Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    We have to realize that webOS is fragmented now.

I'd like to pin the blame on carriers. Palm finished 1.4.5 many, many months ago. They released a fix for the bug to developers. The only thing holding the update back was the carriers who had to put their own applications in the actual ROM.

Palm needs to remove carriers from the update equation to remove the fragmentation issue and speed up user updates, and carriers need to offer their applications to the App Catalog so people can still download them.
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    ...carriers need to offer their applications to the App Catalog so people can still download them.
    Amen to that!!!! Never understood that both with carriers (mobile) and OEMs (non-mobile). What's with the bloat-ware? Why force it on us? Worse yet; why can't we easily remove these? I just don't get it.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    the iphone 3g cannotrun multitasking and it can't run someotherfeatures that the 3gs is capable off. Phone will be fragmented as newer software that can only run on higher spec hardware.

no operating system will be immune to this program.

I won't be surprised if sprint pres struggle more with 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Many speculated that Palm already had things to announce but was holding off until everything was final. It's only been a couple weeks... but I would say if you don't hear anything within the next 2-4 weeks... be concerned... be very concerned.

It means there was never anything truly ready to be announced...
    Or plans have changed somewhat significantly... which will likely take even more time to work itself out.

Either way... it likely means you are fairly safe now moving to another platform (if you desire) and returning to Palm (if you desire) when/if this "announcement" comes to fruition (i.e. actually released).
    Curiouser and Curiouser: It's always safe to move to another platform if you think you'll be happier with another platform. If you're on Sprint, it's only a matter of months before you can upgrade again. The issue with many who haven't changed devices is that we don't think we'll be happier with another platform and that we'll have wasted an upgrade.
    Looks like Android fragmentation is rapidly diminishing (Link).

70% are on android 2.x now, which is probably a higher percentage than those on webOS 1.4.5.

There's a nice write up of the Android API levels at Android Developers that shows how this helps developers understand which APIs will be backward compatible so they can make the appropriate development decisions.

As to the hardware glut - I only wish. Instead, it's a hardware drought. People can't get their hands on Android devices fast enough.
    I wonder that the OS chart kooks like for webOS? I'd bet that way less than 70% have 1.4.5 currently.
    regular consumers don't think about fragmentation when they buy phones. i think it's a non issue for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    regular consumers don't think about fragmentation when they buy phones. i think it's a non issue for the most part.
    More accurately, it's a red herring used by webOS fanatics in an attempt to distract non-fanatics away from webOS' abysmal market performance to date: "Sure there are more androids being sold every month than the total number of webOS devices, but their OS fragmentation makes them unusable!"

The 'fragmentation' argument is best summed up by Yogi Berra's famous qoute about a St Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
    lol oh Yogi.
    you've got to love yogi - another classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The 'fragmentation' argument is best summed up by Yogi Berra's famous qoute about a St Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
    Funny.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123