Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Look what's making a comeback: Graffiti for Android. A free download in the Android Marketplace, Access Software has ported the Graffiti engine over to Android. It works like a champ. As I learned after downloading, just like riding a bicycle, Graffiti is something you never forgot how to do.
    Interesting
    Wow thanks for that heads up. Not sure its a reason to switch but Something I always thought the Pre ( and the centro) should have.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 07/16/2010 at 08:29 AM.
    My typing will always be faster than my writing nonetheless.
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

<-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
    I'm wondering if there's going to be legal issues over this. Xerox held a patent on Graffiti, with Palm having to pay a bunch of retroactive licensing fees. Part of that settlement was that Palm and Xerox agreed not to sue each other.

Regardless, it wouldn't be anything to make me switch. When I went to a Treo, I just knew I wasn't going to like the keyboard. I paid $$$ for a program that allowed to me to continue to use Graffiti on it. I quickly discovered I wasted my money. I'm pretty hooked on physical keyboards.
    It's free.

Worse to worse they get a cease and desist letter.
    Another Reason? I never saw a first reason to switch to Android!
    Graffiti was something I never used on any of my palm devices - it is over the hill.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Another Reason? I never saw a first reason to switch to Android!
    Graffiti was something I never used on any of my palm devices - it is over the hill.
    Always had a device with a keyboard, and also a virtual keyboard...graffiti never understood the need
    Not really a reason to swap. Neat and all but I gave up on graffiti a loooong time ago. If I make the swap to the galaxy s pro Ill download it for nostalgia.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    I think the OP was a little TIC!
    Graffiti 1 used to be my dealbreaker for a new device, and I had to retrofit it on my TX. But after my Centro with a physical keyboard, I pretty much forgot about Graffiti...

Besides I don't think Graffiti is too pleasant without a proper stylus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Doesn't seem like it would be as nice without a stlus. That being said, I'd really like to have graffiti. I can take notes with grafitti without looking at the device. I won't switch to Android for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Look what's making a comeback: Graffiti for Android. A free download in the Android Marketplace, Access Software has ported the Graffiti engine over to Android. It works like a champ. As I learned after downloading, just like riding a bicycle, Graffiti is something you never forgot how to do.
    Not really. Without a stylus? No.

But maybe on an iPad...
    And damn ... here my reasoning for switching was just to have a "working phone". Bonus points.
  15.    #15  
    All you youngsters don't know how easy you've had it. Graffiti was the only consistent, reliable, and fast method for getting information into a touch device through about 2002. Even MS copied it for use in its Windows Mobile devices.

...and no, I didn't expect anyone to want to switch to Android just because of this program, but this thread has turned out to be a good way to separate the newbies/posers from the long-time/hardcore.

As for needing a stylus, because of the large screen size of many Androids (I have tried it on the Droid and Droid X), a stylus would just be extraneous. It's quite usable au natural and doesn't require you to look at the screen to use it (although it does require two hands).

@hparsons: Palm resolved their Graffiti issues with Xerox a long time ago. Access gained all rights to Graffiti after purchasing Palm Source.
    @hparsons: Palm resolved their Graffiti issues with Xerox a long time ago. Access gained all rights to Graffiti after purchasing Palm Source.
    Yep, I knew that. Well, sort of knew that - my understanding was that Access gained Palm's agreement with Xerox, but that's quibbling. My point remains, looks like the software (since it's not from Palm, Access, or Xerox) is treading on someone's IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, I knew that. Well, sort of knew that - my understanding was that Access gained Palm's agreement with Xerox, but that's quibbling. My point remains, looks like the software (since it's not from Palm, Access, or Xerox) is treading on someone's IP.
    It is from Access.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It is from Access.
    Yes it is, like I said in the original post in this thread.

@hparsons - avoid a career in IP consultation.
    sorry, stickin with webos. rather have wimo6.5 or just go back to palmOs5 than android
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm wondering if there's going to be legal issues over this. Xerox held a patent on Graffiti, with Palm having to pay a bunch of retroactive licensing fees. Part of that settlement was that Palm and Xerox agreed not to sue each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It is from Access.
    Yes it is, like I said in the original post in this thread.

@hparsons - avoid a career in IP consultation.
    Ahhh, I missed that. Sorry. As for a "career", notice I said "I'm wondering", as in "I don't really know for sure". Nah, no career in IP consultation for me. I'll leave that to the "internet experts" out there, who "know" everything already. Know what I mean Vern...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast