Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    So much for the "bad" economy

CUPERTINO, Calif., July 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AppleŽ today announced financial results for its fiscal 2010 third quarter ended June 26, 2010. The Company posted record revenue of $15.7 billion and net quarterly profit of $3.25 billion, or $3.51 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $9.73 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.83 billion, or $2.01 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 39.1 percent compared to 40.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 52 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 3.47 million Macs during the quarter, representing a new quarterly record and a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 8.4 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 61 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 9.41 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The Company began selling iPads during the quarter, with total sales of 3.27 million.

"It was a phenomenal quarter that exceeded our expectations all around, including the most successful product launch in Apple's history with iPhone 4," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPad is off to a terrific start, more people are buying Macs than ever before, and we have amazing new products still to come this year."

"We're really pleased to have generated over $4 billion of cash during the quarter," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue of about $18 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $3.44"
    The apple haters will love this news.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I'm guessing we will hear "Wait until next quarter", that's pretty much all they can say.

iPad sales off the hook as well! 3.27 million sold!
    In other news, Oranges continue being orange.
    Hey, I'm not the biggest fan of Apple, but I can still respect a very successful company.

wrote the following 2 days before Jobs issued the free rubbers:

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

the stock will be fine -- their profits will be fine

I fully expect at some point sanity will prevail and they will offer for FREE to anyone that wants it -- a set of rubbers.

They will then (pending FCC approval ??) start to make the iPhon4a -- which will have a clear insulating non-conductive lacquer coat over the metal antenna bands
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/20/2010 at 04:53 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    great news!!!! Apple is rich!
    Most interesting news was that sales of the Mac line continue to grow (though it is only just outselling the iPad). I am guessing its all those iPhone customers visiting the Apple stores.
    Most interesting news was that sales of the Mac line continue to grow (though it is only just outselling the iPad). I am guessing its all those iPhone customers visiting the Apple stores.
    Apple now has the strongest brand image they've ever had. Apple would also prefer the ipad outselling the macs, since it's pushing forward a more closed ecosystem. The avreage iphone customer has spent about 100 dollars in itunes, and can use those apps on their ipad. Making it a logical investment. Until they realize buying made for ipad apps make things so much nicer. Apples moving forward with a great strategy.. Hp is trying to do the same, but on a much more open platform.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    The future of technology is looking very fruity..
    yup -- the stores were/are another bit of arrogant brilliance from Jobs

Many other companies have tried and failed to do what he and Apple achieved -- the stores are a much under appreciated part of their success.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Great news for all the Apple stockholders!
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Looking at this closely, here is the most interesting piece. Everyone knew there was a new phone coming back in early March, yet they still sold like hotcakes.

The company sold 8.4 million iPhones during the period, a 61 percent unit increase. Apple launched the iPhone 4 on June 24 and the quarter ended two days later, so it’s a good guess most of the quarter’s iPhone sales were of older generation devices, although Apple doesn’t break out sales by model.
    With the launch day estimated at 1M sold (say 1) and 2 million by the 4th day, a conservative guess is that of those 8.4M sold in the Qtr, maybe 1.5 max were iPhone 4's?

Now they have already sold 3M total iPhone 4's, but with other countries coming on board and a nice backlog for the White model, next Qtr will be quite impressive.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    While Apple is IMO one of the most arrogant companies on the planet - they make cool devices and are probably the best company at marketing in any industry, so another great quarter is not at all surprising. And lets be honest, Apple keeps the competition moving.

P.S. Yes ADGrant, I am a Apple Hater but I am not an Apple product hater by any stretch of the imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Looking at this closely, here is the most interesting piece. Everyone knew there was a new phone coming back in early March, yet they still sold like hotcakes.

With the launch day estimated at 1M sold (say 1) and 2 million by the 4th day, a conservative guess is that of those 8.4M sold in the Qtr, maybe 1.5 max were iPhone 4's?

Now they have already sold 3M total iPhone 4's, but with other countries coming on board and a nice backlog for the White model, next Qtr will be quite impressive.
    Apple is Rich!!!! They sell a lot of phones, Ipads, and Macs. Apple is Popular = cool. Apple is Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Great news for all the Apple stockholders!
    Yup. Great day indeed hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Apple is Rich!!!! They sell a lot of phones, Ipads, and Macs. Apple is Popular = cool. Apple is Cool!
    I guess we now understand why their market cap is so huge (bigger than MS for example).