Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Before all of you APPLE FAN/BOYS/GIRLS get all in my face..I am posting this...I didn't write it!

Take care,

Jay

Open letter to Steve Jobs: Retire now!

By David Gewirtz | July 19, 2010, 7:39am PDT

Open letter to Steve Jobs: Retire now! | ZDNet

Dear Steve,

It’s been many years since you and I had a serious chat. We were both young men, almost kids, and we both looked at the world through much younger eyes. But now, buddy, we gotta talk, man-to-man.

Friday’s event was deeply disturbing. There you were, up there on stage, mocking genuinely valid concerns over the fundamental performance of your flagship product, arrogantly denying credible analysis by some of the most reputable product testers on the planet, telling members of the press that you love your users so much that you’ve built 300 Apple retail stores just for them.

The whole thing was embarrassing. It was beneath you.

You have been one the most transformative figures in the history of American business, up there with Thomas Edison, Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, and, yes, Bill Gates.

And now, this is how you’re spending your time? Complaining that everyone’s ganging up on you because you’re so special? Talking back to regular consumers at 3am? Chastising them because they’re holding their phones wrong?

You are an iconic American figure. You are an American strategic asset. Yet, here you are, arguing with people about whether you can make enough bumpers to fix the undeniable antenna problem you refuse to admit exists.

Bumpers? Is this what your reality has distorted into?

It certainly shouldn’t be how people think of you. Look at Bill Gates. Bill is out there helping to cure sickness and disease, poverty and hunger, working to find ways of producing alternative energy systems and trying the save the world from almost-certain darkness. Bill has become one of the world’s leading philanthropists, probably the most generous and effective in the history of the mankind.

By comparison, you’re spending your days (and, apparently, your nights) arguing with consumers who bought a $200 phone and complaining that Consumer Reports doesn’t know how to test consumer products.

Do you see a difference?

It’s time for you to step down, retire, and let others deal with the day-to-day challenges of running Apple. Phil Schiller is certainly a reasonable capable manager. Let him do it.

All this iPhone stuff can’t be healthy for you. It’s got to be stressful. You need to preserve your reputation and apply your leadership to things that matter.

Almost 30 years ago, John Scully was at Pepsi and you asked him, “Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?”

So, Steve, here’s the question I ask you: “Do you want to sell crappy phones and consumer electronics for the rest of your life, or do you want to leave Apple and change the world?”

Think about it.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    God luck with that, record earnings tomorrow...
    no.

sent from my iPhone.
    So uh... where do we go with this? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    no.

sent from my iPhone.
    I also own the stock. How do you think we'll do? I hear a 6.7% boost in stock price is coming. $256 a share probably after the reports.
    It is a good question. Is it not time to move on and change the world? How big does Apple need to get and how much money does Steve need before he steps down and does other things. I find it hard to believe that he still gets enjoyment after all these years with the day to day of Apple. If he does than that is great but......
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Is this a joke? He took an almost bankrupt company and made it the most successful tech company in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Is this a joke? He took an almost bankrupt company and made it the most successful tech company in the world.
    no joke.. I don't think u get it. "He Took". now what?

Bill Gates took an idea , started in a garage, and became extremely successful. He then moved on to a greater life purpose.

Steve Jobs is so involved in his own ego.... he still gets personally offended if his company delivers a less than perfect product.. then acts like a child.
    Time to refocus and find some purpose in Life. He is not in his thirties anymore. He has more money than God... Whats his motivation? To remain The King of Smartphones? He will be soon losing that title any way;-)
    You have to know when to move on.
    Reminder - this is an opinion. No need to personally attack. Focus on the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    no joke.. I don't think u get it. "He Took". now what?

Bill Gates took an idea , started in a garage, and became extremely successful. He then moved on to a greater life purpose.

Steve Jobs is so involved in his own ego.... he still gets personally offended if his company delivers a less than perfect product.. then acts like a child.
    Time to refocus and find some purpose in Life. He is not in his thirties anymore. He has more money than God... Whats his motivation? To remain The King of Smartphones? He will be soon losing that title any way;-)
    You have to know when to move on.
    Reminder - this is an opinion. No need to personally attack. Focus on the topic.
    True... good point.

The guy had a livery transplant and hasn't looked or sounded in good health in a few years. Why keep going?
    +1
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    <<quote deleted by Mods>>

WOW! Calm down. You may very well be correct yet this is a "free open forum" and Clutch as others, are entitled to speak as he/she feels. I can see you are upset. Can you explain how you feel about the first post? It sounds like you have an alternative view.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/19/2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: deleted quoted text

We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Nicely written. I lost a bit of respect when the writer said 'the mankind'. I'm pretty sure it's just 'mankind'.

But bringing up the quote to John Scully was a lovely touch.
    some people just cant read opinions and the post their own. They have to get personal.
    The main topic is an article.... expressing the same opinion, but the attack is towards me.
    Sad....
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    WOW! Calm down. You may very well be correct yet this is a "free open forum" and Clutch as others, are entitled to speak as he/she feels. I can see you are upset. Can you explain how you feel about the first post? It sounds like you have an alternative view.
    I have no problem with Jay's post. It's an opinion piece from an tech writer, who presumably (and I say presumably because I don't know this writer particularly) is paid to write such pieces based on their experience and reputation in the field.

<edited by mod>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/20/2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: deleted insulting comment
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    some people just cant read opinions and the post their own. They have to get personal.
    The main topic is an article.... expressing the same opinion, but the attack is towards me.
    Sad....
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I have no problem with Jay's post. It's an opinion piece from an tech writer, who presumably (and I say presumably because I don't know this writer particularly) is paid to write such pieces based on their experience and reputation in the field.

<edited by mod>
    You both have made good followups. With that said, may there be a truce. It would be a shame for the thread to get closed.May I sujest, lift up a glass of your favorite beverage and say "cheers" . You both area a valued member here and may tomorrow be a nice day.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/20/2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: deleted quoted text

We want them!!!
    **Note**

Can we take a step back, calm, and take the thread back on-topic, please? Please refrain from personal insults... remember, this is about the products, not the members. If you do not like an opinion - either ignore it, reply to it politely, or report it if it is inappropriate.

Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

<edited by mod>
    I agree with you. I have no problem with Jay's Post. Presumably, the writer has experience and reputation in the field.

"So, Steve, here’s the question I ask you: “Do you want to sell crappy phones and consumer electronics for the rest of your life, or do you want to leave Apple and change the world?”
    well, i actually do have a problem with what he says. I do not think the iphone 4 is a crappy phone.
    staying on the main topic. Anyone else here think Steve should consider retirement or a reduced role at Apple?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why should Steve Jobs care what anyone thinks? That's the whole point of being Steve Jobs. If he says something, people listen. If he doesn't say anything, people listen even harder or make stuff up. He can meet with anyone he wants to in corporate America wearing jeans and running shoes.

Everything that happens in mobile technology basically happens because of him. Certainly, everything that has happened to Palm has been because of him. Do you think HP would have bought Palm if it weren't for the iPad?
    Hi all,

That being the case, perhaps he should pay attention more carefully before, they slap the name Apple on the front of the product!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have no opinion on whether SJ should retire. Why the heck would that be my business at all unless I was on his BOD? Or his family.

All I care about are the products I use and if they work for me.

If they do, great. If they don't I will look for another. I don't get caught up in fan clubs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast