Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    On the other hand, Paul Thurrott who wrote the debunking article has been up MS' *** for a while. I do like a lot of the articles he writes, but he's definitely pro-Microsoft.

I think most of the actual objective people in the matter are sitting this one out for now, and will do the reasonable thing and wait and see when the devices come out.

It's definitely a new paradigm for phones, but that also means that especially in this case it'll have to be something that you'll have to see if it works for you compared to the old way.

Anyone who is already saying it's amazing or it sucks should probably be ignored, since it's way too early to tell.
    Did you expect anything different from Thurrott? After all he is currently writing a book about Windows Phone. He also liked Vista, so what else can you say?
    On the other hand, Paul Thurrott who wrote the debunking article has been up MS' *** for a while. I do like a lot of the articles he writes, but he's definitely pro-Microsoft.

Anyone who is already saying it's amazing or it sucks should probably be ignored, since it's way too early to tell.
    Thurrot is very pro MS but even he couldn't bring himself to use WM. He has an iPhone.

As for Win Phone sucking, MS has a very poor track record in smart phones, so my money is on it sucking.
    Biggest challenge is that - at least for now - there's no 'wow' feature/benefit. Simply providing better functionality like a more advance version of synergy (eg you can see pictures from all sources in one hub/tile) won't be enough because these are difficult to advertise and get regular people excited about. That's the challenge Palm had with synergy and multitasking.

But I agree it's too soon to predict how this will play out.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Did you expect anything different from Thurrott? After all he is currently writing a book about Windows Phone. He also liked Vista, so what else can you say?
    In any case, he has spent considerably more time with WP7 than this guy who sat at a conference for an hour. Ok, he supports Microsoft products. But he's pretty rational and critical of them.

This former MacWorld editor clearly had his mind made up before the conference even started. The saddest part is everybody linking this article and upping it on Google. That's how journalism on the internet works I guess. BGR had the same thing with their negative Palm Pre review..

I don't think it's fair, to be honest. If you read into WP7, the development, the team, the UI, you can see they're really trying.

They've got a unique interface, unlike the icons on every other platform nowadays. They've integrated smart things like unobtrusive notifications and facebook. And they've got Zune and Xbox.

They finally got rid of all the chrome and focused on what's important: the content. And if everything works out as they plan, WP7 will be a much more seamless experience than hopping in and out of apps on the iphone.

Microsoft doesn't have a following like Apple. And I know people like ripping on them. But these guys really seem to be trying to create something unique here. People sometimes forget there's a team of hard working people behind that Windows logo..

Behind the scenes: Windows Phone 7 | Beyond Binary - CNET News
    Last edited by bruba; 07/18/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    The Kin team were probably trying too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Thurrot is very pro MS but even he couldn't bring himself to use WM. He has an iPhone.

As for Win Phone sucking, MS has a very poor track record in smart phones, so my money is on it sucking.
    Not true about the poor track record. Even with it's clunkiness the old WM was more robust than anything out there and was on many PDAs and phones. It just wasn't super pretty or exactly a lot of fun, but it served me very well as a business OS.

It fell out of favor when the iPhone came along though. And also before that, when RIM finally started acknowledging mainstream wants and needs instead of business only. Also MSFT did not truly add enough new features to WM until 6.5, but by then it was too late to recapture the market it lost.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Ok, he supports Microsoft products. But he's pretty rational and critical of them.
    Did you see where I said he liked Vista?

I'm not sure how anybody can release a new OS right now without copy/paste, multitasking, and the ability to write apps in native code.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Not true about the poor track record. Even with it's clunkiness the old WM was more robust than anything out there and was on many PDAs and phones. It just wasn't super pretty or exactly a lot of fun, but it served me very well as a business OS.

It fell out of favor when the iPhone came along though. And also before that, when RIM finally started acknowledging mainstream wants and needs instead of business only. Also MSFT did not truly add enough new features to WM until 6.5, but by then it was too late to recapture the market it lost.
    WM is awful and always has been. PalmOS would not have survived so long if WM wasn't so bad. My wife just got an HTC WM 6.5 device for her new job. She hates it and wishes her new employer would issue Blackberries.

Then there is the Kin of course.

I'm not sure how anybody can release a new OS right now without copy/paste, multitasking, and the ability to write apps in native code.
    Except for multitasking isn't that what Palm did?
    Did you read the real reasons why Kin failed? It had nothing to do wth the team itself, but the infighting caused by other areas of MSFT and obstacles placed in their path.

The Kin team were probably trying too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WM is awful and always has been. PalmOS would not have survived so long if WM wasn't so bad. My wife just got an HTC WM 6.5 device for her new job. She hates it and wishes her new employer would issue Blackberries.

Then there is the Kin of course.
    Matter of opinion. I thought it was the best OS for business use. I got more work done with that OS.

For entertainment, true it failed. For not seeing the trend that people wanted both fun and business on the same device, true MSFT failed.

This I agree with. I don't know where MSFT's head is. Especially since it's old OS supported copy/paste and multitasking.

Matter of opinion. I thought it was the best OS for business use. I got more work done with that OS.

For entertainment, true it failed. For not seeing the trend that people wanted both fun and business on the same device, true MSFT failed.
    My wife uses her WM device for business. She thinks a Blackberry is a much better device for business. I have to agree and I am very happy my employer seems to agree (based on their BB only policy).

The biggest problem with WM IMHO is the confused and messy UI. HTC Sense only makes it worse.
    He also liked Vista, so what else can you say?
    I liked Vista too.
    My wife uses her WM device for business. She thinks a Blackberry is a much better device for business. I have to agree and I am very happy my employer seems to agree (based on their BB only policy).

The biggest problem with WM IMHO is the confused and messy UI. HTC Sense only makes it worse.
    If you use Windows, it's not that confusing, except in certain areas. It's true they buried some stuff, which made it hard to remember where it was. That p....ed me off a bit.

But Office, threaded messaging, templates, draft save, built-in calender, tasks. etc. I needed all of that and WM delivered.

I liked Vista too.
    Vista eats memory, which is it's worse drawback. It also messes up permissions, even for Admins. It also backs up a bit too much, so I have to clear out some of those back ups. Other than those things, I've not had too many problems with it. It just got a bad rep and could never shake it. But IMO, it's way better than ME, the other bad rep Windows version. That one was a pure waste of an upgrade.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/windows-phone-7-in-depth-preview/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/windows-phone-7-in-depth-preview/
    I dunno...after reading that, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would buy into WP7 over Android or iOS.
    I liked Vista too.
    That makes two of you.
    Gadget Lab - Widescreen

The wired review is not half bad.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast