Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will try to make this short as I can but just thought I would tell a quick story about how the Pre and webOS lured me back from evil. Basically my line on Sprint is a premier line and I am not eligible for a phone upgrade til November. At my house we have been having reception issues only getting 0-2 bars max and it fluctuates all over the place. So I call Sprint and gripe and get a free Airave out of them and 2 free years of service. "Just call to cancel your service and you will get to the right person if you want a free airave"

So I get my airave and reception at our house is perfect with 5 bars and EV on the Pre and every other phone. Here is where things get interesting. I look online at our account and notice a upgrade available on the Airave line. I was like in shock because it says $150 phone upgrade. So seeing that I get all excited knowing Sprint can use that upgrade on my line even though I don't really don't qualify til November. It has to be a system glitch causing that because Sprint was clueless why it was there.

Anyways seeing the upgrade I head out to Best Buy yesterday to get a white Evo. I was super excited about it considering how it is hailed as king of phones basically. I did feel bad leaving my Pre not just because of webOS but because I knew I wasn't going to be at this website as much and talk with this great community. Picked up the Evo at 2 PM yesterday and I thought it was love at first site. Til I started using it!!!

Android is the most clunky **** ever. Multitasking is a pain in the *** and nothing is as smooth and fluid as webOS. The worst part was the battery life I mean it has to drain twice as quick as the Pre even with Wifi GPS and Bluetooth off. Another thing which I didn't think would bother me since I have large hands is the size of the phone. Its just toooo big. So a whole 24 hours passes by and guess what? I'm already on the phone with Sprint getting my Pre back activated on my line. Thank God before I sold it on ebay. I took the Evo back to Best Buy a hour later and they looked at me like I was a lunatic for taking it back to switch to the Pre. I really do not care though. WebOS is the nicest OS out there and the Pre fits nicely in my hand and the battery life is DEF tolerable compared to the Evo.

Anyways hope you liked my little story. I am very happy to be back to my Pre and this great community. Hopefully though when November rolls around a new Palm device will be around that I can use my upgrade on. If not then my Pre will still keep me happy knowing its the best OS on Sprint!
    I dont think you gave it a fair chance.
    Live free or DIE!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I dont think you gave it a fair chance.
    I think I did considering I had a HTC Hero for a couple weeks before and did not like it. Nothing much has changed except the hardware.
    I just picked up an EVO a few days ago. I added the line to play with it, telling the sales rep that it will be back in under 30days. (sprints no fee guarentee!!) I wanted to play around with Android, and i have to say, I am impressed with some features and disappointed in others. 4G is live in syracuse NY(what what what?!?) and its getting me 5mbs down. Battery life simply put stinks stock, but flashing a custom rom has really helped, (albeit 4G stopped working).... Modding is really more difficult on this device, although once done, switching between roms is easy. But I'd rather just add a patch to get an effect than have to have an entire Rom for my effect. IDK, Its nice and the screen is awesome. Its super fast, But I know HPalm has something up their sleeve.... My real upgrade is waiting on that!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I think I did considering I had a HTC Hero for a couple weeks before and did not like it. Nothing much has changed except the hardware.
    IDK about that, 1.5 couldn't run alot of the advanced apps in the marketplace.... video calling? Interactive Backgrounds are fun, the metal detector is a cool thing to play with as are all the augmented reality apps. Could the hero run those? You are right though, android is really clunky. I mean anything i have to do is at least a few clicks more... and the notifications are lame... im my opinion. You should give it a few days, why not!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    IDK about that, 1.5 couldn't run alot of the advanced apps in the marketplace.... video calling? Interactive Backgrounds are fun, the metal detector is a cool thing to play with as are all the augmented reality apps. Could the hero run those? You are right though, android is really clunky. I mean anything i have to do is at least a few clicks more... and the notifications are lame... im my opinion. You should give it a few days, why not!
    From what I remember I had 1.6 on the Hero. I don't recall any apps not working. But I do remember quite a few apps crashing on me. Something that has yet to happen with my Pre once!
    You really didn't give it a chance. Yes, the Evo battery life was like that for me as well in the beginning. Thing is though, you need to give it time to condition your battery through usage. My Evo battery life is amazing. 11 Hours and just at 60% with all the bluetooth, wifi I do, thats amazing. My sad lil Pre would be long dead by now.
    you did the right thing, the android os is a clunky mess
    The Hero was crippled. I had one also.

But I have an EVO and love it. and you didnt compare Android 1.5 to 2.1. and 2.2 is 10x faster.

While it may feel clunky it has alot more options. webOS is more "Apple"ish.

I prefer webOS but the Pre has a ****ty radio and was sick of dropping calls.
    Live free or DIE!
  10.    #10  
    The Hero was crippled. I had one also.

But I have an EVO and love it. and you didnt compare Android 1.5 to 2.1. and 2.2 is 10x faster.

While it may feel clunky it has alot more options. webOS is more "Apple"ish.

I prefer webOS but the Pre has a ****ty radio and was sick of dropping calls.
    Well the Evo has a crippled Wifi signal so they even out. I wasn't complaining about the speed of the phone either. I don't see how 2.2 can be 10x faster because 2.1 on the Evo was already insanely fast!
    GPS on the EVO is ridiculously better than the Pre also.
    Well, its expected that a few people will return back to webos but this will not stop the exodus. According to the the survey Palm is dead last (0) in the choice of phone that someone might consider for their future phone. Android may be chucky to you but it must be doing something right.
    Well the Evo has a crippled Wifi signal so they even out. I wasn't complaining about the speed of the phone either. I don't see how 2.2 can be 10x faster because 2.1 on the Evo was already insanely fast!
    Those that are running Android 2.2 say its up to 10x faster on the same device. But now you're getting into custom ROM land, unless you have a Nexus One.

The WiFi radios on HTC devices is pityfully weak tho. I agree with that. The Pre WiFi is strong. Just wish the CDMA radio was the same.
    Live free or DIE!
    Those that are running Android 2.2 say its up to 10x faster on the same device. But now you're getting into custom ROM land, unless you have a Nexus One.

The WiFi radios on HTC devices is pityfully weak tho. I agree with that. The Pre WiFi is strong. Just wish the CDMA radio was the same.
    So...you going to start developing for Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    (sprints no fee guarentee!!)
    There isn't any fees at all come time when you return it before the 30 day trial? I might actually have to pick up an EVO for the hell of it then.
    There is a $35 re-stocking fee. I figured that was at least a good fee for a four week rental. I picked up the EVO on Thursday. It's my first dealing with Android. The battery so far is lasting more than my overclocked Pre. Android is not as nice as WebOS but There are a few things I like about it. I love the big screen and WebOS would be a killer system on this hardware. My wife has a BB Curve and wants my Pre. She told me she would take it after I decided if I was keeping the EVO since she would not give it back to me once I give it to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    There is a $35 re-stocking fee. I figured that was at least a good fee for a four week rental. I picked up the EVO on Thursday. It's my first dealing with Android. The battery so far is lasting more than my overclocked Pre. Android is not as nice as WebOS but There are a few things I like about it. I love the big screen and WebOS would be a killer system on this hardware. My wife has a BB Curve and wants my Pre. She told me she would take it after I decided if I was keeping the EVO since she would not give it back to me once I give it to her.
    No, they waive the restocking fee. Thats why its called Sprint Free Guarantee.

For new customers and customers adding new lines of service
    We love and believe in our products and services. We’re confident you will too. That’s why, as a new customer or an existing customer adding a new line of service we’ll give you 30 days to try us for free.

If for any reason you’re not happy and want to cancel service, just call us to deactivate and return to the original place of purchase to return your undamaged phone or mobile broadband card and we’ll:

Refund monthly charges incurred as part of your service plan*
    Refund the activation fee
    Refund the purchase price of your device
    Waive the Early Termination Fee
    Waive the restocking fee
    Refund taxes and Sprint surcharges associated with the above charges

Sprint 30-day Return and Exchange Policy
    I have switched to an Evo from a Palm Pre. WebOS can not be touched when it comes to switching between running apps and it's notification system. With that being said, that is where it all ends. Palm needs more apps and better hardware before I even think about returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    You really didn't give it a chance. Yes, the Evo battery life was like that for me as well in the beginning. Thing is though, you need to give it time to condition your battery through usage. My Evo battery life is amazing. 11 Hours and just at 60% with all the bluetooth, wifi I do, thats amazing. My sad lil Pre would be long dead by now.
    Well, my Evo would be dead in 11 hr. Even doing nothing it looses 35-40% of battery in 8 hr. Palm for some reason - 20%
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Thats why its called Sprint Free Guarantee.
    So ok, lets say I get the EVO then return it but then later down the road can I get the EVO again?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast