Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    All those manufactures already came out with new phones.....with the exception of Palm which is still sitting on a stale version. I don't believe the comparison is fair just my $.02
    Agreed. Granted they should have had something out already, but we must realize they just got bought out and need time to develop something new. But I must admit Im running out of patience and might move on. I love webOS, but I hate the hardware my phone uses with a passion. The screen size/resolution, 2005 internals, cheap plastic, and small keyboard are starting to make me look elsewhere.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBro132 View Post
    Haha, Palm...bottom of the heap.
    Thanks for the intelligent post. It really adds to the discussion
    I don't kow how Palm has so many defenders, the hardware on the Pre is junk. Webos is nice though, but honestly it is dead imo, or it missed its chance
    I posted this in the other thread that brought these surveys up.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I agree with your point. What I wonder about (with regards to Android) is how many people in the general public would answer HTC, Motorola, LG or w/e.

For example, how many people understand that there are different "Droid" phones made by both HTC (Incredible) and Motorola (Droid/Droid X). Palm's brand is similar to Apple in that they represent both the hardware and software as one "brand". That makes things much easier for the average consumer to identify with (and respond to).

I know 4 out of 5 people I know (friends, family, coworkers, etc) probably would be unsure of which phones relate to HTC/Motorola and might even answer Apple (Iphone) because they easily recognize it.

That is what would scare the hell out of me if I was Palm.
    I still think this brand recognition issue helps the Iphone (and should Palm) and hurts the various Android/WM flavors with regards to the general consumer recognizing and identifying with a particular brand..
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I agree 100 %. This is exactly how i feel about HP Palm Potential... and Apple's need for competition. The next webOS phone does not need to be an "iphone killer", .....it needs to be an awesome webOS phone.
    Agreed. Palm and HP need to realize that everyone and their brother want the specs and setups the droid phones have. Those who want an apple style phone will get an iphone and not something else. Competing with apple is one thing, but making an iphone replacement is a poor choice due to the fan boys. None of them are going to drop their beloved apple for anything else, let alone a palm. WedOS is great and let it compete with the iphone on the smartphone market and not the iphone market. Once they put webOS on current hardware in a similar package as android phones have and market it people will start looking at palm again.
    Last edited by liquidxit2; 07/15/2010 at 01:19 PM.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    I don't kow how Palm has so many defenders, the hardware on the Pre is junk. Webos is nice though, but honestly it is dead imo, or it missed its chance
    When a company has served you well for the past 14 or so years you have a sense of caring for it. Palm has never let me down, not once. Sure the hardware is pretty poor quality, but webOS is FAR from dead. If I had a time machine I would send you back to 2007 then 2008 then early 2009 and have you ask this: "What do you think about droid/android?". The early 2009 crowd may know what youre talking about but the rest wouldnt have a clue as to what you were talking about. Is droid dead? No, it is alive and well. That is where palm is right now with webOS. The first year was rough, but so were the first 2 for android platforms. You cannot expect a paltform to pop on the market and dominate, it has never happened nor will it ever happen. Too many critics, diehards, and fan boys for it to be possible.
    I hope you are right but I don't think so. I personally think Win Mo 7, Android and obviously iphone will all be better options and have better support. I don't have an emotional attachment so I don't care, but it would be nice to see webos thrive, but the realist in me just doesn't see it happening.[/personal opinion]
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    I hope you are right but I don't think so. I personally think Win Mo 7, Android and obviously iphone will all be better options and have better support. I don't have an emotional attachment so I don't care, but it would be nice to see webos thrive, but the realist in me just doesn't see it happening.[/personal opinion]
    Honestly after playing with the new iOS, many many droid iterations and then my pre I always get the same feeling: webos>all other OS's and palm pre hardware< all others. Its a mixed bag for me. The card system alone makes multitasking ALOT better then the competition, and lets be frank multitasking is common now on phones. My pre is constantly running many apps and to think about managing them on other platforms makes me a little uneasy. Only time will tell, but now with a new infusion of support (HP) I have a strong feeling that palm will return to its former glory.
    Everyone keeps saying webOS > than all other OS's...

But is it really? Sure it has an elegance in simplicity for it's UI/navigation and multitasking design... few will argue with that...

But staying on a OS level... webOS is lacking significantly with regards to a rich feature set and applications (when compared to iOS, Android and WM).

And please remember... 90%+ of the general consumer base will never know about Precentral, Preware or webOS internals.
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidxit2 View Post
    When a company has served you well for the past 14 or so years you have a sense of caring for it. Palm has never let me down, not once.
    The company called Palm no longer exists and WebOS is as much Apple as it is Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Everyone keeps saying webOS > than all other OS's...

But is it really? Sure it has an elegance in simplicity for it's UI/navigation and multitasking design... few will argue with that...

But staying on a OS level... webOS is lacking significantly with regards to a rich feature set and applications (when compared to iOS, Android and WM).

And please remember... 90%+ of the general consumer base will never know about Precentral, Preware or webOS internals.
    OS claims are completely opinionated. When I say its better thats because IMHO I think it is. Now if I claimed you were wrong in saying it wasnt then we would have an issue (as well as I would consider myself an ***** at that point). But then again it all comes down to personal opinions

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The company called Palm no longer exists and WebOS is as much Apple as it is Palm.
    The company that I knew 14 years ago is looooong gone. The palm that we knew a year ago is gone as well. As for webOS being as much apple as it is palm I disagree. Its palms way to answer the iphone, but nothing like the iphon in functionality. There are similarities in the UI to an iphone, but then again the same can be said for droid and other phone OS's. A menu bar and icons in a pull up menu does not constitute being apple.
  12.    #52  
    The data is in. We know exactly how satisfied new iPhone 4 customers are. According to SJ, the return rate for the "death-gripped" iPhone 4 is less than a third that of the 3GS. In other words, people are even more satisfied with the iPhone 4 than ever. So much for thinking the numbers would go down.

As for the number of people who want iPhones, try 3 million sold in three weeks. The only thing constraining sales is supply. After all the bad press, strident bloggers, Apple hater commenters on fan sites, jokes from comedians, full-page ads from competitors, after all that, the lines for these things grow longer and the new owners are more satisfied than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidxit2 View Post
    The company that I knew 14 years ago is looooong gone. The palm that we knew a year ago is gone as well. As for webOS being as much apple as it is palm I disagree. Its palms way to answer the iphone, but nothing like the iphon in functionality. There are similarities in the UI to an iphone, but then again the same can be said for droid and other phone OS's. A menu bar and icons in a pull up menu does not constitute being apple.
    The people that are most responsible for WebOS and the Pre came mostly from Apple and they brought many Apple ideas and practices with them. The one Palm tradition that remained was the cheap crappy hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The data is in. We know exactly how satisfied new iPhone 4 customers are. According to SJ, the return rate for the "death-gripped" iPhone 4 is less than a third that of the 3GS. In other words, people are even more satisfied with the iPhone 4 than ever. So much for thinking the numbers would go down.

As for the number of people who want iPhones, try 3 million sold in three weeks. The only thing constraining sales is supply. After all the bad press, strident bloggers, Apple hater commenters on fan sites, jokes from comedians, full-page ads from competitors, after all that, the lines for these things grow longer and the new owners are more satisfied than ever.
    So the iPhone 4 returns are 1/3 pf the 3GS... Are those numbers even comparative? (i.e. 3GS numbers are from the first few weeks after release?)

I am asking... because I didn't see any specifics on the numbers... just the numbers.

Most people would be unlikely to return the phone based on the way this issue has been portrayed (until very recently). Previous to the past few days, Apple had led most to believe that it was either a software issue (which they were fixing) or an issue that all phones are impacted by (in some manner).
  15.    #55  
    The numbers are from the same timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The people that are most responsible for WebOS and the Pre came mostly from Apple and they brought many Apple ideas and practices with them. The one Palm tradition that remained was the cheap crappy hardware.
    Totally incorrect.

WebOS was already a project at Palm when Ruby and his team took over.

They deserve credit for the implementation, execution and delivery of it....everybody who thinks they did a wonderful job of those things raise their hands.

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
  17.    #57  
    Just ran across this interesting article:

There are two very interesting findings that support my own personal experience: One, iPhone users are generally happier with AT&T. Most iPhone users switched from other carriers, so we know exactly what we are missing, and are happy with it. Two, the vast majority of us will buy another iPhone, where the vast majority of Android users will not buy another Android phone. All of the surveys seem to be saying the same things. Once again, companies that cannot figure out why people love their iPhone so much are doomed to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just ran across this interesting article:

There are two very interesting findings that support my own personal experience: One, iPhone users are generally happier with AT&T. Most iPhone users switched from other carriers, so we know exactly what we are missing, and are happy with it. Two, the vast majority of us will buy another iPhone, where the vast majority of Android users will not buy another Android phone. All of the surveys seem to be saying the same things. Once again, companies that cannot figure out why people love their iPhone so much are doomed to fail.
    HERE IS THE PICTURE ON THE LINK ...
    The poster boy for most iphone users...according to cnn
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19.    #59  
    Let's see... Because they found a funny picture to post with the story, that makes the survey invalid, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    HERE IS THE PICTURE ON THE LINK ...
    The poster boy for most iphone users...according to cnn
    Ha ha! That only means there are a few orders of magnitude more people like him with their disposable income than there are people who hang out in these forums trying to console themselves about their Pre purchase. Hmmm...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast