Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Question...why do they need HTML 5 at launch?

iPhone already proved you don't need multi-tasking and they have said in interviews they want to make sure optimize 3rd party multi-tasking before just giving it to consumers....they are also working on copy and paste.

The issue is they have to give manufacturers a gold copy of the OS at some point so you stop adding features an work on them after your product ships.

Believe or not...to many many many smart phone consumers...multi-tasking an copy and paste aren't must have features. But its not like its never coming.

And again i draw back to most of us picking up the Pre last year...no video recording or real copy and paste. Yet we sat and made excuses for Palm.

"its a new OS give it time."

Yet, it seems some people here are quick to point out the same flaws that plagued the Pre as issues here. Even though the Pre's copy & paste is still flawed in the browser.

please ...

To justify releasing Win7's without cut/paste; multitasking; and Flash etc. based on how Palm launched ????

Maybe you've not noticed -- but the Pre launch was not so terrific.

You probably know all this stuff better than me, but I seem to remember that a year or so before Windows 7 desktop became commercially available, M$ distributed for free, tons of free release candidate previews of the OS. It was a bug testing shakedown -- and they did not charge users who installed it.

I have stated before that the only chance M$ has with Win7 is if they treat it like a beta version -- a "release candidate". Software for which OEM's are not charged, or perhaps are even "paid" in some way for using it.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    They will pay M$ (DOLLAR SIGN 1995-LOOOOOL ) just like they're still paying them for WM6.5 right now. Because it will make them money.

Let's say an Android phone by SE is $550. They can potentially sell 1m units. But there are a lot of Android phones out there and they want to create another phone with another consumer in mind. One who wants Office, Xbox and Zune. They'll produce another phone with the same components. Microsoft charges a $10 WP7 license fee per unit. So they'll just charge $560 (instead of $550 for the Android phone) and can potentially sell another 1m units.

Keep in mind there are a lot of other costs. The SE Android skin, for example..

The same could be said for Google. Their investors are getting uneasy about giving Android away for free. They're not making (a lot of) money on mobile search yet..

Maybe you're right -- maybe Win7 sells a million units. (unlikely, but lets pretend...)

An OEM must decide if the total Win7 pie is one million units, and there are 10 potential Win7 OEMs, what is the percentage that they can capture ??

The smaller the pie, and the more its divided -- the less viable the investment and greater the risk becomes for OEMs. And OEMs will not know for sure what rival OEMs are planning w/Win7 -- this uncertainty may well be another inhibition to wide OEM adoption of Win7.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/20/2010 at 05:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE;
    Maybe you're right -- maybe Win7 sells a million units. (unlikely, but lets pretend...)

An OEM must decide if the total Win7 pie is one million units, and there are 10 potential Win7 OEMs, what is the percentage that they can capture ??

The smaller the pie, and the more its divided -- the less viable the investment and risk becomes for OEMs. And OEMs will not know for sure what rival OEMs are planning w/Win7 -- this uncertainty may well be another inhibition to wide OEM adoption of Win7.
    Obviously the 1m units was just an example. Someone was asking how Microsoft could ask money for their OS, while Android is free. Well, as I said, they'll just charge extra..

Who knows how big the risk is really. Maybe they can make profit by selling a 100k units, maybe not.. Maybe Microsoft gives LG WP7 for free if they put W7 on all their PCs, I don't know. I'm pretty certain they'll have better OEM support than Google at launch though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    So again i echo how can a journalist say this is doomed for failure when in all honesty, is more put together in many ways than WebOS now? Unless WebOS is doomed for failure (i personally don't think so).
    WebOS probably is doomed for failure. In many ways it has already failed. The company that created it had to sell itself to HP losing many of the people that created it in the process. According to one survey, it now has zero mind share.
    How many other definitions of failure do we need?
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Obviously the 1m units was just an example. Someone was asking how Microsoft could ask money for their OS, while Android is free. Well, as I said, they'll just charge extra...
    for the record, the someone who has been pounding that drum for weeks is BARYE
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Clearly you don't understand HTC's strategy.

Sense is not something they have to "waste their time" doing. They could easily release a phone with the stock Android UI. They have spent a lot of time and energy developing Sense in order to develop their brand and differentiate their phones from the competition despite running the same OS. Not being able to use Sense will be a frustration for HTC, not something they're happy about.
    One major problem with the WP7 strategy is it leaves OEMs with little opportunity to differentiate themselves. MS is trying to have its cake and eat it.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    for the record, the someone who has been pounding that drum for weeks is BARYE
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Man you guys sound like a bunch of bitter pre or ex-pre users. WP7 will easily trounce the pre when it's released. The writing's on the wall.

One thing MS are doing perfect from the get go is having their developer tools out (for 2 months now) and having the app store available from day one.

Fact is zune desktop software is easily better than itunes and the zune software on WP7 will probably be better than the iphone equivalent. The music player on the iphone and ipod touch is not the best. Add on that you get the option to get the zune pass for the phone and they're also bringing zune music to the 360 this fall I couldn't be happier. Palm and android deserves no mention in this category; their efforts are pathetic considering how long they've been out.

You all saw the video of how there was not one lag, jitter, hesitation, stutter, or whatever you want to call it within WP7 os. It's speed and responsiveness it on par or even better than the iphone considering you have the panoramic display your scrolling through while iphone is basically button presses. WebOS definitely cannot be mentioned in this category with its lagging ***. Android even with the best hardware on the market stutters occasionally. In my experience the the only thing that will always be smooth in android is the app drawer. But doing something so simple as going to the next home screen has caused a stutter in my experience. Both of these should be better on WebOS and Android considering how long they've been out. Just another thing that WP7 1.0 beta has over them. Guess it's down to code.

To the guy who said their xbox games hub doesn't exist. It does exist they're are just not going to show it yet. Why? Maybe because that would leave more questions than answers. Like how do the achievements in games work? How many achievements can a game have? How does multi-player work? Can you play your 360 arcade games? Does your gamer score on WP7 add onto your regular gamer score on the 360? Most importantly how many games at launch? Now the last question alone is enough of a reason to hold off on showing the xbox hub because MS have no idea how many games will be released at launch rite now. Just like they'll let you import your 360 avatar to the phone just to show it works. sigh... Either way if you own an iphone, android phone, palm phone, or any other phone you should just shut the hell up. They won't have as many games as the iphone of course but this is basically xbox live on your phone. It will be social and it will be an experience instead of just another game. They will probably pass android in 3d game easily also. WebOs is a given. Android, iphone, WebOs really should have done better considering how long they've been out.

WP7 already has voice search with three options:
    -Find
    -Open
    -Call
    Where is webOs's voice search.

You guys are being ridiculous. I understand not liking something but you all are acting as if it can't compete when this 1.0 product beats the others in areas in which they've had years to work on. It even offers things you will never find on other platforms.

But whatever. . .

I own a Pre (Going to the garbage once WP7 comes out. skipped the evo for this).
    I own a 360.
    I own a zune.
    I own Windows 7
    Computer Science major
    Downloaded the tools
    Going to own WP7
    Hi all,

I found more info on the Win 7 Smart Phone line. (Do keep in mind, I did not write it, I am posting it)!

Take care,

Jay

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic
    by Brandon Dimmel on 20100719 @ 11:24AM EST

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic / Infopackets.com

The highly-anticipated Windows Phone 7 smartphone operating system (OS) has been blasted by at least one popular technology website shortly before its release. InfoWorld, which recently reviewed the software, referred to the new mobile OS as a "tepid knockoff" of similar and older offerings of the Apple iPhone.

"It's as if Microsoft decided in summer 2007 to copy the iPhone and has shut its developers in a bunker ever since, so they don't realize that several years have passed, that the iPhone has advanced, and that competitors such as Google Android and Palm WebOS have also pushed the needle forward," said InfoWorld blogger Galen Gruman. (Source: pcr-online.biz)

Windows Phone 7 Navigation A Disaster
    The major problem with Windows Phone 7 is its navigation. According to Gruman, getting around menu screens and windows is all about scrolling -- way too much scrolling, in fact.

A big problem may be that Windows Phone 7 just isn't receiving the love that has been shown with other mobile operating systems. According to Gruman, who made the comments at the Mobile Beat developer conference last week, "I was appalled, flummoxed, and stupefied by what I saw and the answers to the questions from the 15 or so developers in the audience... it should be noted that minuscule attendance and the utter lack of passion in the room spoke volumes about Windows Phone 7's ultimate fate as well. By comparison, about five times as many people attended a session on WebOS." (Source: seattlepi.com)

Will Microsoft Pull the Kill Switch on Windows Phone 7?
    Things didn't always look so terrible for Microsoft's mobile OS. In March, Gruman characterized the system as considerably original, noting that Windows Phone 7 "uses a radically different approach to organizing information and apps... there's a good chance that Microsoft is on to something powerful."

That said, reports closer to the launch of Windows Phone 7 suggest it's unlikely to go over very well at all. In considering the navigation mess, Gruman suggested the Microsoft simply kill the mobile OS before anyone even gets a chance to experience it.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I found more info on the Win 7 Smart Phone line. (Do keep in mind, I did not write it, I am posting it)!

Take care,

Jay

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic
    by Brandon Dimmel on 20100719 @ 11:24AM EST

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic / Infopackets.com

The highly-anticipated Windows Phone 7 smartphone operating system (OS) has been blasted by at least one popular technology website shortly before its release. InfoWorld, which recently reviewed the software, referred to the new mobile OS as a "tepid knockoff" of similar and older offerings of the Apple iPhone.

"It's as if Microsoft decided in summer 2007 to copy the iPhone and has shut its developers in a bunker ever since, so they don't realize that several years have passed, that the iPhone has advanced, and that competitors such as Google Android and Palm WebOS have also pushed the needle forward," said InfoWorld blogger Galen Gruman. (Source: pcr-online.biz)

Windows Phone 7 Navigation A Disaster
    The major problem with Windows Phone 7 is its navigation. According to Gruman, getting around menu screens and windows is all about scrolling -- way too much scrolling, in fact.

A big problem may be that Windows Phone 7 just isn't receiving the love that has been shown with other mobile operating systems. According to Gruman, who made the comments at the Mobile Beat developer conference last week, "I was appalled, flummoxed, and stupefied by what I saw and the answers to the questions from the 15 or so developers in the audience... it should be noted that minuscule attendance and the utter lack of passion in the room spoke volumes about Windows Phone 7's ultimate fate as well. By comparison, about five times as many people attended a session on WebOS." (Source: seattlepi.com)

Will Microsoft Pull the Kill Switch on Windows Phone 7?
    Things didn't always look so terrible for Microsoft's mobile OS. In March, Gruman characterized the system as considerably original, noting that Windows Phone 7 "uses a radically different approach to organizing information and apps... there's a good chance that Microsoft is on to something powerful."

That said, reports closer to the launch of Windows Phone 7 suggest it's unlikely to go over very well at all. In considering the navigation mess, Gruman suggested the Microsoft simply kill the mobile OS before anyone even gets a chance to experience it.
    haven't you posted this already -- in this thread ??

http://discussion.treocentral.com/ot...ml#post2563240
    I think its his blog its linked to
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345