Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Many have discussed the issue of fragmentation of the Android OS, but something that may be an even bigger issue is the proliferation of hardware. Is there such a thing as too many choices? Will this water down the platform so that no handset can gain market distinction? Another issue with new hardware coming out every other day it seems, does that lead to consumer paralysis? Why buy the Droid X when the Samsung Galaxy is on the way? (not sure of the timelines).

it makes me wonder if Apple and Palm have the right idea. Limited hardware choices and build distinction through software and brand recognition. Of course Apple has done that better lately, but I'm still pulling for Palm.

just some ramblings after having friend tell me they got the Droid X today.
    Google I believe, is offering Android for free and also open source, so that's the reason for so many versions. Are there too many Android phones? Only time will tell if people finally get sick of Android. The phones with the most advanced features are still making headlines so that may be the key. Keep your Android phones filled with up-to-date, hot features and people wont get tired.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It just boggles my mind that choice is a bad thing now. ( o.O)?! I am amazed at how many handsets are being released on Android now. Last month the big thing (for Android)was the Evo, this month the Droid X And Galaxy S.
    it used to be so easy to have the hottest phone.....back in the days you could just get a razr be set!
    the fact that android is outselling the iPhone tells me that multiple choice is a good thing to phone buyers. I agree. I don't want a slab, but I think Palm should offer one...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    the fact that android is outselling the iPhone tells me that multiple choice is a good thing to phone buyers. I agree. I don't want a slab, but I think Palm should offer one...
    iPhone is only on one carrier... Im pretty sure Android is now on every carrier. (at least in america... can anyone correct me on that?)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    iPhone is only on one carrier... Im pretty sure Android is now on every carrier. (at least in america... can anyone correct me on that?)
    Well, I doubt Cricket and Boost have them... and there isn't a pay-as-you-go version being sold at gas stations yet...

Reserve yours today!
    Boost has a 1.5 Motorola on pre-paid.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    this will be one less android phone... but they will be replacing it...

Droid's Days Are Numbered, End-of-Life Docs Leaked

Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    yeah the poor suckers in the states are practically the only ones trapped in this situation. I mean, 5 years? Unheard of. I can go down the street right now and buy an unlocked iPhone from a hifi/electronics store.

Not that I would.
    I know ****ed off buddies that got new Android devices and shortly after newere ones came out... most recent was a friend that bought the Incredible and a month later it is a second rate phone
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    I'd say the Incredible is still a good phone.

Fragmentation will ease somewhat in the future I believe...as far as a glutteny of devices probably not. The one observation that suprises me the most is the lack of "blow me away" hardware. And with all the criticism that I give to Apple that is one area that I have admired about them. I am not speaking of processors, ram, and such. I am speaking of the utilization of quality materials like glass and aluminum. I would love to see more such devices...hopefully it comes from Palm...
    I think it hurts "brand recognition" for the general consumer... but it certainly has been more of a help than a hindrance at this point. Verizon has found some middle ground with "Droid" (various phones in the same line). This decision and their in your face marketing have helped the Android market explode (imo).
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Fragmentation will ease somewhat in the future I believe...as far as a glutteny of devices probably not. The one observation that suprises me the most is the lack of "blow me away" hardware. And with all the criticism that I give to Apple that is one area that I have admired about them. I am not speaking of processors, ram, and such. I am speaking of the utilization of quality materials like glass and aluminum. I would love to see more such devices...hopefully it comes from Palm...
    Its form over function in my opinion.

Your mobile phone is...mobile. Why should i have glass on BOTH sides of my device? I think the iPhone 3GS felt better in your hand then metal and glass edges IMO.

Looks really sexy no doubt...but once that fades...is it the most logical design?
    Isn't that like saying we should not have choice, hardware-wise, for all the different PCs running windows, linux, etc.? Dumbphones come in all shapes and sizes; why would we want to limit smartphones? I don't understand this logic at all.

I also don't understand the obsession with having "the hottest phone". When I buy a phone, I don't really care what comes out next month. I usually re-evaluate under two conditions.

1. The phone no longer meets my needs. This was the case after a few years with the 755p.
    2. The phone becomes a pain. This was the case with the Pre.

In both cases, I wait until my contract is up (or I'm eligible for an upgrade) before I make any moves.

Most of the people I know are like this. They don't get buyer's remorse every time a new phone comes out. Most of them don't even pay attention to new phones after they've made their purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    I know ****ed off buddies that got new Android devices and shortly after newere ones came out... most recent was a friend that bought the Incredible and a month later it is a second rate phone
    Huh...it's virtually identical to the Evo except that 720p recording hasn't been enabled yet, and it has a smaller screen. That makes it second rate? Really?
    I didn't think I would ever say this, had you asked me yesterday I probably wouldn't have said it but I think the Palm we know is DEAD. Here is why.

1. Last year Palm had to fight for there lives so to speak, they had to work hard and get devices out, just to survive, this is no longer the case, since the buyout, they can slow down, which isn't good, for them to be relevant in the smartphone race they have to be fighting to be ahead not taking their time.

2. HP says they will still make smartphones and I believe them, however, they will not be making them to be in the "smartphone race", the will be making them as just another product of the HP family, this again will slow down the pace, and we probably will not see the latest and fastes hardware specs, since they are not trying to beat apple or google, they are only trying to mantain the HP family of products.

3. HP/Palm have stated that they will be pushing into enterprise, which again means not the latest and fastest hardware specs but more likely sturdier devices and more reliable devices (great but not cutting edge)
    so the future of smartphones is apple VS google (maybe RIM too). Palm Phones will probably regain their name as sturdy reliable phones/PDA's for the business world BUT NOT the smartphone for geeks and gamers. I can only see market share dropping and less geeky fun features coming to Palm. As an example, Palm last year opted for 3D gaming VS business enterprise stuff, that will no longer be the case.

Abe
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I didn't think I would ever say this, had you asked me yesterday I probably wouldn't have said it but I think the Palm we know is DEAD. Here is why.

1. Last year Palm had to fight for there lives so to speak, they had to work hard and get devices out, just to survive, this is no longer the case, since the buyout, they can slow down, which isn't good, for them to be relevant in the smartphone race they have to be fighting to be ahead not taking their time.

2. HP says they will still make smartphones and I believe them, however, they will not be making them to be in the "smartphone race", the will be making them as just another product of the HP family, this again will slow down the pace, and we probably will not see the latest and fastes hardware specs, since they are not trying to beat apple or google, they are only trying to mantain the HP family of products.

3. HP/Palm have stated that they will be pushing into enterprise, which again means not the latest and fastest hardware specs but more likely sturdier devices and more reliable devices (great but not cutting edge)
    so the future of smartphones is apple VS google (maybe RIM too). Palm Phones will probably regain their name as sturdy reliable phones/PDA's for the business world BUT NOT the smartphone for geeks and gamers. I can only see market share dropping and less geeky fun features coming to Palm. As an example, Palm last year opted for 3D gaming VS business enterprise stuff, that will no longer be the case.

Abe
    Making a push into enterprise will be a daunting one. There's a reason why most businesses are still using windows xp. They hate change and see little reason to fix what's working. RIM has a solid footprint. But even consumer platforms like Apple are making some headway into enterprise because employees and owners are consumers too.

Palm had the right idea. Target mainstream. That's where the smartphone market is exploding. Apple has one form factor and limited carriers. Android has many makers (that consumers don't really care about), every carrier, and many devices.

HP's task is to be apple like but have that android appeal. The best of both worlds.
    yeah that's what they should aim for, BUT I'm pretty sure they don't think that way, and that's where the issue is
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast