Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    That's a ripoff anyway. The Palm Pre's Craiglist/eBay value is now well below $100. Might as well start a collection to keep lots of junky replacements on hand.

Ahh...."saving" money.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And just until recently no one has been running a Pre that's overclocked 100% of it's original clock speed.
    And i still have a pre that is working fine .... are you suggesting the OC will fry it at that level?
    maybe , maybe not. If someone is worried about it... then they do not CHOOSE that OPTION . LOL!

haters
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's a ripoff anyway. The Palm Pre's Craiglist/eBay value is now well below $100. Might as well start a collection to keep lots of junky replacements on hand.

Ahh...."saving" money.
    like i said.... OC for 6 months now... no frying yet. If im worried about a fried pre... i will scale the oc down via govnah...Options... a beautiful thing

Saving tons of money with my oc pre on sprint network.... you?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    like i said.... OC for 6 months now... no frying yet. If im worried about a fried pre... i will scale the oc down via govnah...Options... a beautiful thing

Saving tons of money with my oc pre on sprint network.... you?
    Same, but that has to do with the network, not the phone. The Pre is a money saver because you don't need insurance now. You can buy replacement units on the street for 50-75 percent of what Sprint charges for them new with a 2-year contract.

That's not exactly a compliment.
    Same, but that has to do with the network, not the phone. The Pre is a money saver because you don't need insurance now. You can buy replacement units on the street for 50-75 percent of what Sprint charges for them new with a 2-year contract.

That's not exactly a compliment.
    you can buy... used , 1 yr old replacements .
    Sprint is selling you a new phone.

Do you use this logic when buying new cars?
    you can buy... used , 1 yr old replacements .
    Sprint is selling you a new phone.

Do you use this logic when buying new cars?
    LOL at comparing a Pre to any car in terms of resale value, durability. I gotta find that magical car lot where I can get a certified pre-owned 2010 model car for 50 percent off the price new without having to sign any new paperwork.
    Want a fair comparison? Compare a stock Palm Pre to a stock iPhone 3G S, which are uhmm, comparable in hardware. You tell me which performs better.

Optimization lies in the software, not the hardware. Throwing hardware at a software problem is not a solution.

You're just putting lipstick on a pig.
    That's about right. But user experience is everything. It's been said before about cameras, but about phones: "The best phone is the one in your hand."

Sadly, people have and will compare uncomparable things ad nauseum: Apples and oranges, men and women, science and religion, computers, phones, cars, guns, even plants! We are just too egocentric a species to ever make objective comparisons anyway.

The design of my Pre is over a year old. I won't even bother comparing it to anything else, because I don't WANT anything else. If I had, I would have bought it instead. Even subjecting myself to these kinds of conversations ends up draining me and making me irritated. And yes, as many have said, that makes it pointless, or worse. Oh the "Blackberry is the same as the Treo from 10 years ago!" Sure, but it hasn't made anyone I know get rid of their BB. They don't care, and may grow less respectful of me for bashing (sic) their intelligence and their product. Is it just bragging rights in the end? IDK. I give up.

I'm happy, I'm neo-old school, I'm dedicated to what I have. So much in fact that I am on my 4th one! ROFL
    Last edited by copasetic; 07/22/2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Indentations
    LOL at comparing a Pre to any car in terms of resale value, durability. I gotta find that magical car lot where I can get a certified pre-owned 2010 model car for 50 percent off the price new without having to sign any new paperwork.
    we are wy off topic...
    but I love the spin.
    you compared buying a used product off of craigslist to buying it brand new in store.
    it's a known fact sprint charges more for pre ... Because the plans save y more in long run. Why are you choosing sprint pre over verizon pre plus ? The answer is obvious.
    we are wy off topic...
    but I love the spin.
    you compared buying a used product off of craigslist to buying it brand new in store.
    it's a known fact sprint charges more for pre ... Because the plans save y more in long run. Why are you choosing sprint pre over verizon pre plus ? The answer is obvious.
    Because that's what you and I both own?
    That's just not accurate at all. The G1 - which premiered almost two years ago - JUST got a Cyanogen mod with Froyo. The guy is a legend, but I guess he doesn't put out product as "safely" as the developers here who warn you not to use their products or else. Ok.

The idea that someone is a "slave" to a Google device when they have endless choices in varying form factors on all four carriers, versus WebOS where you can choose between two aging tiny handsets of dubious quality on three carriers and nothing else, is ridiculous on its face.

I would like to think the next version of WebOS hardware can compete with what Google has on the market then, but that's the problem. Who knows when that will be? What's planned? What are the specs? I know of the Android handset map and OS plans for pretty much the rest of the year, and that's a platform with critical mass and sales behind it. What do we have on WebOS? Faith? Hope?

I'm just tired of people painting this silly picture of Android with critiques that go double for WebOS. The communities and OSes have way more in common than they do differences, and HPalm might wanna take a few notes so they can get above that rather embarrassing 0 percent marketshare.
    off topic, but---
    there is a ridiculous amount of FUD spread on these forums toward the Android platform to make people feel better about their Pres. The Pre is a nice phone with a great UI. If you're happy with it, great! But spreading nonsense about another platform is just sad and juvenile. Some of the Pre fanatics on this board are like high school girls that spread rumors about the new good-looking girl being a dirty **** to make themselves feel better.

As much as I love the Pre developer community and how easy it has become to customize the Pre, the Android community isn't that different. My EVO is now running a new (pre-alpha) Cyanogen Froyo Rom (not overclocked, though it can be) that runs circles around a stock EVO and even my boss's stock Droid X, which both run circles around my overclocked yet still-laggy Pre (running at 800- of course, the Pre is an old phone by today's standards, so that is to be expected). To the OP, if you want to do a fair comparison, compare your OC'd Pre to an OC'd EVO with a Damage Control or Cyanogen or Fresh or Toast, etc. rom. You'll find that the Pre isn't really in the same league, at least not performance-wise. (Of course, depending on your personal preference, the WebOS UI may trump performance.)

The Android developers, and there are A LOT of them, do just as good of a job developing as the WebOS community does. They're just as smart and just as talented. I would never put down either developer community because they do great work for their respective platforms. Those that proselytize about the Pre because of how hackable it is as compared to Android are really only showing their ignorance. It is similarly simple to "hack" both platforms. Once you get the necessary tools in place, be it Preware and WebosQI for WebOS or Rom Manager and other tools on Android, you can do a whole bunch of stuff on either platform that isn't available out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    off topic, but---
    there is a ridiculous amount of FUD spread on these forums toward the Android platform to make people feel better about their Pres. The Pre is a nice phone with a great UI. If you're happy with it, great! But spreading nonsense about another platform is just sad and juvenile. Some of the Pre fanatics on this board are like high school girls that spread rumors about the new good-looking girl being a dirty **** to make themselves feel better.

As much as I love the Pre developer community and how easy it has become to customize the Pre, the Android community isn't that different. My EVO is now running a new (pre-alpha) Cyanogen Froyo Rom (not overclocked, though it can be) that runs circles around a stock EVO and even my boss's stock Droid X, which both run circles around my overclocked yet still-laggy Pre (running at 800- of course, the Pre is an old phone by today's standards, so that is to be expected). To the OP, if you want to do a fair comparison, compare your OC'd Pre to an OC'd EVO with a Damage Control or Cyanogen or Fresh or Toast, etc. rom. You'll find that the Pre isn't really in the same league, at least not performance-wise. (Of course, depending on your personal preference, the WebOS UI may trump performance.)

The Android developers, and there are A LOT of them, do just as good of a job developing as the WebOS community does. They're just as smart and just as talented. I would never put down either developer community because they do great work for their respective platforms. Those that proselytize about the Pre because of how hackable it is as compared to Android are really only showing their ignorance. It is similarly simple to "hack" both platforms. Once you get the necessary tools in place, be it Preware and WebosQI for WebOS or Rom Manager and other tools on Android, you can do a whole bunch of stuff on either platform that isn't available out of the box.
    Amen to this.

All of the hardware differences and software differences aside, Android still wins right now, simply because of the sheer numbers of people using it. Google is developing @ a clip not yet seen in the mobile industry.

The development on Android from the community is just as fierce as Google. Let's just take this for an example...

The HTC EVO was released on June 3rd. When it was released, there were exactly 34 posts on XDA's forum for the EVO.

Go look @ it now.

EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

There's almost 20,000 posts on the FRONT PAGE alone.

Two threads on the front page have almost 10,000 posts between them. The Cyanogen Mod amassed 3k posts in 3 days. This is for a nightly build that's a in a prealpha state.

This is just for Android modders and users on the HTC EVO ONLY. This isn't including Theming, general questions about the handset, etc. You add those up, and you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 250,000 posts in a few weeks.

Unless HPalm gets off their sorry a$$es and starts pushing forward WebOS, they are going to lose before they even put forth product one.

They just don't have the market nor the mindshare.
    Last edited by Crackbone; 07/22/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    @odd lou
    I understand where ur ciming from... But I think the op is just stating that it's impressive oc patched old pre can still hang with new stock evo.
    I think it would be fair to compare new webos phone ( if released within 3 months of evo release) to evo.
    my burrito is bigger than your burrito ;-)
    @ mikah
    your the one lol @ pre saving money.
    I get ur point... It would be cheaper for me to buy used pre from ebay /craigslist. My point... Worth extra $30 for refurb mo
    but you went on... Laughed.. Commented it was not a compliment etc...
    I'm impressed with pre and homebrew community.
    I am satisfied with the patches and oc that keeps my pre running swell.
    because I support/defend that does not make ne a cheerleader.
    we will see if people's decision to leave webos for another platform is the right choice...
    I think waiting to se what webOS has to offer first, then make a decision.. Is the smartest way to go.
    meanwhile... I will enjoy my OC'ed pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Amen to this.

All of the hardware differences and software differences aside, Android still wins right now, simply because of the sheer numbers of people using it. Google is developing @ a clip not yet seen in the mobile industry.

The development on Android from the community is just as fierce as Google. Let's just take this for an example...

The HTC EVO was released on June 3rd. When it was released, there were exactly 34 posts on XDA's forum for the EVO.

Go look @ it now.

[url= 4G Android Development - xda-developers[/url]

There's almost 20,000 posts on the FRONT PAGE alone.

Two threads on the front page have almost 10,000 posts between them. The Cyanogen Mod amassed 3k posts in 3 days.

This is just for Android modders and users on the HTC EVO ONLY. This isn't including Theming, general questions about the handset, etc. You add those up, and you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 250,000 posts in a few weeks.

Unless HPalm gets off their sorry a$$es and starts pushing forward WebOS, they are going to lose before they even put forth product one.

They just don't have the market nor the mindshare.
    are you comparing webOS support to android support?
    have you seen the latest laptop mag poll results pinning pre plus against android phones?
    both forums had the link posted....webOS supporters showed up in bigger #'s and won.... Twice.
    google fragmentation can not hang with webOS support... Even with old hardware.
    lets see how that changes with new hardware
    @odd lou
    I understand where ur ciming from... But I think the op is just stating that it's impressive oc patched old pre can still hang with new stock evo.
    I think it would be fair to compare new webos phone ( if released within 3 months of evo release) to evo.
    my burrito is bigger than your burrito ;-)
    As I've already said, this is absurd. The processors for both machines hit the market around the same time. The very same 1ghz Snapdragon was on the market in devices exactly when the Pre launched. That the Evo just came out is irrelevant. The "new" Evo is using older hardware just like the "old" Pre.
    have you seen the latest laptop mag poll results pinning pre plus against android phones?
    both forums had the link posted....webOS supporters showed up in bigger #'s and won.... Twice.
    Sorry, sir. I have to laugh again. You think a popularity poll that was easily cheated with multiple votes indicates "support"? Seriously?

This makes no sense whatsoever.
    A poll doesn't even compare to what I'm linking. It's not even on the same continent.

Go look yourself. I linked to an Android development forum specifically for the EVO. Just look @ the numbers of posts and interaction in the last 5 days.
    To be honest though, and as I see it .. the polls are completely irrelevant. There's a huge movement in the Pre "community" to always win these polls, as if it will boost awareness of WebOS and potentially drive sales, development, whatever. You never see posts on Android centra, XDA, etc. "go vote for Android at xyx.com!"

The fact of the matter is, the Android community doesn't care about these crazy polls .. the sales speak for themselves and they don't need to participate in polls to show otherwise.

If these polls were a true representation, why don't sales and market share correlate?
    If these polls were a true representation, why don't sales and market share correlate?
    Ahhh, but they do correlate...inversely.

The most successful (saleswise) Verizon smartphone in recent memory (Droid) got trounced by the least successful Verizon smartphone in recent memory (The Palm Pre Plus).
    Ahhh, but they do correlate...inversely.

The most successful (saleswise) Verizon smartphone in recent memory (Droid) got trounced by the least successful Verizon smartphone in recent memory (The Palm Pre Plus).
    You just blew my mind. LOL
    Have you considered that maybe they don't care about polls.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast