Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ChangeWave, a leading market research group just released their quarterly survey for smartphone adoption and customer satisfaction. You can probably guess the results. In case you can't here are a couple of snippets as reported by Macworld:

Those customers who were planning on buying a smartphone in the next 90 days overwhelmingly chose phones from Apple, who topped the list of manufacturers with 52 percent, up from 31 percent in the previous survey. HTC followed with 19 percent, a jump from 12 percent last quarter, while Motorola, Palm, and RIM all suffered significant drops. RIM, in particular, went from 14 percent of planned purchases to just 9 percent.

And...

Itís also little surprise that Apple continues to hold the highest satisfaction ratings of any smartphone manufacturer, with 73 percent of iPhone owners rating themselves as very satisfied. HTC followed with 39 percent, and Motorola and Palm were tied with 34 percent. RIM registered a record low of 30 percent, its seventh consecutive quarter of decline in satisfaction.

You can read the complete article here.

When it is all said and done, after all the "Droid Does" this and "You're holding it wrong!" that, after all the reviewers and joke makers and link baiters have had their say, the lines for new iPhones just get longer, and the people who own them are extremely happy with them.

Yes, this survey was done before the recent brouhaha bout the antenna. But you are sadly mistaken if you believe that any significant number of people will be deterred because the iPhone get poor reception on AT&T in marginal signal areas. Everybody knows that. The joke about the iPhone from the very first model was that it was the best phone in the industry with the one little problem that it couldn't make calls. Good luck building a campaign on that.

There is a reason the iPhone has what is likely the most dropped calls in the industry, and it is not just that AT&T sucks. It is because there are a lot of people using iPhones who probably shouldn't be. They know they get horrible AT&T coverage where they are, but they use AT&T anyway because they want the iPhone. With other carriers, people who do not get adequate Sprint, Verizon, or T-Mobile coverage don't use those carriers. But people will leap past better coverage on a different network for the express purpose of getting an iPhone. Lord knows my house is an AT&T dead-zone. But I would rather have an iPhone that drops calls in my house than anything else with great reception. I am by no means, alone.

Rather than trying to find ways to poke fun at the iPhone, Palm users would be better served trying to understand why so many people love the iPhone, want an iPhone, and are very satisfied with it once they get one. Android is in second place, but it is such a distant second, it should be a different category. Palm is in last place in desirability and in customer satisfaction. Until people around here figure that out, they should probably be less obsessed with iPhone flaws.
    haha, do you really think, people with iphones even use their brains at al, the iphone is only good for people who want to showoff the latest gadget same as all apple products if they are good or not, it a status symbol.

do you know 93% of MS. Windows users are happy, does that mean it's good? NO it means they don't know better.
    oh and I should add, the iphone had a much higher satisfaction rate before it had copy/paste and an app store, what does that say?
    All those manufactures already came out with new phones.....with the exception of Palm which is still sitting on a stale version. I don't believe the comparison is fair just my $.02
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    haha, do you really think, people with iphones even use their brains at al,
    Sure... That must be it. Only people who don't use iPhones use their brains. This explains a lot about the state Palm finds themselves in. You just go on thinking that.
    99% of new car purchasers will look for 2011 models instead on 2010....

That's just crazy talk.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    All those manufactures already came out with new phones.....with the exception of Palm which is still sitting on a stale version. I don't believe the comparison is fair just my $.02
    I disagree. The best of the non-iPhone group has half the satisfaction score of the iPhone. Also, more people who don't already have a smartphone want an iPhone by a large margin. Yes, Palm is at the bottom of that group. But even if they were at the top of that group, they would still be way behind the iPhone with poor numbers like Android. Palm has the same problem everyone else has, only worse. They don't just need a new phone. They need something that will build loyalty and repeat business. I think it is telling that 39% is the highest satisfaction rating next to the iPhone. That tells me that no one has a particularly loyal base. Understanding why Apple has such a loyal base is key to all the competition, not just Palm. So far, no one has figured that out.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    99% of new car purchasers will look for 2011 models instead on 2010....

That's just crazy talk.
    At the risk of thread-jacking my own thread, how did you do that "please wait..." thing in your sig? That is awesome.

Back on topic...

That may explain why new people are not interested in Palm at the moment, but it does not address the satisfaction rating of current Palm users.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I disagree. The best of the non-iPhone group has half the satisfaction score of the iPhone. Also, more people who don't already have a smartphone want an iPhone by a large margin. Yes, Palm is at the bottom of that group. But even if they were at the top of that group, they would still be way behind the iPhone with poor numbers like Android. Palm has the same problem everyone else has, only worse. They don't just need a new phone. They need something that will build loyalty and repeat business. I think it is telling that 39% is the highest satisfaction rating next to the iPhone. That tells me that no one has a particularly loyal base. Understanding why Apple has such a loyal base is key to all the competition, not just Palm. So far, no one has figured that out.
    Well that goes back to what i posted before about HP needing to "out-apple" apple. The android approach is death by monkeys. I don't think many android users are particularly loyal to say HTC or Moto with 50 different brands. And here comes Samsung with Galaxy S and 4 different handset with as many different names.
    I will point out... this survey doesnt take the iphone 4 into account... poll dates were from June 14 to June 24... the iphone 4 was released june 24.

There are other things to be mindful of as well... for instance, the pre is the only generation 1 phone in the list, generation 1 in regards to both software and hardware (although admittedly the pre+ could be counted as a 1.5 redux)

Also... how long has it been since you saw good compelling or even frequent palm advertisement? The mindless masses are gonna believe the things they see more often and hear about more often are going to be what they want... basic human nature.

Do you want to know why apples loyalty base is so strong? Take a look at WHO is loyal... regular *******s. The vast majority are just regular joe schmo *******s. People who dont need a smartphone... so they can live with having a "dumb" smartphone. The iPhone keys into pop culture people... the mindless masses. Android and Blackberry and Pre all key into user bases that are little more tech savvy for the most part... blackberry is by and large support by business types... android with all its options and widgets and stuff keys into techies who like tweaking stuff... and pre, well pre has a user interface the world hasnt found out about yet that COULD appeal to the mindless masses but they havent heard about it yet. It ALSO has the open base for all us techie geeks, and with a little more integration it could blow blackberries right off the business types too. If thats gonna happen it needs better hardware and better/more advertising/word of mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Good points. But I would submit that Palm probably has the second most loyal user base after Apple... if (and it's a BIG if) you control for the crappy hardware problems.

If they can get their stuff together, I have no doubt that they can build a larger base. They already have an incredibly loyal one. And the fact that so many people suffer from techno-lust, "if you build it (hardware-wise) they will come". Makes it easier to get those people back.

The hardcore devotees will likely never move. so there are portions of the market which are just un-reachable no matter what Palm produces.

(Even the best baseball team will lose 1/3 of it's games, even the crappiest will win 1/3 of it's games... same with smartphones)

Just my 2 cents...

C

C
    I wish I had been asked to take part in the survey. I would have have voted for the palm pre. Yes, the one that I have is one year old and which I still believe to be the best smart phone currently on the market. And just wait till the new Hpalm comes out...watch out.
    Why do people post this stuff as if its a big surprise. Apple is the most popular, no one is doubting that. 90% or more of people that own an iphone are exactly like the person found in this movie . They are the kind of people that would refer to mac as a company and not realize its just a line of products within said company. Nothing against those types of people, I am the same way with different non-tech related stuff I buy. The masses decide what products are successful, not which products are the best.
    @dandbj13 can you explain why you would come to a Palm loyalist forum and post this? Did you expect us all to all of sudden change our minds and buy an iphone?

I think its been said many times through out this forum that popularity does not equate superiority. I think many of us (including Steve Jobs) learned this the hard way in high school.

Ask yourself this, if the iphone is the best phone out why does they constantly update their product to include features in other less worthy phones? Palm announced at CES it would have cut and paste (Apple followed by adding it to 3GS). Palm and Android made a big splash about multitasking and Apple followed suit with a version of their own. The EVO came with a regular camera and front facing video camera for video chat and Apple once again added it after the fact.

I think the only thing that iPhone ******* prove is that they are for the most part followers. They havent ever researched what the others offer. I cant tell you how many times I have pointed out limitations in the iPhone and had the ******* tell me that it wasnt needed, only to have Apple add it in the latest software update.

I feel sad for you but good luck with your locked down phone while the rest of us are using cutting edge technology from companies willing to push the envelope of ingenuity to the edge.
    Id like to thank you for posting this, becuase, it brings to light some issues that many of us here, and in other forums, werent aware of.

The iPhone user satisfaction is very high.. while th Pre is at 34%.. pretty much with the other phones that compete with the iPhone, and this is, I believe, extremely important and relevant.

Basically, user satisfaction is measure of "did what you buy meet what you expected?" Quite simple.

While the iPhone was NOT the first smartphone (the Treo was, actually), it was the first to make a large screen capacitive touch interface that eliminated the necessity of the stylus. In a nutshell, it was a simplified design AND a much more elegant device than had ever been designed as a smartphone device before... and, inasmuch, there was no predecessor to it for users to try and compare it to... it synched to their ipod, palyed music and movies, and looked cool, and it was a phone, too!

If it succeeded, it HAD to have a high satisaction rating.. however, anything that came after it, had to be compared to it, as it was the baseline, now.

So, if you really wanted an iPhone, but you bought a Pre, or a Blackberry, then you had to be disapoointed because they are different devices, with different OS's and hardware features, and different concepts of how to make the user experience a good one.. it is NOT an iPhone, and those who bought anything other than an iPhone were likely already disappointed at the onset, before they even looked at their device. Note the similarity of user satisfaction ratings amongs the other devices...

Now, here is another point: many of the Pre users who WERE happy with the WEbOS experience were likely disappointed with the hardware quality, deisgn and build.. the 600mhz processor undercolcked to 500 mhz made it slow compared to other non-multitasking OS's - the keyboard was flimsy, and the slider had that oreo-cookie issue - these likely turned off many of THOSE users, as well, and they were disappointed, but, just how many of them knew that you could speed up the CPU by 80% (500 incease to 800mhz), or that you could rid yourself of the oreo-cookie effect with that GRT case?

Not many, I can assure you, and I will opine that WebOs is so unique an OS that if it did have the speed and better hardware at its onset, it, too, would have had a much higher satisfactory rating, because, it does make the experience so much simpler and intuitive, that it does 1-up the iPhone, and it wouldnt be compared to it, but, rather, an experience all its own.

I can tell you that MY user satsifaction is excellent.. Im overclocked and have that GRT case, and 1350 battery, and my Pre+ is a terrific phone! I wouldnt trade it for anything, except, maybe the next WebOS smartphone, if its good enough. Seriously.

Lets wait for the next WebOS smartphone and see how it pans out... it should be very interesting to see the user satisfaction ratings, then.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

" I cant tell you how many times I have pointed out limitations in the iPhone and had the ******* tell me that it wasnt needed, only to have Apple add it in the latest software update. "

Well, the fact is, until you have it, some of that stuff ISN"T needed. None of this, nor a smartphone, is needed; its just nice to have. I think a better phrase for it is that none of it is a differentiator. Its all nice but doesn't determine whether you buy a particular phone or not.

I think that carrier has a huge influence on this. As much grief as AT&T gets, its still very widespread, reliable, and faster than most of the other carriers-- for most people -- and THAT makes the first decision for many people. Verizon has a good claim on the title, but that is recent, and its only been very recently they've had a smart phone that competes with the iPhone.

"Blackberry .....key[s] into user bases that are little more tech savvy for the most part..."

You've got to be kidding me. Blackberry? Pre I get, because you really have to like to tinker with your phone. But I don't know many Blackberry users at all that I'd describe as tech savvy.
    Last edited by finngirl; 07/14/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    @LCGuy

You are so farrrrr from the truth. HP is gunna read this thread and decide to pack up camp and go home. They can't possibly do any better. I think its time I give in and go set up an account at tipb. I hear theres some android fans over there that could use a good lesson in the benefits of a tightly controlled platform.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    ...the rest of us are using cutting edge technology from companies willing to push the envelope of ingenuity to the edge.
    Wow! Just, wow! Tell me, Mr. cutting edge technology from companies willing to push the envelope of ingenuity to the edge, why are more people like you not satisfied with that very same technology? The article I posted has two parts. The survey measures what people want to buy next, and how satisfied people are with what they have. What it shows is that no one, outside of iPhone users, are particularly satisfied with what they have. That is why I posted it here in the CROSS-PLATFORM forum. Get it? It should make for interesting discussion to knock around ideas about why people are satisfied with the iPhone and not, say, the Pre. Also, to foster some good ideas about what Palm can do to address that. Got it? Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    " I cant tell you how many times I have pointed out limitations in the iPhone and had the ******* tell me that it wasnt needed, only to have Apple add it in the latest software update. "

Well, the fact is, until you have it, some of that stuff ISN"T needed. None of this, nor a smartphone, is needed; its just nice to have. I think a better phrase for it is that none of it is a differentiator. Its all nice but doesn't determine whether you buy a particular phone or not.

I think that carrier has a huge influence on this. As much grief as AT&T gets, its still very widespread, reliable, and faster than most of the other carriers-- for most people -- and THAT makes the first decision for many people. Verizon has a good claim on the title, but that is recent, and its only been very recently they've had a smart phone that competes with the iPhone.

"Blackberry .....key[s] into user bases that are little more tech savvy for the most part..."

You've got to be kidding me. Blackberry?
    @dandbj13 I think this also answers your questions. You didn't posit any solutions to the probelm. Only seemed to want to gloat about a survey win.

I'm not suggesting any of this is needed. We don't even need a cell phone. We got along without them for all of the 80s and most of the 90s.

My point is that when it comes to iPhone ******* they take the position that if Apple doesn't do it there is no reason to have it. Then when they get it they act is if Apple invented it. This type of mentality seems to only persist with people who adopt that platform so I can see why they would never be dissatisfied with their phones. The rest of us are thinkers so we can find faults and flaws in any of the other devices and live with it. We expect these platforms to grow so we voice our disapproval when a feature is missing. That was my point.
    I think the iPhone is a fantastic device. It's consistently pushed the concept of "pocket internet" into mainstream which is a good thing. It requires little knowledge to use and be productive, and it consistently has top notch hardware to back up it's user friendly and familiar interface.

I like the Pre a lot but it's brilliant OS can only go so far to compensate for it's aging hardware. The Pre was pretty dated even when it first launched. Aside from the appearance and the touchstone, much lesser phones were coming out with vastly superior hardware features.

For example: my sister just got a Pre + on AT&T for $274 and she loves using it, but after using the camera and seeing one of her friends use Shazam, she plans to return it and get an iPhone 3GS for $99.

Further proof that each day that HPalm doesn't put out new hardware, WebOS loses ground
    --------------------------------
    Love hate since launch day.
    apparently the took the entire survey at a convention for left handed people?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast