Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster | Mobilize - InfoWorld

There's no kind way to say it: Windows Phone 7 will be a failure. Announced to much bravado in February as the platform that would breathe life into Microsoft's mobile ambitions, Windows Phone 7 looked based on very early previews as if it might bring something new and exciting to the table. Back then, I noted that I was impressed by what I saw -- with the caveat "so far."

No caveats now: Windows Phone 7 is a waste of time and money. It's a platform that no carrier, device maker, developer, or user should bother with. Microsoft should kill it before it ships and admit that it's out of the mobile game for good. It is supposed to ship around Christmas 2010, but anyone who gets one will prefer a lump of coal. I really mean that.

The early demos were intriguing due to the use of the card metaphor to organize apps and information, providing a possible fluidity among apps and information that would let users swim through their business and social activities. And the distinct UI -- though based on the unsuccessful Zune media player -- looked as if it would stand out from the crowd of mobile devices that have largely copied the iPhone UI, such as Google's Android, RIM's touch-oriented BlackBerry Storm, and Palm's WebOS.

But that was just the lipstick. Now, in Microsoft's in-depth demo this week at the Mobile Beat conference, there's no mistaking the big pig behind the gloss. Seeing the UI in action across several tasks, not just in a highly controlled presentation, shows how awkward and unsophisticated it is -- I had the same feeling you get when you got a movie based on a great trailer, only to discover that all the good stuff was in the trailer and the rest of the movie was a mess. A pig, in fact.

And it's not just the UI: Under the hood, Windows Phone 7 rests on creakingly old technology that the main competitors have all moved past.
    OUCH.

The rest is a pretty thorough trashing that seems well-supported by specific examples. I had high hopes, but I guess for the forseeable future, I'm only thinking about Android and WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster | Mobilize - InfoWorld

OUCH.

The rest is a pretty thorough trashing that seems well-supported by specific examples. I had high hopes, but I guess for the forseeable future, I'm only thinking about Android and WebOS.
    no surprise -- M$ is derivative, bureaucratic, and stultified.

I don't even think Win 7's UI is an improvement over Vista or xp

As I've said several times previously, to compete with a very good free OS (Android), M$ had to plant something incomprehensibly, bloody awesome -- nice to see they haven't disappointed.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  3.    #3  
    I actually love the look of Windows Phone 7 on my desktop (and I'm putting it on my HP Mini 311 soon), thanks to Rainmeter and Omino. It only made me more excited for the phone.

But if the Pre has taught me anything, it's that you may want to give a new product a generation or two (or three) to work out the kinks. Hopefully, WP7 makes it to that point before Microsoft pulls the plug.
    But will it have Flash?

/jk

That review makes the phone sound atrocious. The flaws he describes are Microsoft style though, so I have no reason to doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    But will it have Flash?

/jk

That review makes the phone sound atrocious. The flaws he describes are Microsoft style though, so I have no reason to doubt it.
    some more details from article:

...it does not support HTML5, as the iPhone, Android, WebOS, and Nokia Symbian all do. Didn't anyone on the Windows Phone 7 team know about IE9 and its embrace of HTML5? Why isn't Windows Phone 7 using IE9?

It does not support multitasking except for Microsoft's own first-party apps, meaning the browser, email client, SMS client, and other such preinstalled applications. When you switch applications, they shut down -- just like the iPhone did until iOS 4 was released this spring. Android and WebOS, of course, supported multitasking more than a year ago, and Google and Palm mercilessly attacked Apple for not supporting it as well. Yet Microsoft didn't build multitasking into Windows Phone 7 at the outset?

This lack of multitasking also means there's no such concept as interapplication communication for third-party apps, not even for a primitive work-around such as the iPhone OS 3.2's "Open In" feature. Thus, apps can't work together ŕ la in WebOS -- even though the UI that Microsoft has shown off seemed designed to do just that. The only thing that Windows Phone 7 will do is let third-party apps call first-party apps, so clicking a URL in a text message will launch the first-party IE browser to show the URL. Of course, doing so closes the app that had the text link in it. (First-party apps can call other first-party apps, and these would all continue to run in parallel.)

It doesn't support copy and paste...

Pretty much no need to read on after that.
    I think it will be about as successful as WebOS has been. Third Party WM app developers are already saying they will pass and WM Experts posters are saying their apps sucked anyway. I am reminded of the PalmOS to WebOS transition.
    Somehow, Microsoft is taking a page from the Palm's playbook: Announce early and then let the excitement die out. Good luck with that!

I always like it when a new OS comes out with a new concept in UI. The new "Metro" UI of theirs' was pretty interesting. Unlike MeeGo, which looks more like a fusion of webOS and Android. A UI that looks that familiar is not cool. However, the way Microsoft is doing this makes me feel they'd be once again ruining a nice concept with bad marketing and implementation, like the KIN.

Let's see how it goes.
    Apple will be in the same mess as microsoft within 3 years of Jobs leaving - whether that be from old age, health, whatever... You can see that Microsoft became the next IBM, and Apple is becoming the next Microsoft. I'm hoping Palm will become the next Apple as big dogs like Apple and Google become too big to be creative or nimble.

in other news, Motorola appears to really not understand the potential of Android and giving Samsung/HTC the chance to run them over... If you will recall the mess they made of the Backflip on AT&T... here they go again:

Don’t Hack or Mod the Droid X, Unless You Want a Useless Paperweight
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Wow that has to be one of the most scathing pieces of review of any product I have ever read. If that piece gets picked up by any mass media outlet, MSM7 could be in even bigger trouble that it already is.

Nice to know that one competitor for WebOS isn't even in the game though We've got enough to handle with iPhone OS, Android, and Blackberry OS.
    wth? I liked windows phone seven is different and it looks really cool idk maybe it's just me
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Apple will be in the same mess as microsoft within 3 years of Jobs leaving - whether that be from old age, health, whatever... You can see that Microsoft became the next IBM, and Apple is becoming the next Microsoft. I'm hoping Palm will become the next Apple as big dogs like Apple and Google become too big to be creative or nimble...
    BARYE -- sweet uncynical simian that he is -- loves optimism, hope, and all that crap. But where in giant HP 's crushing of Palm into its cold heartless bosom, can one find any basis to believe the sun will be out tomorrow ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/15/2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: it now reads much better
    Whenever I think of Microsoft and see stories like this, I envision MS as a behemoth stuck in a mud pit just waiting to die and become extinct. Ok.. maybe a bit of an overstatement, but the differences between MS and the other companies like Google, Palm, Apple, etc... is like the difference between a grandfather and a teenager.

MS has become that old guy sitting on the porch yelling at the neighborhood kids to quiet down while living the later days remembering how it "used to be". MS has lost focus, lost drive, and has no desire to truly unleash their teams to simply create without the hand of the old codgers in the Board breathing down their necks. Their "MS software first" way of seeing business has hobbled them to the point they simply cannot compete in the mobile world. They could... they just can't until they realize that their 1980's way of seeing the electronics industry is gone. It's a new world.... and one for younger mindsets. Time for them to let go of old ways, or get out of the way.

Of course... I could care less if MS does well... I'd rather see them dump mobile and get out of the way for Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Sweet uncynical simian as BARYE is, I love optimism, hope and all that crap -- but where can one find in giant HP embracing Palm into its cold heartless bosom, any basis to believe the sun will be out tomorrow ??
    Good question. I find it in the realization that Palm has been spun off and absorbed several times... and that could happen again. Or, HP could write a huge check and tell Ruby to do as he sees fit. As long as they don't let him hire any marketing or advertising people... he would do amazing things with it!

Onward!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I have to say that WP7 seems to me to be like those Soviet IBM mainframe clones produced during the cold war... up to 1998! They would have been great at one time. But their time had passed.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Apple will be in the same mess as microsoft within 3 years of Jobs leaving - whether that be from old age, health, whatever... You can see that Microsoft became the next IBM, and Apple is becoming the next Microsoft. I'm hoping Palm will become the next Apple as big dogs like Apple and Google become too big to be creative or nimble.

in other news, Motorola appears to really not understand the potential of Android and giving Samsung/HTC the chance to run them over... If you will recall the mess they made of the Backflip on AT&T... here they go again:

Don’t Hack or Mod the Droid X, Unless You Want a Useless Paperweight
    Yes Motorola is shortsighted, saying their phones are only for consumers.

Motorola says if you want to flash custom ROM’s, buy from another company | andrew | Androinica

The Backflip was ed up by AT&T more though. The Droid X is still a better phone, even with all that crap from Motorola.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Saddest piece of tech journalism I've come across in a while. The only reason it was written was to drive hits, it seems. Link bait.. And the saddest part is that it worked flawlessly. Not that I'm personally visiting that site, or taking it serious, ever again..

There are multiple articles out debunking this bs "review" (written by a former MacWorld editor...):

Don’t bother with this blog post disaster « Windows Phone Secrets
    I'm sorry but the stuff BARYE pointed out will be missing from the get go has me scratching my head too. Unless you're Apple, you can't start new but leaving features out. Especially when your old OS had support for 2 of those. They will need to add everything that's missing ASAP.

I don't know whether WP7 is doomed or not, but I don't think it's a good idea to start out behind. MSFT needs new blood badly.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Saddest piece of tech journalism I've come across in a while. The only reason it was written was to drive hits, it seems. Link bait.. And the saddest part is that it worked flawlessly. Not that I'm personally visiting that site, or taking it serious, ever again..

There are multiple articles out debunking this bs "review" (written by a former MacWorld editor...):

Don’t bother with this blog post disaster « Windows Phone Secrets
    On the other hand, Paul Thurrott who wrote the debunking article has been up MS' *** for a while. I do like a lot of the articles he writes, but he's definitely pro-Microsoft.

I think most of the actual objective people in the matter are sitting this one out for now, and will do the reasonable thing and wait and see when the devices come out.

It's definitely a new paradigm for phones, but that also means that especially in this case it'll have to be something that you'll have to see if it works for you compared to the old way.

Anyone who is already saying it's amazing or it sucks should probably be ignored, since it's way too early to tell.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    On the other hand, Paul Thurrott who wrote the debunking article has been up MS' *** for a while. I do like a lot of the articles he writes, but he's definitely pro-Microsoft.

I think most of the actual objective people in the matter are sitting this one out for now, and will do the reasonable thing and wait and see when the devices come out.

It's definitely a new paradigm for phones, but that also means that especially in this case it'll have to be something that you'll have to see if it works for you compared to the old way.

Anyone who is already saying it's amazing or it sucks should probably be ignored, since it's way too early to tell.
    LOL...I totally agree. I don't think you guys should take this article to heart. I mean, really, no phones has come out and they are alreadt giving it the DOA treatment. I own a Zune HD, and if winmo7 is anything like it, it will be awesome.
    Hi all,

Once again, MS has shown that they step into it every time they try to make a product outside of windows....

They basically are a firm with a very, very mature main business, that of the world's most popular PC OS.....however, unlike those heady days when we went form MS DOS to Win 95, hardly anyone rushes out to but a new OS for their PC. They wait until they need a new PC and get a new OS then.

Therefore, MS tried to get into IO devices. such as mice, etc... which makes up a very small portion of the market for low profit items...

They tried to get into the gaming business...which has not been a huge success...Windows CE was a major bust...and now there is windows 7 for mobile computing... etc.......all I can say is YAWN!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast