Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    From Engadget's transcript of today's completely predictable iPhone press conference:


    11:22AM Q: You released a software update for the iPhone about two years ago which improved the signal. You say now you've got a long-standing bug that doesn't show the right bar data. Can you square those two things?

    Steve: Well let me say something about Apple. We didn't want to get into any business where we didn't own or control the primary tech, because if you don't the people who do own it will beat you. Our big insight about 8 years ago, was that it was going to shift from big displays or optical pickup heads, or radios being the most important component, we thought it was going to be software. And we're pretty good at making software, we showed that in the iPod... other people are good at it too, like Palm, but we brought great software to the smartphone space. We've been able to create and distribute major updates to this software since the iPhone was released, and we've made the product better and better for free. Everyone is copying us now, but we were the first ones to do it. To answer your question, the formula we use the calculate bars has been off since the beginning, and the new update fixes that for the iPhone 4, 3G, and 3GS... I don't know if I understand the other part of your question?


    Yeah, he didn't answer the real question, but he did toss Palm a bone.
  2. #2  
    I just read that. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all....
  3. #3  
    ...hold on, I'm still trying to find an angle to use so I can justify bashing jobs for that. watch this space for updates on my progress..
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    ...hold on, I'm still trying to find an angle to use so I can justify bashing jobs for that. watch this space for updates on my progress..
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    From Engadget's transcript of today's completely predictable iPhone press conference:






    Yeah, he didn't answer the real question, but he did toss Palm a bone.
    it's a sign he recognizes what's coming with webOS...and that he can't ignore palm anymore....because of HP purchase.
    at the same time...he insults google.
    palm makes great software.... And looks like it is finally getting the respect that it deserves...now that it's not going anywhere... P
  6. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    it's a sign he recognizes what's coming with webOS...and that he can't ignore palm anymore....because of HP purchase.
    at the same time...he insults google.
    palm makes great software.... And looks like it is finally getting the respect that it deserves...now that it's not going anywhere... P
    He acknowledged them, but your spin is a bit of a stretch
  7. #7  
    Didn't apple finally admit it's a hardware issue not software... Is apple going back to the software excuse?
  8. #8  
    there must be 4 or 5 threads about the mention of Palm in Apple's press conference.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  9. #9  
    As I posted in the thread "8 reasons why Apple has to be afraid of HP/Palm", this was, as clutch said above, his way of telling HP/Palm that he is watching them, and knows that they will be the real competitors in the smartphone arena, going forward, as they do get the software aspect, very well.

    WebOS, I have said in the past, and has been opined on by many in the media, as the best OS for mobile devices. I believe Steve Jobs would have loved to get his hands on the patents pertaining to WebOS and the card system, so he could incorporate them into the iPhone, but, PALM wasnt interested in partial deals, and, I believe Jobs KNEW that a serious bid for PALM wouldnt have cleared the FTC.. PALM's 1500 patents + (yes, 1500, not 800 as they stated in that article yesterday) Apples would have deterred competition way too much.

    FWIW... the smartphone market is HUGE.. and there is more than enough room for 5 players.. my guess is that HP/Palm will become one of them, if not the #2 player, if they can get the hardware design right.

    Im pragmatically optimistic.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  10. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    FWIW... the smartphone market is HUGE.. and there is more than enough room for 5 players.. my guess is that HP/Palm will become one of them, if not the #2 player, if they can get the hardware design right.

    Im pragmatically optimistic.

    Good to be optimistic, but you need to be realistic as well. Palm has less than 2% marketshare right now. The app environment is lacking, developers jumping ship.

    There is nowhere to go but up, but I don't think they will ever crack 10%
  11. #11  
    sadly I think that bone was given to a player now retired to the sidelines and no longer considered a rival.

    Jobs is not the sort to promote companies who might again be threats
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Good to be optimistic, but you need to be realistic as well. Palm has less than 2% marketshare right now. The app environment is lacking, developers jumping ship.

    There is nowhere to go but up, but I don't think they will ever crack 10%
    Genearch;

    1. Pragmatically speaking, I AM very "realistic".

    2. Palm as 3% market share, with 1 device that is 1 year old, and another one that is 8 months old. They have just merged with an industry leading parent (HP- 304,000 employees) that will fund them and thier ideas to be able to compete with the best in a very young, and quickly growing market. Stay tuned.

    3. No matter how you spin the Palm application market, the absolute truth is that it isnt shrinking, its growing. Palm, a company with less than 600 employees, was ablle to create an application environment and app store within 3 months of the device hitting the streets, and now, with almost 3000 applications 1 year after the device debut, and most of that has happened within the last 7 months, versus Apple, (34,000 employees) who took over a year to get thier FIRST app up. Comparing th eprogress of the two, Palm's performance vs its size and financial contraints shows just how powerful they are, and can be, with the right help and support.

    4. I repsect your opinion. Truly. But, I not only disagree with it, I think that number is amazingly low - I see the players changing in a huge way in the next year, once the next WebOS devices are available and marketted properly.

    IMO, of course.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 07/16/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I just read that. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all....
    what? he's a terrible guy. He said "good" when he should be admitting that webOS is just as "awesome" and "magical" as iOS. and, he conveniently "left out" the fact that webOS does multitasking soooo much better.

    Geesh, you'd think that press conference was all about Apple. Such arrogance!

    [/sarc]
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  14. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Genearch;

    1. Pragmatically speaking, I AM very "realistic".

    2. Palm as 3% market share, with 1 device that is 1 year old, and another one that is 8 months old. They have just merged with an industry leading parent (HP- 304,000 employees) that will fund them and thier ideas to be able to compete with the best in a very young, and quickly growing market. Stay tuned.
    Palm has 3%, but that is a declining number, I'd say it's even less than that now.

    3. No matter how you spin the Palm application market, the absolute truth is that it isnt shrinking, its growing. Palm, a company with less than 600 employees, was ablle to create an application environment and app store within 3 months of the device hitting the streets, and now, with almost 3000 applications 1 year after the device debut, and most of that has happened within the last 7 months, versus Apple, (34,000 employees) who took over a year to get thier FIRST app up. Comparing th eprogress of the two, Palm's performance vs its size and financial contraints shows just how powerful they are, and can be, with the right help and support.
    Apple has 34,000 but their entire focus is not the iPhone, where Palm has 600 dedicated to that task and nothing else. Let's not forget that Apple has a complete line of Hardware and a little OS they develop?

    Apple started with no market share, to what they have now, nearing 50% all on one carrier in the US. Palm went from 50% to less than 3% with multiple carriers. Personally, I think HP or not, too little too late. Without Android in the marketplace they would have a shot. Also, MS will have a serious contender, regardless of the pundits.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Palm has 3%, but that is a declining number, I'd say it's even less than that now.



    Apple has 34,000 but their entire focus is not the iPhone, where Palm has 600 dedicated to that task and nothing else. Let's not forget that Apple has a complete line of Hardware and a little OS they develop?

    Apple started with no market share, to what they have now, nearing 50% all on one carrier in the US. Palm went from 50% to less than 3% with multiple carriers. Personally, I think HP or not, too little too late. Without Android in the marketplace they would have a shot. Also, MS will have a serious contender, regardless of the pundits.
    genarch;

    1. The latest figues say 3%. I wont speculate if you dont about the current numbers. They COULD surprise you..

    2. Apple just said that the iPhone is their biggest selling product to date. Lets say that they are 20% of thier workfoce dedicated to it. Thats 6,000 people.. 10x as many as palm..

    3. This is where we both will be on the opposite poles - I contend that the HP factor is HUGE, and will take the best mobile OS on the market into the hands of 10's of millions of customers in the coming years!

    We shall see, won't we?

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  16. #16  
    Could be that Jobs is trying to slow down the android movement by bringing a smaller carrier to light..
  17. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    genarch;

    1. The latest figues say 3%. I wont speculate if you dont about the current numbers. They COULD surprise you..

    2. Apple just said that the iPhone is their biggest selling product to date. Lets say that they are 20% of thier workfoce dedicated to it. Thats 6,000 people.. 10x as many as palm..

    3. This is where we both will be on the opposite poles - I contend that the HP factor is HUGE, and will take the best mobile OS on the market into the hands of 10's of millions of customers in the coming years!

    We shall see, won't we?

    Read the info at this link

    Palm Pre market share – real US figures » TamsPalm - the Palm OS / web OS Blog

    While that is a year old, I seriously doubt the picture has become much better.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnkeeper View Post
    Could be that Jobs is trying to slow down the android movement by bringing a smaller carrier to light..
    I believe Jobs also had some very nice things to say about Google today.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Read the info at this link

    Palm Pre market share – real US figures » TamsPalm - the Palm OS / web OS Blog

    While that is a year old, I seriously doubt the picture has become much better.
    OMG!

    Yes, you are right. These figures, based on requests/interest in devices have changed all of the logic and history of PALM and the new merger with the 3rd largest tech company in the whole world.

    What was I thinking? Common sense has no place, here.. its all about what some vicarious study shows, which, likely changes from week to week, but, since today, and maybe tomorrow, it might show this, or some other "bad mindshare" numbers, we should all just pack up our Pre's and Pixi's and go home, rather than recognize the fact that PALM, HP, the media and anyone/everyone else involved in the market says that new hardware is coming, and we will all be very happy with it.

    NOT!



    If I paid attention to every "study" of the likes of this for everything in life, I'd never have made any decisions..

    Thanks, but, ..

    No thanks!!!

    I'm still "pragmatically optimsitic"...!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    ... I contend that the HP factor is HUGE, and will take the best mobile OS on the market into the hands of 10's of millions of customers in the coming years!

    We shall see, won't we?

    I've asked this several times of various folks recently without getting any kind of logical answer:

    What basis do you have to support your belief that HP intends to invest the hundreds of millions of dollars in research, manufacturing, and advertising required to become a major player in the smartphone space ???

    What basis do you have to believe that Apps are going to be created for this OS BEFORE it can demonstrate major numbers in the marketplace ??

    The CEO of HP has stated that they got Palm primarily for IP and use as an OS in tablets and printers. Only later did a PRPRPR $guy$ $half$ $heartedly$ $say$ -- $no$ $no$ -- $maybe$ $phones$ $too$.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions