought it would be interesting to see if there was still any lag in comparison to a phone that released virtually a year after the Palm Pre. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison. There can never be such a thing when comparing two different OS's with different hardware. I just wanted to see if webOS with better hardware could be as responsive as more current phones. My experience was yes it could be. I thought others could find this useful. Maybe give them some sense that there is reason to be optimistic about where webOS can go.
    Sounds great. Too bad you picked a phone with hardware that was not released "virtually a year after the Palm Pre", but rather released at the same time as the Cortex A8 hardware powering the Pre, and included in handsets released up to a year later. So there's really nothing more "current" about the Evo other than the screen. Even the version of Android it uses was out before WebOS 1.4.

If this was your intent, you should have picked a truly current phone like a Galaxy S or Droid X and made sure it was running a Froyo ROM.

This is a blatantly dishonest comparison. I don't think you intended it to be so. The true age of the Evo hardware is not commonly known.

I find it interesting that there are so many people on this forum who seem to react so harshly when someone posts a positive experience with webOS/Palm Pre. Its almost as if they need for everyone to suffer in the same misery that they are in. Unfortunately for these people I have never suffered from any hardware problems or software bugs, so I don't have the negative view that they do. I have had my phone for little over a year now and have enjoyed all the updates, patches, homebrew applications, etc. that seems to come our way on a weekly basis. My phone accomplishes everything I want except for may be being able to view flash content on the web. I like the software design of webOS. I like having a unified email app, IM/TXT app, calendar app, tasks app. I like how I can see everything in one place but also that it keeps everything separate on their servers. I like synergy and the way all the info for my contacts in combined into one card. I like the way notifications are handled and multitasking. Some of the things people complain about missing from webOS are features I don't think I would use. Not that I don't think they should be excluded because I dont use them. I have played with Android and iPhone extensively (I live with people who own them) and these phones would not work for me. This not saying they are bad phones just not what I would like in a phone. So, I have had nothing but a good experience and dont see the need to bash people on this forum who have a positive outlook with regard to this phone. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to get at with my OP.
    It clarifies that you are trying to brush off legitimate factual correction and criticism with "Well, you guys are just a bunch of meanos who don't like positive things about WebOS". it's one thing to go..."Well, I thought it was current and it was what was on hand." It's another to try to discredit legitimate gripes being due to some "negative agenda".

The former is excusable. The latter is not by a long shot.
    ohh yes... I must have not even heard about that phone.
    why do you think it is that apple, motorolla, htc etc missed the boat on snapdragon?
    Because it's Qualcomm, and they have a less-than-stellar rep due to various driver issues in HTC handsets over the years. The Cortex A8 platforms that Texas Instruments and Intrinsity produce seem more powerful and robust than Qualcomm's in every benchmark I've seen at the same clockspeed.

Of course, since Apple is the only OS maker that actually has optimized software that uses the hardware to the fullest, this is largely moot.
    ok guys.. It's pretty easy to crap on the little guy. Times running out. Palm is not a 600 employee company anymore.
    mikah
    barkeja
    kool kid
    do you think this will change marketshare? whow about mindshare?
    http://m.precentral.net/hp-set-expan...oss-enterprise

are they Ogetting off their sorry aaasssses ?

please... Click on the link and comment.
    Start a new thread, buddy. I'm not through with the titular subject matter of this one.
  11.    #71  
    Sounds great. Too bad you picked a phone with hardware that was not released "virtually a year after the Palm Pre", but rather released at the same time as the Cortex A8 hardware powering the Pre, and included in handsets released up to a year later. So there's really nothing more "current" about the Evo other than the screen. Even the version of Android it uses was out before WebOS 1.4.

If this was your intent, you should have picked a truly current phone like a Galaxy S or Droid X and made sure it was running a Froyo ROM.

This is a blatantly dishonest comparison. I don't think you intended it to be so. The true age of the Evo hardware is not commonly known.

It clarifies that you are trying to brush off legitimate factual correction and criticism with "Well, you guys are just a bunch of meanos who don't like positive things about WebOS". it's one thing to go..."Well, I thought it was current and it was what was on hand." It's another to try to discredit legitimate gripes being due to some "negative agenda".

The former is excusable. The latter is not by a long shot.
    Do you read my posts or are you so burning with rage that you made a bad choice in a phone purchase that you cant see what I am writing.

I said, "noticed a EVO display (no other phones nearby). It was on my out the door, I didn't plan a trip to the mall to do a comparative study."

I think everyone here but you fully understands what I meant by current phone. Current phone means a phone that has recently been made available to the market. The EVO has been available for purchase by the mass consumer in June. I believe that qualifies as current. For clarification I did not know that at the time of the release of the Palm Pre there were better processors available. I would have thought if there were Apple or Google would have used them.

By the way I dont appreciate being called a dishonest person. I never attacked you personally. I would like the same level of respect.

For the record, unlike you, I am not/was not trying to demean/discredit/devalue any Android phone. This was a comparison of personal experience. This is not a scientific study and was titled as such. I was very careful in how I titled my thread so there would be no confusion.
    My point is that Palm should be doing this with their updates because the only real bottleneck is WebOS, not the RAM or the processor. The iPhone 3GS with 256MB of RAM and an identical processor to the Sprint Pre can multitask with iOS4 and run rings around the Pre in UI smoothness and responsiveness. No "Too Many Programs" errors. Way less browser checkerboarding. Every tap registers. Frames aren't dropping. The current Android phones are also a cut above WebOS in speed and responsiveness.

Doubling the Preclock speed does little to change this. I run a heavily overclocked Pre myself. It's still laggy and unoptimized. If anything, I see the lag more clearly now because the rest of the time it's faster.

Mikah;

Oy.

The kernals being developed by WebOSinternals is giving much needed life to this hardware, which is over a year old in the market, and almost 1.5 years old in theory, not to mention probaly 2+ years old in development.

I dont see what the big deal here, is. These kernals kick serious A - that's the point of the OP - they provide enough power and imrpovements to the hardware so that this older hardware can still compete and, in many cases, surpass current smartphone offerings.

Thats a GREAT thing.

If you want to criticize PALM for whatever you feel are hardware/software shortcomings, this isnt the thread to do it.

The OP's point is made and is clearly objective - the SR71 kernal really brings the Pre up a few notches, to the point where it is as fast as, or faster, in most cases, than the EVO.

In HIS opionion.

'nuff said.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Start a new thread, buddy. I'm not through with the titular subject matter of this one.
    hilarious! I have. You don't comment because you are still enjoying hating on pre too much.
    crush the little guy...... While you still can . Ma

LC guy... Thanks for doing a good job of bringing us back on topic.
    hilarious! I have. You don't comment because you are still enjoying hating on pre too much.
    crush the little guy...... While you still can . Ma

LC guy... Thanks for doing a good job of bringing us back on topic.
    Try not to confuse criticism with hating.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Try not to confuse criticism with hating.
    I will . bwhen someone constantly criticizes...its hating.
    there is plenty to be excited about right now... Tons of news coming oyt on HP intentions with webOS. When users ignore that and harp on the negative...hating.
    this is not directed at you... But othrs that have commented on this thread are guilty of it
    I will . bwhen someone constantly criticizes...its hating.
    there is plenty to be excited about right now... Tons of news coming oyt on HP intentions with webOS. When users ignore that and harp on the negative...hating.
    this is not directed at you... But othrs that have commented on this thread are guilty of it
    I see your point. But also there are Android and iOS4 users here. And when they continuously see their OS getting bashed wrongly of course their going to have a problem and say something negative about Webos.
    I see your point. But also there are Android and iOS4 users here. And when they continuously see their OS getting bashed wrongly of course their going to have a problem and say something negative about Webos.
    That's true; But they should keep in mind of the title of this forum. Precentral.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    That's true; But they should keep in mind of the title of this forum. Precentral.net.
    I knew somebody was going to mention that. But it's all about courtesy. If you respect there choice of device, then you will give the same and vice versa.
    I knew somebody was going to mention that. But it's all about courtesy. If you respect there choice of device, then you will give the same and vice versa.
    where on this thread was android as a choice not respected? The op? Posts?
    I think you miss the point rush was trying to make.
    coming onto precentral.net and discrediting webOS, while claiming ios or android superiority "could" be looked at as disrespectful.
    having a history of negative critcism, with little acknowledgement of positive ... Is disrespectful.
    I think anyone posting on this site... Making negative comments about pre or webos, and constantly praising ios or android... Know exactly what they are signing up for.
    I think that's obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Do you read my posts or are you so burning with rage that you made a bad choice in a phone purchase that you cant see what I am writing.
    This is hilarious. Side-splittingly so. More on why in a sec.

[/quote] I think everyone here but you fully understands what I meant by current phone. Current phone means a phone that has recently been made available to the market. The EVO has been available for purchase by the mass consumer in June. I believe that qualifies as current. For clarification I did not know that at the time of the release of the Palm Pre there were better processors available. I would have thought if there were Apple or Google would have used them. [/quote]

A Snapdragon is not "better". That's part of the point.

By the way I dont appreciate being called a dishonest person. I never attacked you personally. I would like the same level of respect.
    Ah, here's where the hilarity begins.

First, you accuse of me of "not reading what you wrote". Which I clearly have due to my detailed responses to you. Then you accuse me of calling you a dishonest person. But let's read what I actually wrote again (or for some of us...the first time. Sigh), ok?:

"This is a blatantly dishonest comparison. I don't think you intended it to be so. The true age of the Evo hardware is not commonly known."

So not only did I not call you a dishonest person, but I went out of my way to say so and be explicit about it. Not only did you not give me the "respect" of reading what I wrote, but you accused me of not doing the same for you.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast