View Poll Results: Which is better and to what degree?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android - Way better

9 12.50%
  • Android - Sorta better

4 5.56%
  • WebOS - Way better

50 69.44%
  • WebOS - Sorta better

9 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My task is simple,
    convince me to stay with the Palm Pre Plus and the webOS platform rather than switching to the new Android-based Droid X.

I've had a Pre Plus for four months now, and while I like it, there are some aspects of webOS that really irk me.

Meanwhile, I am really enticed by Android and seriously considering switching.

So, what do you think?
    I have a feeling that most of you will urge me to stay, but what I'm looking for beyond "You'll be sorry; webOS is better" is reasons why one is better than the other.

Specifically, is there anything about webOS that you think I will miss if I switch to Android (I haven't been able to think of much of anything.)

Thanks!
    If you are irked then you probably need to leave.
    One thing WebOS doesn't need is to irk a user.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    webOS is an open platform. The Droid X is closed. You get what they give you , not what you want from the software. Good luck.
    webOS! - There, I just convinced you to stay. You're welcome.

Also...the X is the size of a bus. Hardly seems pocketable.

<<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by zak123321 View Post
    Specifically, is there anything about webOS that you think I will miss if I switch to Android (I haven't been able to think of much of anything.)
    I think you answered your own question. If you can't think of anything you will miss, then you should switch.

A friend of mine at work just got the Droid X. If you like Android, then this is the phone for you. It is a nice piece of hardware. My only reservation would be the size of it. It may be a bit too large.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    My task is simple,
    convince me to stay with the Palm Pre Plus and the webOS platform rather than switching to the new Android-based Droid X.
    So should we assume you also have a poll running in AndroidCentral titled Pre Plus vs. Droid X - Convince me to leave? Just sayin.....
    Last edited by vza33; 07/19/2010 at 09:38 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I was in Home Depot yesterday and the clerk saw my Pre, told me he had a pre but got the HTC. I think it's about the same size as the Droid X. I told him it was WAY too big...he pressed his hand onto his right leg to show that he had it in his baggy pants and the phone looked like the size of a laptop! I was floored. I almost jumped on his phone and went wind surfing!!!
    Heres what I can say about the droid-x

My finance got hers on Friday, and I have had a descent amount of time to mess around with it.

1st. The Hardware is amazing, the on screen keyboard is really easy to use, (first one that I have found that i liked) We did some races to see who could type a phrase faster, her on the droid or me on the pre. The results were inconclusive, sometimes she would beat me, other times I would win. The screen is big enough, that she uses it as an e-book reader. I have tried to do an ebook on my pre and I could not concentrate on the screen for hours. While the phone is big, I or she does not have problems with storing it in the pocket. (if your someone who wears tight pants you would have problems)

2nd. Motorola's UI in my opinion is the best Android UI yet. I like it much better then sense. The phone comes preloaded with swype and Motorola's keyboard. Swype is nice when you can use two hands on the phone, (or when you having the phone sitting on a table) But it is pretty much impossible to use one handed.

Here is my take: Great hardware, but I do not like android as much as web-os. I don't find android horrible like some people have mentioned. If my finance wanted to trade phones today, I would say no. (I have only had my pre + for two months, so it is still "new" to me. If I had my pre+ for a year at this point it would be a tempting offer)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Well as far as the size goes, the Droid X is the same as the Evo and I think ppl are really exaggerating! You can use it with one hand and you can fit it in your pocket. However, you WILL miss WebOS! The simplicity, multitasking, card view(beats the hell out of having to keep going back to your home screen and start over), gesture area. It all comes down to personal preference but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a bunch of button pressing as opposed to a couple of swipes.
    Ex-Pre Owner and current Android owner (HTC EVO) here..

Having had my EVO for about a month now and having a chance to really play with it (I know Droid X runs Motoblur as opposed to HTC Sense, but both are just different "launcher skins" over stock android and are comparable with similar functionality). Anyway, back on topic... I can think of TONS of things in Android I'd recommend over WEBOS, but there are a few things I still think no smart phone can even come close to on WEBOS:

1. Multitasking. Cards are easy to use, no need to use a task manager or view running processes to keep up with your memory management. ALTHOUGH, I still manage to get the "too many cards" error when I only have 1 other app open on WEBOS. It's so much more easier to switch between apps in WEBOS than Android and much harder to forget which apps you leave open.

2. Gestures. I guess this is more of a preference, but swiping gestures seem more elegant than long pressing.... it's much easier to swipe up to close an app as opposed to either hitting menu -> close/exit or pressing back several times depending on the app.

3. Notifications. Simple, easy, and elegant on WEBOS. It works on Android, but not nearly as refined.

4. Size. This is obviously a preference too. Big size has it's advantages and small size has it's advantages depending on your situation. I still use my Pre for the wifi capabilties (Pandora/Dr Podder/urgent emails) when I'm at the gym since it just doesn't make sense to carry around the huge EVO around when I'm working out.

That's really all WEBOS has over Android, IMO. If you prioritize ease of multitasking and notifications and does a few things great, then stick with WEBOS... if you prioritize personalization and customization and the ability to do many things well but not great then go Android.
    Last edited by turbooxide; 07/19/2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Ive used both. Web OS UI and the gesture controls trump Android any day. That being said the X is cool lookin..and the screen is ideal for surfin the web and watchin videos.
    What irks you about webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod55 View Post
    What irks you about webOS?
    new hardware isn't released every 37 days lol sorry had to
    Just leave...call HP/Palm for a service rep to convince you to stay. I am sick of folks talking about leaving b/c of the latest phone, its the beauty of a free market; choices.

Everyone knows HP JUST closed deal with Palm and they have stated new devices will come, until then LEAVE already. I use to love visiting this site daily to read latest on webOS, now every other thread is I am leaving, Pre/Pixi sucks, yada yada...gee, reminds me of a spoiled lil kid.

OP: Not taking a direct shot at you, but its crazy to see thread after thread talking about leaving or we need new hardware. I am sure you know all that webOS has to offer and the difference b/w Android or any other OS. I am sure you are more than aware of the outdated hardware we have with the Pre/Pixi that will be replaced soon.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 07/19/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    In order to be fair and tell you which one you need to let us know what features are important and what things you cant live without in a phone. otherwise no one can say which is better for you. Only you can determine that.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    My task is simple,

I've had a Pre Plus for four months now, and while I like it, there are some aspects of webOS that really irk me.

Meanwhile, I am really enticed by Android and seriously considering switching.

So, what do you think?
    I have a feeling that most of you will urge me to stay, but what I'm looking for beyond "You'll be sorry; webOS is better" is reasons why one is better than the other.

Thanks!
    I made a post a few days ago. --> here <-- You might want to read it and see if you agree with the basic philosophy of the argument. If it is something important to you you might want to add that to your decision criteria. If not, well then happy trails and I hope you find happiness in the land of Droid X.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    If you prioritize ease of multitasking and notifications and does a few things great, then stick with WEBOS... if you prioritize personalization and customization and the ability to do many things well but not great then go Android.
    You know, that's probably the best summary I've seen on here talking about the two OSs.
    If you gotta ask on a WebOS site, just go with a feature phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Just leave...call HP/Palm for a service rep to convince you to stay. I am sick of folks talking about leaving b/c of the latest phone, its the beauty of a free market; choices.

Everyone knows HP JUST closed deal with Palm and they have stated new devices will come, until them LEAVE already. I use to love visiting this site daily to read latest on webOS, now every other thread is I am leaving, Pre/Pixi sucks, yada yada...gee, reminds me of a spoiled lil kids.

OP: Not taking a direct shot at you, but its crazy to see thread after thread talking about leaving or we need new hardware. I am sure you know all that webOS has to over and the difference b/w Android or any other OS. I am sure you are more than aware of the outdated hardware we have with the Pre/Pixi that will be replaced soon.
    webOS tablet, but no phone in sight.

It's also hard to wait when lots of phones are coming out and nothing from Palm. You should know tech geeks are impatient to try the next best thing if they can afford it.

HP files for "PalmPad" trademark -- a webOS tablet, perhaps? -- Engadget
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    webOS tablet, but no phone in sight.

It's also hard to wait when lots of phones are coming out and nothing from Palm. You should know tech geeks are impatient to try the next best thing if they can afford it.

HP files for "PalmPad" trademark -- a webOS tablet, perhaps? -- Engadget
    Applying for a trademark puts the WebOS tablet "in sight"? If that's the standard, the the next phone is also "in sight", since Palm has several trademarks for phones.

C'mon, it's been three weeks. Let's not blow HPs "silence" out of proportion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast