Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, the previews are starting to hit the tech sites and its a solid "pretty good" so far.

Of course its missing things it should have, from APIs to Copy and paste to multi-tasking....

But Microsoft already said they plan on adding multi-tasking when they have an elegant way to not effect the end consumer (sounds very apple like haha).

I learned from WebOS...i'm not really interested in jumping on to the ground floor of a new OS right now, but in a year i think Windows Phone 7 will most def. be around.

This just presents another challenger HPalm needs to deal with.

Engadget preview below:
    Windows Phone 7 in-depth preview -- Engadget

I am REALLY digging Windows Phone UI. Also its touch responsiveness (along with system responsiveness) is incredible for a first run device IMO.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    failure.

The interface sucks, it is too simplistic. If they try to add features to it it will ruin the UI, and if they don't add features to it it will be obsolete.

There is only so much you can do with something so 2-Dimensional and monochromatic. It would be cool to see MS go all out and do an LCARS style interface, but that would be too complicated for their intended users, so they are basically going to be stuck with this simplistic interface.
    I'd like a little help here, just to make sure I'm not confusing things. Tiny Palm announced WebOS in mid-January of 2009, with a promised release date of "first half of 2009" which they met. They were pilloried for taking so long to release it.

Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7 to be released "before the holidays", and they get a pass on how long it's taking?

Throw into the mix, Palm had to design hardware as well. Just an interesting (to me) observation...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    failure.

The interface sucks, it is too simplistic. If they try to add features to it it will ruin the UI, and if they don't add features to it it will be obsolete.

There is only so much you can do with something so 2-Dimensional and monochromatic. It would be cool to see MS go all out and do an LCARS style interface, but that would be too complicated for their intended users, so they are basically going to be stuck with this simplistic interface.
    Um you do realize that design philophy will be incorporated in apps that make sense to use it?

Example:
    AP New app:

or Netflix app:

Hell they even incorporate an app like Shazam into their normal Zune type interface:

But even a normal game app, you don't need the UI:

The good thing is MS has already made the tools available to keep with the scheme of the device....if your app can work like that. If not, you can build your app complete in silverlight and use your own scheme. But i think most people want to keep a consistant UI experience as best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd like a little help here, just to make sure I'm not confusing things. Tiny Palm announced WebOS in mid-January of 2009, with a promised release date of "first half of 2009" which they met. They were pilloried for taking so long to release it.

Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7 to be released "before the holidays", and they get a pass on how long it's taking?

Throw into the mix, Palm had to design hardware as well. Just an interesting (to me) observation...
    Well Palm had that...a hardware....Microsoft just makes operating systems...they aren't relying on one device to be a bombshell unlike Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well Palm had that...a hardware....Microsoft just makes operating systems...they aren't relying on one device to be a bombshell unlike Palm.
    You missed my point. Granted, MS doesn't do hardware. So, why the long delay? Or, more to the point, were are the complaints about the long delay?
    You missed my point. Granted, MS doesn't do hardware. So, why the long delay? Or, more to the point, were are the complaints about the long delay?
    The complaints aren't there because Microsoft has given many updates and demo's since first announcing WM7. They've consistently showed progress.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    still ot impressed. I just don't see the advantage to it. Sure, it looks prettty, but it sacrifices too much functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    still ot impressed. I just don't see the advantage to it. Sure, it looks prettty, but it sacrifices too much functionality.
    What functionality would that be?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The complaints aren't there because Microsoft has given many updates and demo's since first announcing WM7. They've consistently showed progress.
    This.

Whatever the flaws or inadequacies of Windows Phone 7 v1.0 may be, they at least have the stones to let lots of people handle it and put it through its paces in alpha and beta stages prior to release. Palm kept the Pre and WebOS away from even being touched by any journalists almost until release.

Microsoft set a minimum spec for their hardware that seems to actually enhance the software rather than hobbling it as the original Pre hardware did. And they seem to have touch responsiveness and smoothness down even at the beta stage, right out of the gate. Palm is still trying to get there 19 months later.

I'm not saying WP7 is the be all, end all. WebOS has taught me not to have my hopes too high for any initial release of a mobile OS. But they clearly have many ducks lined up that Palm didn't even consider at the conceptual stage of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This.

Whatever the flaws or inadequacies of Windows Phone 7 v1.0 may be, they at least have the stones to let lots of people handle it and put it through its paces in alpha and beta stages prior to release. Palm kept the Pre and WebOS away from even being touched by any journalists almost until release.
    I agree that it's more interesting for the end-users; however, is it really because MS "had the stones", or is it more because that's what they had to do?

MS is in a different position. They don't make hardware. If they had not released alpha and beta to others, they would have no hardware out there for it to run on when it became available.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah but you are saying it yourself...it IS a different situation since MS doesn't make hardware.

There was no device any person was clinging to since there is no device yet.

Btw...i was annoyed at the people saying Palm was waiting to long. Like if you want to phone just wait for it...they said first half of 2009 and they delivered.

What was a bit annoying them not giving you a clearer target date but who knows why that happened.
    I agree that it's more interesting for the end-users; however, is it really because MS "had the stones", or is it more because that's what they had to do?

MS is in a different position. They don't make hardware. If they had not released alpha and beta to others, they would have no hardware out there for it to run on when it became available.
    They sent out unsupervised devices to several tech sites well before launch. Palm was never confident enough in their product to do that.
    They sent out unsupervised devices to several tech sites well before launch. Palm was never confident enough in their product to do that.
    We're really getting a bit off-topic, but that's simply not true. There were folks out there that had Pres before they were released. Some were Palm employees, but there were a number that were not.

No, the number was not nearly as large as MS, that goes without saying. But they were indeed released.

Those folks were not permitted to allow others to use them. I suspect those that received early Windows Phone 7 devices were under similar restrictiosn.
    Nice try, but I specifically said Microsoft sent it out to several TECH SITES for extensive, unsupervised preview. Please show me where Palm did this for the Pre well before launch. Where were the extensive WebOS previews?
    Nice try, but I specifically said Microsoft sent it out to several TECH SITES for extensive, unsupervised preview. Please show me where Palm did this for the Pre well before launch. Where were the extensive WebOS previews?
    Are you saying that Palm sent none to any TECH SITES? If not, are you saying they weren't setn for extensive, unsupervied preview.

I'm not exactly clear your intention.
    Are you saying that Palm sent none to any TECH SITES? If not, are you saying they weren't setn for extensive, unsupervied preview.

I'm not exactly clear your intention.
    What I think he's saying is, Palm never sent any devices [months in advance] to sites such as Engadget for review that would be available for mass-consumption. Seeding a few devices amongst different people for testing purposes is different than giving one to a tech site for review.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What I think he's saying is, Palm never sent any devices [months in advance] to sites such as Engadget for review that would be available for mass-consumption. Seeding a few devices amongst different people for testing purposes is different than giving one to a tech site for review.
    I didn't catch the part about "months" (maybe he didn't say it though...) However, I know tech sites that had them in advance. I know at least one tech site that posted a hands on review of the device they had in their hands about a week before it was released.

As I've said, MS and Palm's situation are totally different. Palm needed to release their product as soon as they felt it was reasonably ready for release. The would not release for preview before it was reasonably ready. That's why (I think) the "in the reviewer's hands" and "in buyer's hands" release times were so close.

All that said, none of this explains why MS is taking so much longer to ready the product, nor does it explain why people complained that Palm was "taking too long", and MS doesn't have the same complaint.

As a matter of fact, widely releasing the Windows Phone OS to reviewers would seem that it would speed the prep time, rather than slow it down.
    OK, I'll say up front, I haven't followed Windows Phone 7 release information closely; however, this article would seem to dispute what you are saying:

Microsoft Windows Phone 7 Reaches Technical Preview - Windows from eWeek

According to the article (released yesterday) Windows phone 7 is just now being released to TECH SITES for preview. Do you have some links to sites that have written extensive previews for it? Not saying they don't exist, just trying to inform myself... (in the interest of fairness and balance - are any of these previews from "months ago"?)
    Herb, I don't see what else I can explain.

Several months before retail launch, Microsoft has made several prototype Windows Phone 7 devices available with a beta build of the OS to tech journalists to use and write up extensive previews all timed with an NDA that expired Sunday night.

By contrast, There wasn't an equivalent look at the Pre or WebOS until approximately a week or two before launch over at Boy Genius Report. Prior to that, almost every "hands-on" or "preview" was a heavily-controlled non-interactive demo like this one at MWC 2009 in February.
    Herb, I don't see what else I can explain.

Several months before retail launch, Microsoft has made several prototype Windows Phone 7 devices available with a beta build of the OS to tech journalists to use and write up extensive previews all timed with an NDA that expired Sunday night.

By contrast, There wasn't an equivalent look at the Pre or WebOS until approximately a week or two before launch over at Boy Genius Report. Prior to that, almost every "hands-on" or "preview" was a heavily-controlled non-interactive demo like this one at MWC 2009 in February.
    OK, now I'm clear.
    Journalists (who you still haven't named) were under an NDA to not release the reviews until approximately 6 months after the product was initially announced.

Palm users had WebOS units in their hands, approximately 6 months after the product was initially announced. A few select tech reviewers had it "approximately" a week or two before launch.

And this means MS has "more stones".

OK.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast