Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm sorry but the stuff BARYE pointed out will be missing from the get go has me scratching my head too. Unless you're Apple, you can't start new but leaving features out. Especially when your old OS had support for 2 of those. They will need to add everything that's missing ASAP.

I don't know whether WP7 is doomed or not, but I don't think it's a good idea to start out behind. MSFT needs new blood badly.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/windows-phone-7-in-depth-preview/

Ms. Diva is quite right -- M$ badly needs new blood, new management.

I read most of that Engadget article -- an article which is a fairly thorough and unbiased review of where Win7 is currently.

The very strong impression I get is that Win7's weaknesses and omissions completely overwhelm whatever positives it has.

The reality is that this is an OS that first will be pitched as a business user's OS. For M$ to offer its own Office application without cut and paste is worse than a joke -- its pathetic. What is Office being offered for -- if you can't cut and paste within it ???

There is no user filtering of Facebook contacts.

No multi-tasking.

No Flash, no HTML5 -- not even their own Silverlight in their own browser.

I'm not an itunes or zune user. I generally hate the way that Jobs tries to make me do stuff his way. But the reality is that most folks who care about music and media will want to use an itunes metaphor -- and almost no one uses the zune. Having zune be its integration metaphor is problematic at best.

I'm shocked by the terribly poor user options for customizing how they use, filter, and display their data and contacts.

Maybe M$ is on a deadline -- maybe they haven't the intellectual resources and bench strength to get a "ready for primetime" OS out for fall release.

M$ should not release this OS without fixing what's wrong first.

I have said what I am about to say again, repeatedly -- but I still don't think its been heard. (is it perhaps because of BARYE's thick Corsican accent ??):

M$ wants OEMs to pay it for its OS when those same OEMs already can use an excellent existing OS which has a large user base, big developer support, and great marketplace visibility -- an OS they get FOR FREE.

Again -- M$ must compete against FREE. Unlike Apple, RIM, Nokia, and HP(??), M$ does not make its own hardware. OEMs need to choose to buy or not what M$ creates.

If Win7 was the magical bleepin OS that granted 3 wishes, it would still be competing against FREE. Its darn clear from the preliminary reviews from unbiased sources, that as of now and likely at release -- Win7 is not going to be so magical that it will grant you any 3 wishes.

And it will be starting from scratch without Apps, without visibility, without an existing user base that would attract developers.

Again -- why do OEMs pay M$ for this ???

Bottom line: this OS has a very limited future.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/19/2010 at 05:44 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    just a quick reply to what you said about the zune. I have owned one since the release of the original 30gb and I currently have a 32gb Zune HD. If the person is truly using the device for videos, pictures, and music then the Zune is the best IMO. Most people blindly buy the Ipod because the games and the app catalog. I love the depth of info that it goes into for the library on your player which is also on the Zune HD. Microsoft did really well the second time around but with poor marketing the zune HD never got the attention nor respect that it deserves....
    I was a huge windows mobile fan boy (stuck with em for 6 or so years) and it progressivly got better. 6.5.1 was absolutely my most favorite iteration of WM...... and then they showed us screenshots of wp7. I got my pre shortly after, haha. WP7 was the mythical cureall for WM and it left mevery disappointed.
    If you use Windows, it's not that confusing, except in certain areas. It's true they buried some stuff, which made it hard to remember where it was. That p....ed me off a bit.

But Office, threaded messaging, templates, draft save, built-in calender, tasks. etc. I needed all of that and WM delivered.
    One thing that irritated me on the Tilt Pro was having to turn on the push email on an EAS account and having to do it from a setting menu completely separate from the main settings menu for that account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    just a quick reply to what you said about the zune. I have owned one since the release of the original 30gb and I currently have a 32gb Zune HD. If the person is truly using the device for videos, pictures, and music then the Zune is the best IMO. Most people blindly buy the Ipod because the games and the app catalog. I love the depth of info that it goes into for the library on your player which is also on the Zune HD. Microsoft did really well the second time around but with poor marketing the zune HD never got the attention nor respect that it deserves....
    Its great you love your Zune but since few people share your opinion (based on market share), Zune will not help Microsoft sell phones.
    The Zune HD is a great device as a media player, actually better than iPod for what it offers if you're a strong music fan. Trying music before you buy may sound lame to some, but it has helped me to find new music legally and also try albums I wasn't going to buy because I was on the fence. I agree, the iPod is NOT the only thing out there. But try the Cowon or Sony lines also, if you want truly great sound. iPod nor Zune are the best in terms of sound quality.

But in terms of selling phones, the Xbox 360 integration would help more I think. Provided MSFT doesn't blow it again, but since this is their pet project(Kin was not actually), I'm hoping they do better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    But in terms of selling phones, the Xbox 360 integration would help more I think. Provided MSFT doesn't blow it again, but since this is their pet project(Kin was not actually), I'm hoping they do better.
    as described in the article, xbox integration as currently configured is LAME.

It could be a competive advantage -- it should be a competive advantage -- as of now though its largely useless

Making a fun gaming platform, making a legit gaming extension to xbox -- this should be a nobrainer -- why can't they even master that stuff in time for release ???
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    [COLOR="Navy"]I agree, the iPod is NOT the only thing out there.
    Maybe not but it has most of the market and a lot of 3rd party support (e.g. BMW has an option that integrates an iPod into the in car entertainment system)
    Engadets review was MUCH different.

Windows Phone 7 in-depth preview -- Engadget

So was Gizmodo's
    Windows Phone 7 In Depth: A Fresh Start

who to believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Once again, MS has shown that they step into it every time they try to make a product outside of windows....

They basically are a firm with a very, very mature main business, that of the world's most popular PC OS.....however, unlike those heady days when we went form MS DOS to Win 95, hardly anyone rushes out to but a new OS for their PC. They wait until they need a new PC and get a new OS then.

Therefore, MS tried to get into IO devices. such as mice, etc... which makes up a very small portion of the market for low profit items...

They tried to get into the gaming business...which has not been a huge success...Windows CE was a major bust...and now there is windows 7 for mobile computing... etc.......all I can say is YAWN!

Take care,

Jay
    Wait what?

Yeah sure its a minor percentage on a profit scale that includes Office and Windows...but Xbox is one of microsofts biggest known products.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Techcrunch has a good preview as well.

Pre-Review Preview: Windows Phone 7

To me the InfoSomething review still is a biased mac-fan bash article, nobody should be linking. I'm not saying WP7 will be great, but there are enough professional (p)reviews out now to get a reasonable idea of what WP7 will be. If you want a fan_boy's opinion just go read some random forum..
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Engadets review was MUCH different.

Windows Phone 7 in-depth preview -- Engadget

So was Gizmodo's
    Windows Phone 7 In Depth: A Fresh Start

who to believe?
    Different in tone perhaps but the facts presented are the same in all the reviews. Its just the opinions which are different.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Different in tone perhaps but the facts presented are the same in all the reviews. Its just the opinions which are different.
    I don't remember reading many facts in the InfoWorld article. Mostly just bashing and saying it's awful. Except for multitasking and copy&paste, which sucks but we've known for months now. The article's title is "Don't bother with this disaster" for Pete's sake...
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't remember reading many facts in the InfoWorld article. Mostly just bashing and saying it's awful. Except for multitasking and copy&paste, which sucks but we've known for months now. The article's title is "Don't bother with this disaster" for Pete's sake...
    There were other facts in the article:

The UI requires a lot of scrolling

Its browser is Internet Explorer 7, with some IE8 capabilities added -- that means it does not support HTML5

no such concept as interapplication communication for third-party apps
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There were other facts in the article:

The UI requires a lot of scrolling

Its browser is Internet Explorer 7, with some IE8 capabilities added -- that means it does not support HTML5

no such concept as interapplication communication for third-party apps
    Does that, in your opinion, justify the "don't bother with this disaster" title + several paragraphs of bashing?
    Does that, in your opinion, justify the "don't bother with this disaster" title + several paragraphs of bashing?
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I think the truth lies somewhere between Engadget and BGR.
    Hi, all,

I just found this & thought it fit into the discussion well.

Take care, Jay

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic
    by Brandon Dimmel on 20100719 @ 11:24AM EST

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic / Infopackets.com

The highly-anticipated Windows Phone 7 smartphone operating system (OS) has been blasted by at least one popular technology website shortly before its release. InfoWorld, which recently reviewed the software, referred to the new mobile OS as a "tepid knockoff" of similar and older offerings of the Apple iPhone.

"It's as if Microsoft decided in summer 2007 to copy the iPhone and has shut its developers in a bunker ever since, so they don't realize that several years have passed, that the iPhone has advanced, and that competitors such as Google Android and Palm WebOS have also pushed the needle forward," said InfoWorld blogger Galen Gruman. (Source: pcr-online.biz)

Windows Phone 7 Navigation A Disaster
    The major problem with Windows Phone 7 is its navigation. According to Gruman, getting around menu screens and windows is all about scrolling -- way too much scrolling, in fact.

A big problem may be that Windows Phone 7 just isn't receiving the love that has been shown with other mobile operating systems. According to Gruman, who made the comments at the Mobile Beat developer conference last week, "I was appalled, flummoxed, and stupefied by what I saw and the answers to the questions from the 15 or so developers in the audience... it should be noted that minuscule attendance and the utter lack of passion in the room spoke volumes about Windows Phone 7's ultimate fate as well. By comparison, about five times as many people attended a session on WebOS." (Source: seattlepi.com)

Will Microsoft Pull the Kill Switch on Windows Phone 7?
    Things didn't always look so terrible for Microsoft's mobile OS. In March, Gruman characterized the system as considerably original, noting that Windows Phone 7 "uses a radically different approach to organizing information and apps... there's a good chance that Microsoft is on to something powerful."

That said, reports closer to the launch of Windows Phone 7 suggest it's unlikely to go over very well at all. In considering the navigation mess, Gruman suggested the Microsoft simply kill the mobile OS before anyone even gets a chance to experience it.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    looking at videos and using a Zune HD i don't know why they think its a navigation nightmare.

is it different? Certainly. Is it A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF SCROLLING!!!!!

No.

Will it be for everyone? No just like every phone OS.

I just think these super bashing articles are a bit strong. Its missing stuff, but so was WebOS (hell its still missing stuff)....and Microsoft won't sit and not update their software. Even if Win Mo 6.5 was long in the tooth, the whole line always was getting updates.
    Right?

Like for instance...when WebOS came out:
    -Very little apps
    - No copy and paste
    -No document editing support (still none!)
    -Many issues with the browser (alot better now)
    -audio player support is awful (still is)
    -Laggy UI (still is)

And i'm sure others could add more. IMO, Windows phone 7 is in a better spot then WebOS was at launch. It looks really solid even with the missing features. The UI responsiveness is the first phone to match the iPhone's level of response in the videos i've seen...from scrolling to transitions. It looks really good.

Seeing Engadget is typically super critical of MS, their preview gives me hope for the phone OS as the more the better.

But to claim that MS should not even bother? That journalist needs his journalistic opinion revoked. Sounds more like trash talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, all,

I just found this & thought it fit into the discussion well.

Take care, Jay

Win7 Phone a 'Tepid iPhone Knock-off', Says Critic
    Calling it an iphone knock off right there means I can't trust his opinion.

Furthest OS we've seen from being an iphone knock off.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast