1.    #1  
    So, I've been seriously debating using my upgrade to get the EVO. People keep saying that there probably isn't a new webOS phone coming out for a while. Well, I was looking at what is involved to root the EVO (androidcentral.com) and wow that is crazy. Putting ours in dev mode and installing WOSQI is crazy easy compared to what it appears there. Maybe I can wait a little longer after all.... At a first glance I'd probably brick my phone is a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by mperkinsky View Post
    So, I've been seriously debating using my upgrade to get the EVO. People keep saying that there probably isn't a new webOS phone coming out for a while. Well, I was looking at what is involved to root the EVO (androidcentral.com) and wow that is crazy. Putting ours in dev mode and installing WOSQI is crazy easy compared to what it appears there. Maybe I can wait a little longer after all.... At a first glance I'd probably brick my phone is a second.
    not sure how rooting the EVO is compared to the hero but i rooted my hero w/ no problems. i had to do a lot more command line stuff than normal (not sure what happened there?) but it wasn't too bad. follow directions and nothing will happen. i also jailbroke my iphone 3gs when i had it w/ no issues.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    You do realize a lot of rooting is similar to the Pre but the Pre community were able to automate the process.

(and there are similar ways for android as well);
    unrevoked

The issue is multiple phones and some manufactures trying to stop people from rooting while Palm embraced it (and i think they did mostly because they HAD to).
    The rooting is very similar to the Pre and as easy on "some" phones. there are some carriers /makers who are against it and make it harder.
    My brother had a hell of a time with his Eris. He had to find an older Micro SD card, with a specific read/write speed in order for him to root his.
    Nexus one is the easy roootable device. BUt its made to be a developer phone so why not? Not all will be as easy...Evo i think clocks in in the middle of the difficult route.

Droid X is the VERY hard if not impossible route.

Just depends on the phone maker.
    See, the thing is ... even without rooting, the Evo is more capable than the Pre patched/rooted. Don't go into the notion of potentially getting an Evo thinking you must root, because you don't "need to".

The only real advantage rooting will get you is free tethering. The open nature of Android will allow you to do anything else without compromising the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mperkinsky View Post
    rooting itself is not hard, there are methods and instructions to do that in 5-10 minutes. The hard parts after words - there are no patches as in WebOS, you have to flash whole ROM even for the small change. More like installing F104 even if you need small change in e-mail...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Nexus one is the easy roootable device. BUt its made to be a developer phone so why not? Not all will be as easy...Evo i think clocks in in the middle of the difficult route.

Droid X is the VERY hard if not impossible route.

Just depends on the phone maker.
    Really? Rooting the EVO is pretty simple using either unrevoked or simple root. Both are basically automated processes that take minutes.

As for the the X... http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-root-achieved ... it wasn't that difficult, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Really? Rooting the EVO is pretty simple using either unrevoked or simple root. Both are basically automated processes that take minutes.

As for the the X... http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-root-achieved ... it wasn't that difficult, apparently.
    I misspoke....custom ROM's VERY hard on the X.

Rooting apparently easy.

Unrevoked from what i read isn't a full root. I'm not that privacy to understanding everything...but thats what it sounds like. It allows most common root things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Unrevoked from what i read isn't a full root. I'm not that privacy to understanding everything...but thats what it sounds like. It allows most common root things though.
    You're correct about unrevoked. But Simple Root, which is the way I did it, is also very, as the name implies, simple, and is a full root.
    Rooting is easy on almost every device. Custom ROMs take some knowledge and some patience.

However, opening up NAND and the Bootloader gives you so many options if you can do it on your handset, I see no reason not to.
    Rooting the evo is easy.took me 20 min.