Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Apple has an ally; Electromagnetic engineer says Consumer Reports iPhone 4 study flawed | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

Egan writes, "Bottom line. From what I can see in the reports, Consumer Reports replicated the same uncontrolled, unscientific experiments that many of the blogging sites have done."

Egan also wonders if the issue is even entirely Apple's, supposing that AT&T could share some of the blame for the signal variance and call dropping problems that have since become endless blogging fodder for every technology website reporting on Apple's affairs. "We also don't know if placing a finger on the antenna bridge is detuning the antenna or detuning the receiver itself."

Since this issue has come to light, I have carefully monitored my own 3G reception while using iPhone 4. My conclusions, though completely unscientific, are that while I can replicate the signal bar indicator issue (where the number of bars drops significantly when covering the antenna gap on the lower-left of the device), it does not seem to affect call quality or cause any dropped calls. That would lead me to believe that the indicator problem is a result of a software miscalculation and I fully expect a software fix to silence this issue for good.
    But of course.... this will be dismissed by the Apple haters
    Consumer Reports is generally very unbiased in their evaluations.

Considering they did do controlled experiments with multiple phones, while the author's scientific analysis consists of "it does not seem to affect call quality," I can't say I'm swayed by this bloggers opinions.
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 07/14/2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Um...

Its been a proven fact that holding the device so as to connect the bottom and left side of the external antenne will reduce signal strength and, if it continues, the call will be terminated due to absence of the signal.

An electromagmnet engineer isnt the same as an RF engineer. They are wrolds apart - this one appears to be nothing more than a blind Apple supporter, rather than an objective scientist.

What, on earth, would CV have to gain by performing a flawed test on a device that has so much popularity and mindshare?

sigh...

Its a good device.. Apple needs to fess up and fix it and get off of this drama already.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Dismissed!
    does that make me an apple hater;-)
    Apple fans getting desperate for an excuse?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Do any of you have any real world experience with the iPhone 4?

Not "my sisters best friend's brother has a buddy that has seen it happen" stories.

I have one and quite honestly have not seen a call dropping or real issue at all.
    Yes, I have been able to play around with an iphone4 for a good bit. Two of my friends have it and I see them both quite frequently. It really is an impressive device. It makes my Pre feel like a toy lol...

I can replicate the signal issue on both of their phones though and have been able to make calls drop eventually.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Consumer Reports is generally very unbiased in their evaluations.

Considering they did do controlled experiments with multiple phones, while the author's scientific analysis consists of "it does not seem to affect call quality," I can't say I'm swayed by this bloggers opinions.
    Understood, but he's more than a "blogger"

Bob has more than 30 years of experience in information technology. Before joining TowerGroup, he founded and led Mobile Competency, a boutique market analyst and consulting company focused on enterprise mobile and wireless technologies and solutions. He previously held corporate, product development, and technical leadership positions at Corechange, Gartner, Digital Equipment Corp., Waters Associates, Fenwal Inc and GTE Research Laboratories. As technical director for Emerging Technologies at Digital, he was responsible for some of the pioneering efforts in wireless LANs, data-over-cable TV, and mobile IP. As a vice president with Gartner Group, Bob received the firm's esteemed Thought Leadership Achievement Award. Wireless Review has called Bob Egan the "Market Maker," and Technology Marketing Group named him one of the top six most influential industry analysts.

Bob has written hundreds of articles and reports on the mobile industry, and his comments have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Forbes, Business Week, and Fortune as well as on ABC News, CNBC, BBC TV, and The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour. A graduate of Wentworth Institute and Bryant College, he is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and is a NARTE board-certified electromagnetic engineer. Bob is one of the original authors of the IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN standard underlying Wi-Fi.
    I don't mean this as an insult at all, but why do you feel you need to defend the iPhone on a Palm site? I just wonder if you are possibly waisting your time.

Onto the topic at hand, Consumer Reports had several experiments in a controlled (see laboratory) atmosphere. I would hardly say that it was unscientific, especially when the guy they quote performed a test that is about as scientific as a guy putting a key into a power socket.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Not "my sisters best friend's brother has a buddy that has seen it happen" stories.

I have one and quite honestly have not seen a call dropping or real issue at all.
    again just because you haven't seen the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist... take for example all the real world day one iphone users (pre-order fanboiz and wait in line fanboiz) that posted their vids of of this issue the same day it happened... just because you want to believe the problem doesn't exist doesn't make it all of sudden disappear Dorothy!!
    I'm not aware of anyone getting Consumer Reports to recant. Primarily because CR does good science.
    The EM engineer, Egan, is probably quite convinced he is right (we engineers are that way). So it could be an interesting showdown, if Apple allows this issue to drag on.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

They probably don't. I know I don't. This is a Pre forum, so it would stand to reason that they don't. That's why I don't. Well that and I can't afford an iPhone nor AT&T's outrageous prices, but that's another matter.

I do have a "my sister's best friend's brother has a buddy that has seen it happen" story though. My cousin works in an AT&T store in Delaware. He can't keep the iPhone 4 on the shelf even after this story. When they ask him about the story, he asks them where they live. Since Delaware is tax-free, a lot of his customers come from Philly and DC. Since those are major metro areas, blocking the signal with your hand drops the signal down, but won't affect a call or data for the most part. So if you live in a major metro area, this probably won't bother you much anyhow. He did say though that, much like that Evo vs iPhone 4 cartoon floating around, even if the person didn't live in a metro area with good coverage, that they wanted it anyhow. Go figure...

Yep.

See this post here on PreCentral yesterday, regarding my experience this past sunday.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

real world? no....
    I live in the future....webOS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm sorry but i don't listen to anything consumer reports has to say regardless. example being the blazer/bravada/jimmy, each year it was a best buy, then mid cycle it wasn't, then next year same thing, over and over again.
    anyways, the hardware design is to blame, everyone knows this. everyone who checks the test in low signal will verify this. like the reps at the att store near me, they moved to a new location and only have like 1 bar at the front of the store, none beyond. reminds me of the old days at the sprint stores. anyways they show everyone, if you hold it like this, see see that's the wrong way lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    forgot to mention, there used to be "well respected and not partisan doctors" that said cigarettes were good for you.... no affiliation what so ever with the cigarette companies
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

Yes, my partner has one.

In real life use, it's not an issue.

I also note that in the manual for my phone (HTC Touch HD) it advises:

To assure optimal phone performance and ensure human exposure to RF energy is within the guidelines set forth in the relevant standards, always use your device only in its normal-use position. Contact with the antenna area may impair call quality and cause your device to operate at a higher power level than needed. Avoiding contact with the antenna area when the phone is IN USE optimizes the antenna performance and the battery life.
    Together with a picture indicating not to touch the bottom inch of the phone. I'd never noticed this before, but hey, I can reproduce the iPhone 4 antenna bar drop problem on my HTC, even make it drop HSPA and fail over to GPRS in a few seconds just by holding it cupped in my hand. I'm sure that in an area of poor signal quality (which SW19 is not!) I could probably make it drop a call, but it's never happened in practice, 18 months of ownership.

Just like an iPhone 4.

The difference is there aren't lots of sad little trolls on the internet with nothing better to do than hate HTC.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    The issue seems to be bad enough for Steve Woz to have bought a Pre :-)

The Sheep. Steve Jobs puts on a song and dance... and they all feel warm in their pants... and open their wallets.
    tell me.... is this a flawed design... or is this magic?

the spot

I think its magic. No other phone can replicate it.
    RIM's response to to callout by Apple:

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast