View Poll Results: Which is better and to what degree?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android - Way better

9 12.50%
  • Android - Sorta better

4 5.56%
  • WebOS - Way better

50 69.44%
  • WebOS - Sorta better

9 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You know, that's probably the best summary I've seen on here talking about the two OSs.
    wouldn't it be nice to have all of those things in one phone? Like to have big screen to surf the net and "easy of notification with multitasking"?
    Quote Originally Posted by zak123321 View Post
    My task is simple,
    convince me to stay with the Palm Pre Plus and the webOS platform rather than switching to the new Android-based Droid X.

I've had a Pre Plus for four months now, and while I like it, there are some aspects of webOS that really irk me.

Meanwhile, I am really enticed by Android and seriously considering switching.

So, what do you think?
    I have a feeling that most of you will urge me to stay, but what I'm looking for beyond "You'll be sorry; webOS is better" is reasons why one is better than the other.

Specifically, is there anything about webOS that you think I will miss if I switch to Android (I haven't been able to think of much of anything.)

Thanks!
    Right now - easy - try to connect to WIFI on droid....
    Just played with the DX today. I was not impressed. It's just another android phone with a big screen imo. I really don't care for android, all of the user customizability comes at the cost of having a really messy interface. Having seven pages of widgets and icons would get cumbersome fast, nobody actually uses all of them, and if you did you would forget where everything was so quickly. The OS wasn't even my main issue though. I really don't care for motorola, the original Droid was their last good phone. The Droid Inc. seems like a much better phone if your gunna go the android route though. Its a much more practical size, and while im not a huge fan of the weird back it has, Sense UI really makes android a lot more useable.
    IMHO, android phones are all pretty ugly on the UI side of things. Multitasking is a real chore, and there's no homebrew. Icons are square and boring, all black & white menus (tho i'm sure that's customizable).

What 'irks' you about webOS? Most of my complaints were fixed with patches and an overclock to 800Mhz, which is really worth the time to figure out.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Buy the Fascinate on Verizon, better and more well rounded than the Droid X, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    webOS tablet, but no phone in sight.

It's also hard to wait when lots of phones are coming out and nothing from Palm. You should know tech geeks are impatient to try the next best thing if they can afford it.

HP files for "PalmPad" trademark -- a webOS tablet, perhaps? -- Engadget
    You are correct. I guess the fact that I am not a tech geek doesnt drive me to jump ship, but continue to wait for the next webOS device. I am VERY happy I found this site and am a LOT more knowledgeable of webOS, add-ons, etc and many other phones/OS.
    I won't convince you, go on, buy the Droid X un once HP announces the new phone next month, you'll regret
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    if your even asking then go get the droid x.

if I had verizon I would get the droid x.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Applying for a trademark puts the WebOS tablet "in sight"? If that's the standard, the the next phone is also "in sight", since Palm has several trademarks for phones.

C'mon, it's been three weeks. Let's not blow HPs "silence" out of proportion.
    PalmPad? What else could it be? Looks like the tablet could be first, to me. Which is fine, something needs to give the iPad some competition. Maybe HP thinks they'll have better success doing that first.

But on the phone end, waiting too long could be bad. The market is getting flooded with phones. You need to get a foot in soon before people quit buying because they already found what they needed and/or get locked into contracts and can't afford another phone. Palm has problems on timing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Meh... why convince you at all? Do whatever you want to... you obviously already have a pre.. and you know what you like and dislike about it. So go to a store and mess around with whatever phone you feel like... what more is there?

It is... "I seek only to move forward..." not "I ask only to move forward..." educate yourself... then after youve familiarized yourself, go to a place where users know that phone well and ask specific questions... asking such a general question as this one is just laziness.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Wow, didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just trying to see if what people felt were the killer features of webOS.

Perhaps the way I wrote the post was unwise - sorry.
    I probably shouldn't wrote it at three in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Just played with the DX today. I was not impressed. It's just another android phone with a big screen imo. I really don't care for android, all of the user customizability comes at the cost of having a really messy interface. Having seven pages of widgets and icons would get cumbersome fast, nobody actually uses all of them, and if you did you would forget where everything was so quickly. The OS wasn't even my main issue though. I really don't care for motorola, the original Droid was their last good phone. The Droid Inc. seems like a much better phone if your gunna go the android route though. Its a much more practical size, and while im not a huge fan of the weird back it has, Sense UI really makes android a lot more useable.
    I had about 7 pages when I had my pre, each page for a different category. Now I just need 2 pages on my Android for apps because you can create folders on your desktop (a page for most used apps, and another for folders for each category). I could live with either, but it's nice to able able to have widgets on the desktop to change something on the fly (turn on/off airplane mode/flashlight/etc). I think it's inevitable that when you have more "control", everything gets a little more clunky until the user finds what works for him/her.

Also, Droid does not run Sense UI, it run's Motorblur. Only the HTC manufactured phones run Sense UI. There are other launchers out there which could be had (for free) that mimic Sense UI though.

I don't care for Motorola either... They seem to follow the trend and end up with a homerun rather than set the trend.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I take back what I said, if you're a tech nerd and like to fiddle with eoms and all that other stuff then go droid.

I will probably just get a blackberry next.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    @delta7:
    I can tell you from the experience of having had two BlackBerrys that you most likely will not enjoy going to it from webOS - it will feel like a serious downgrade. From webOS, I only see Android or iOS as logical moves, and I hate Apple, so I'd advise against it.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I know blackberries are pretty basic but that's what I prefer. I'm not the type to tinker with hacking and so forth, I just like a well built phone with a keyboard and a couple nice apps. If I was to gt a nicer more stylish phone I'd get a iphone but I wouldn't leave sprint to pay a higher bill a month. I'll probably check out blackberry with os6 and just call it a day. Droids don't interest me much since they realize phones so often and it reminds me alot of wm 6.5 which I had to tinker with often.

@delta7:
    I can tell you from the experience of having had two BlackBerrys that you most likely will not enjoy going to it from webOS - it will feel like a serious downgrade. From webOS, I only see Android or iOS as logical moves, and I hate Apple, so I'd advise against it.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    BBOS6 does look like it will finally catch up with the rest of the market - but don't expect it any time soon. The carriers (particularly VZW) are so slow to approve BB OS updates.

OS5 can't even handle tabbed browsing.
    good post +1

Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Meh... why convince you at all? Do whatever you want to... you obviously already have a pre.. and you know what you like and dislike about it. So go to a store and mess around with whatever phone you feel like... what more is there?

It is... "I seek only to move forward..." not "I ask only to move forward..." educate yourself... then after youve familiarized yourself, go to a place where users know that phone well and ask specific questions... asking such a general question as this one is just laziness.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I say webos is cooler than many phones that are out. I was one of those ppl that get the latest phone (was all palm though) but with multitasking, preware & homebrew, gesturing, & notifications... I'm hooked. I've played with android phones & haven't been impressed. The UI is just not as smooth to me. All palm's gesture flow naturally & make sense. And the presence of a open system has really kept me as I can locate nearly all the modifications I'd like in a phone. From privacy settings to patches that enhance the system overall, I'm sticking w/ webos. And if the new phone isn't customizable like the pre, i'd pass on that too.
    convince me to stay
    No. I say decide for yourself.
    All i can tell you is that if you do switch to droid x, for the first few weeks you will be trying to swipe things off the screen, and throw apps of the top, and its gonna drive you crazy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast