Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear All,

I actually do not have it in for Apple, I just found a series of articles and posted them.

Take care, Jay

PRPRPR $Experts$: $iPhone$ $4$ $Hardware$ $Recall$ $Is$$Inevitable$6:34 pm, July 12th, 2010, Leander Kahney

Apple will be forced to recall the iPhone 4 following Consumer Reports tests proving the “Death Grip” antenna issue is not software related, but a hardware flaw, PRPRPR $experts$ $say$.

“Apple will be forced to do a recall of this product,” said Professor Matthew Seeger, an expert in crisis communication. “It’s critically important. The brand image is the most important thing Apple has. This is potentially devastating.”

Crisis communication experts contacted by CultofMac.com, including Chris Lehane, former Clinton White House ”Master of Disaster,” agree: the iPhone 4 reception issue presents a Toyota-style PRPRPR $crisis$ $for$ $Apple$, $and$ $the$ $company$ $must$ $respond$ $with$ $a$ $more$ $meaningful$ $fix$ $than$ $a$ $software$ $patch$.

Apple acknowledged the issue earlier this month but said the problem was caused by the way the iPhone calculates signal strength. The company has promised to issue a software fix shortly. Many critics viewed Apple’s response as spin, which was compounded on Monday by a devastating report from Consumer Reports saying the reception issue is hardware related.

Toyota has been severely punished for its foot-dragging response to concerns about the safety of the Prius. Toyota recalled about 10 million vehicles worldwide and its reputation has been seriously damaged.

“Apple needs to put this fire out now,” said Dr. Larry Barton, a leading expert in crisis management and author of Crisis Leadership Now. “There has to be a military-like response to this issue. And we have not seen this kind of urgency.”

Dr. Barton said Apple should quickly issue a statement that either strongly refutes Consumer Reports‘ tests; or admit the issue and detail some kind of hardware fix. Saying the iPhone 4 has a problem calculating signal strength doesn’t cut it, Dr. Barton said.

“They’re response has been lackluster,” he said. “It’s been borderline irresponsible. They are in danger of betraying customers’ trust and hurting the brand, which is infinitely more valuable than any one product.”

Consumer Reports is a well-respected publication with a long history of being impartial and fair, Dr. Barton noted. “Their advisory is a serious one.” he said.

Dr. Barton is a former professor at Harvard Business School, Penn State, University of Nevada at Las Vegas and Boston College. He was Vice President of Crisis Management at Motorola from 1995 to 1999.

Crisis communications expert Chris Lehane, the “Master of Disaster,” a nickname earned managing bad PRPRPR $for$ $the$ $Clinton$ $White$ $House$, $said$ $Apple$ $dug$ $itself$ $into$ $a$ $deep$ $hole$ $with$ $its$ $software$ $fix$ $response$, $which$ $was$ $obviously$ $rushed$.

“It’s the ‘half-loaf’ approach,” he said. “Apple was under tremendous pressure to respond. They pushed out some information that wasn’t really baked.”

Lehane said the statement only raised a red flag for organizations like Consumer Reports to take a close look at the issue.

“They found themselves in a hole, and they dug a deeper hole,” he said.

Lehane contrasted this to Apple’s response to the price drop of the original iPhone back in 2007. Faced with a backlash from early adopters, Steve Jobs quickly published an apology on Apple’s website and issued a refund.

“You acknowledge it; you address it; you deal with it,” Lehane said. “Apple must protect its brand image, its crown jewels, at all cost. Apple has enormous consumer loyalty but it depends on whether people believe it’s credible.”

To protect its image, Apple will have to recall the iPhone, said Prof. Seeger, who is chair of the Department of Communication at Wayne State University in Detroit.

Prof. Seeger said Apple will likely delay a recall, and may issue a temporary “patch” such as free bumpers. However, a recall is unavoidable to protect the brand, which is more valuable than the cost of a recall, Prof. Seeger said.

“Apple lives and dies by its reputation,” he said. “We pay a premium for its products. We expect them to operate on a premium level. It’s very unfortunate, but they will have no choice but to mount a recall.”

Apple didn’t respond to requests for comment.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Anyone who wants to return, refund or replace their phone is welcome to do so. I don't doubt there are people who have signal issues, but what is stopping them from doing that?
    They really needed to make the free bumper option available instead of avoiding it. Way cheaper than a recall.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Anyone who wants to return, refund or replace their phone is welcome to do so. I don't doubt there are people who have signal issues, but what is stopping them from doing that?
    Hi,

Good idea.

However, Is the Iphone 4 out less than 30 days? Don't most firms limit you to 30 days to return the phone?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I believe they still have time. June 24th I think was the release date, for the US and a few other countries.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The f-boys will refuse to believe there is really a real problem and that apple screwed up royally.
    I'd probably expect free bumpers or a refund to those who have already bought them and later on, a revised device with a clear non-conductive strip installed at the factory.

The problem here is that apple is not owning up to the antenna issue and keeps BSing the iSheep e.g. we were calculating signal strenght incorrectly all this time (LMAO) etc.....People luv their iphones they just want apple to fix the issue, simple as that. Just give away the $29 bumpers for free.....they have enough dough in the war the cost of "$29" bumper which i bet cost them pennies on a dollar to manufacture them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

Good idea.

However, Is the Iphone 4 out less than 30 days? Don't most firms limit you to 30 days to return the phone?

Take care,

Jay

Not true. First of all, without Apple Care you have 90 days from your purchase for a return/repair. Anyone who bought a phone and in within 90 days doesn't notice (or doesn't bother to return it) really doesn't fall under the return policy. And if you have Apple Care, its 2 years.

Second of all, they have already said that they will honor any refunds or returns for this issue, with no restocking fee.

What the heck more do you want, when a company puts out a product that doesn't perform to expectation?
    I found an interesting article yesterday. Sure ties in with what Jay wrote earlier.

Apple's Arrogance and the iPhone 4 Antenna Debacle - PCWorld

Enjoy reading.
    The window of opportunity, to displace a leading competitor with the release of new hardware, is now open even wider. HPalm requires the swift and thorough software overall/update and a well built handset with advanced specs and elegant form factor to accomplish this market posture. An August or September release would still be able to displace the competition (a potential Apple recall/PRPRPR $exchange$ $program$ $will$ $take$ $2$-$3$ $months$ $to$ $fulfill$, $if$ $not$ $longer$.)
    Not true. First of all, without Apple Care you have 90 days from your purchase for a return/repair. Anyone who bought a phone and in within 90 days doesn't notice (or doesn't bother to return it) really doesn't fall under the return policy. And if you have Apple Care, its 2 years.

Second of all, they have already said that they will honor any refunds or returns for this issue, with no restocking fee.

What the heck more do you want, when a company puts out a product that doesn't perform to expectation?
    Is that 90 days for a straight return, or a return for a repair? I don't ever remember 90 days straight return from Apple, unless they made an exception for the iPhone.

13.    #13  

Hi,

1. I was posing questions, not making statements, I don't own an Iphone and I have no idea how Apple and/or At&T would handle something like this! Thank you for the info!

2. You said "What the heck more do you want?"
    I don't want anything......I am reporting what I read, nothing more. The only reason why I wouldn't own a Iphone is that it doesn't have a keyboard. So please don't bite my head off!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is that 90 days for a straight return, or a return for a repair? I don't ever remember 90 days straight return from Apple, unless they made an exception for the iPhone.

For whatever it needs .

If you are "fed up and not going to take it any more" you can return.

If you want them to make it right, its a repair.

It's silly enough there are umpteen threads from people who don't own an iPhone (not to mention the irony of them being owners of Palm products, the one company that SHOULD know how to get phones right...) complaining about an issue they don't have, but now we are going to imagine scenarios - again, that you won't ever experience - where you might not be recovered in the case of a faulty product?

Please.

(FWIW, I have had occasion over the years to call and use support for HP, Apple, Dell, Toshiba and Microsoft. And anecdotally, while I received great help from Dell, Apple has far and away been the most solicitous, and willing to set things right. My most memorably worst experiences were with MS and HP. I get that not every one has the same set of experiences but for their niche Apple is clearly doing something right to maintain their share in an admittedly premium market, don't you think? And as non-Apple users, your opinions are just that. Opinions.)
    I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I don't own a Pre and am up for renewal on my iPhone contract. I'm just not all up in Apple's ****. Or any corporation, for that matter.

I also never knew you could do a straight return for 90 days on the iPhone(although that means you still have your AT&T contract), but I've bought from Apple before and never known them to have a 90 day straight return for anything.

Although they did give me 2 replacements for my 3G well after 90 days. I'm looking at the 3GS for a year though.

the return period for the carrier s 30 days if you just want to switch back to your old phone and contract. If apple hasn't resolved it by day 29, what would be the benefit of returning it for another iphone?

same with 90 at an apple store. Until they have acknowledged/fixed it -the replacement will have the same issue...
    For whatever it needs .

If you are "fed up and not going to take it any more" you can return.

If you want them to make it right, its a repair.
    Good advice to the user of any product that the consumer has become dissatisfied with.

It's silly enough there are umpteen threads from people who don't own an iPhone (not to mention the irony of them being owners of Palm products, the one company that SHOULD know how to get phones right...) complaining about an issue they don't have, but now we are going to imagine scenarios - again, that you won't ever experience - where you might not be recovered in the case of a faulty product?
    Palm users dont complain about iPhone products not working.. they just observe and comment. They DO complain about PALM products, and, yes, we all criticize Apple and its CEO, and any other company that does things that seem to disregard the market or users.. period.

Regarding "upmteen threads", etc.. well, this is the "other handhelds" forum of the PreCentral web site.. I think anything posted here is fair game, if it has to do with prducts from other manufacturers than PALM/HP - and, sure, people will, and have the right to speculate about them, as well.

Its called "discussion", where people express thier opinions so that they can learn from one another.

Please.

(FWIW, I have had occasion over the years to call and use support for HP, Apple, Dell, Toshiba and Microsoft. And anecdotally, while I received great help from Dell, Apple has far and away been the most solicitous, and willing to set things right. My most memorably worst experiences were with MS and HP. I get that not every one has the same set of experiences but for their niche Apple is clearly doing something right to maintain their share in an admittedly premium market, don't you think? And as non-Apple users, your opinions are just that. Opinions.)
    You know what? I believe you about Apple, but, I know of those whom have NOT been the recipient of such positive support, and, given the recent Apple denials and deliberate ignorance of thier iPhone 4 hardware issues, the Apple "mindshare" may take a huge hit because of it.. remember, users pay a premium for what they percieve to be premium devices.. when you don't recognize that your premiium device isn't quite up to snuff, despite the clear evidence and the overabundance of complaints and criticisms, then, it isnt us expressing our opinions, but, rather those who post here commenting on their obervations.

I take great pride in expressing my opinions, and state that they are such, but, when I post a fact, or an observation I made, that isnt an opinion, and I dont represent it as such.

And THAT is a fact.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I don't own a Pre and am up for renewal on my iPhone contract. I'm just not all up in Apple's ****. Or any corporation, for that matter.

I also never knew you could do a straight return for 90 days on the iPhone(although that means you still have your AT&T contract), but I've bought from Apple before and never known them to have a 90 day straight return for anything.

Although they did give me 2 replacements for my 3G well after 90 days. I'm looking at the 3GS for a year though.

iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Scroll to midway, under "Apple Care Protection Plan."
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Palm users dont complain about iPhone products not working..
    Gots no problems with opinions at all. i am full of them myself.

But surely you jest with this comment!

Cross platform chat topics are all I follow in here...and if you think no one is complaining about iPhones...well. I just don't know how to respond to that!
    Gots no problems with opinions at all. i am full of them myself.

But surely you jest with this comment!

Cross platform chat topics are all I follow in here...and if you think no one is complaining about iPhones...well. I just don't know how to respond to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

Palm users dont complain about iPhone products not working.. they just observe and comment. They DO complain about PALM products, and, yes, we all criticize Apple and its CEO, and any other company that does things that seem to disregard the market or users.. period.
    You can take anything out of context
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast