1.    #1  
    HI all,

FYI,

Take care,

Jay

Apple Shares Slide After Critical iPhone 4 Review
    By REUTERS, Filed at 12:07 p.m. ET, July 13, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Shares of Apple Inc slid more than 3 percent on Tuesday after a poor review for its iPhone 4 from an influential consumer guide underpinned mounting complaints about the hot-selling device's antenna and reception.

Consumer Reports said on Monday it could not recommend the iPhone 4 -- which sold 1.7 million units worldwide in its first three days -- after its tests confirmed concerns about signal loss when the device is held in a certain way.

The widely watched nonprofit organization said AT&T Inc, the exclusive mobile phone carrier for the iPhone 4, was not necessarily the main culprit.

Apple shares dipped below their 50-day moving average price of $256.26, sliding as much as 4.2 percent to $246.43. They later bounced back a tad to stand 2.9 percent lower at about $250, as the Nasdaq gained 1.7 percent.

Apple was not immediately available for comment.

JP Morgan warned that reports of wireless reception problems on the smartphone, which competes with Research in Motion's Blackberry and Palm's Pre, may affect demand.

"Consumer Reports is a well respected product reviewer, and the report should turn up the heat on Apple," analyst Mark Moskowitz said in a client note. "Concerns around iPhone 4 reception do not appear to be impacting demand, but we think there are risks when a well respected product rating agency such as Consumer Reports issues an unfavorable report.

"We continue to expect a fix from Apple, whether the solution is software or hardware-related."

Consumer Reports, which publishes guides on everything from cars to TVs, said in its Monday report that it had also tested other phones -- including the iPhone 3GS and Pre -- and found none had the signal-loss problems of Apple's latest iPhone.

The report was the latest blow to the iPhone 4, which has been plagued by complaints about poor reception. Many of the complaints involve a wraparound antenna whose signal strength is said to be affected if the device is touched in a certain way.

Apple has been sued by iPhone customers in at least three complaints related to antenna problems.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think we get the point. You are not a fan of apple. Is there any way you can combine all the threads you started into one long post instead of filling up the whole "Other Handhelds" forums?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I think we get the point. You are not a fan of apple.
    HI,

actually I have nothing against Apple, I am only reporting what I read or find on line. I think enough of Apple to have just purchased a Ipod Nano 16 gig gen 5 for my g/f. So I truly have noting against Apple!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4.    #4  
    Hi,

Here is another update on the stock pricing, now that the market has closed.

Take care, Jay

Apple Shares Slide as iPhone 4 Concerns Grow
    By REUTERS, Filed at 3:05 p.m. ET, July 13, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

LOS ANGELES/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Shares of Apple Inc slid more than 4 percent on Tuesday after a poor review for its iPhone 4 from an influential consumer guide underpinned mounting complaints about the hot-selling device's reception and spurred speculation about a product recall.

Analysts thought a recall unlikely but said the world's most valuable tech company needs need to move quickly to avert longer-term damage to its widely respected brand, which allows it to charge a premium for products like the iPad and iPod. The stock should recover on Wednesday, some said.

Consumer Reports said on Monday it could not recommend the iPhone 4 -- which sold 1.7 million units worldwide in its first three days -- after its tests confirmed concerns about signal loss when the device is held in a certain way.

That report spurred widespread discussion on Tuesday, including on popular tech site Cnet and multiple blogs, about the possibility of an iPhone 4 recall: an unheard-of event for a company lauded by investors and tech aficionados for its marketing savvy and product quality.

Apple, which has called the iPhone 4's June debut its most successful product launch ever, has not responded to the widely watched nonprofit organization's report or to the recall talk.

The company has said all cellphones suffer some signal loss when cradled in different ways, and suggested that a software glitch might have misled users by overstating signal strength.

Hudson Square Research analyst Daniel Ernst pointed to speculation that Consumer Reports' article might induce a recall. But some spotted a buying opportunity as Apple's stock bounces off Tuesday's low.

"There's nothing to recall. There's people lining up in droves to buy this phone," said Gleacher & Co analyst Brian Marshall. He said he could not replicate the antenna problem on the iPhone 4.

Apple shares dipped below their 50-day moving average price of $256.26, sliding as much as 4.2 percent to $246.43. They pared losses to trade 2 percent lower at $252.19 Tuesday afternoon, as the Nasdaq gained 1.7 percent.

Shares of Research in Motion, which makes the rival Blackberry, climbed 3.4 percent to $55.62. Google Inc, whose Android operating system for smartphones is gaining traction on multiple devices, also rose, by more than 3 percent to $490.35, along with tech stocks overall.

Analysts said Apple needs to take quick action to avert any lasting damage to its reputation for quality products -- an image honed by iconic gadgets such as the iPod and iPad -- though they did not see sales being hurt for now.

"They need to provide an actual fix -- not a bumper fix -- so that the product performs as it should," said Ashok Kumar at Rodman & Renshaw. "Apple should have taken a higher road when addressing the design flaw, instead of taking the hard-line stance that they did."

"This is not a Toyota problem, but it is a problem that Apple needs to address head-on," he said, referring to the Japanese automaker's global recalls of more than 10 million vehicles since late last year.

NEED TO TAKE ACTION

JP Morgan warned that reports of wireless reception problems on the smartphone, which competes with Motorola Inc's Droid and Palm Inc's Pre, may eventually affect demand.

"Consumer Reports is a well-respected product reviewer, and the report should turn up the heat on Apple," analyst Mark Moskowitz said in a client note. "Concerns around iPhone 4 reception do not appear to be impacting demand, but we think there are risks when a well-respected product rating agency such as Consumer Reports issues an unfavorable report.

"We continue to expect a fix from Apple, whether the solution is software- or hardware-related."

Consumer Reports, which publishes guides on everything from cars to TVs, said in its Monday report that it had tested other phones -- including the iPhone 3GS and Pre -- and found none had the signal-loss problems of Apple's latest iPhone.

It added that AT&T Inc, the exclusive mobile phone carrier for the iPhone 4 and whose network is often blamed for reception problems, was not necessarily the main culprit.

The report was the latest blow to the iPhone 4, which has been plagued by complaints about poor reception. Many of the complaints involve a wraparound antenna whose signal strength is said to be affected if the device is touched in a certain way.

Apple has been sued by iPhone customers in at least three complaints related to antenna problems.

Heavy options trading activity on Tuesday ahead of Friday's July contract expiration suggested investors were bracing for possible Apple news before the weekend, analysts say.

"Apple shares are down on concerns about a possible defect with the new iPhone 4. Worries that iPhone 4 might be a lemon are weighing on their shares," said Frederic Ruffy, options strategists at Web information site WhatsTrading.com.

(Reporting by Carolina Madrid in Los Angeles and Gabriel Madway in San Francisco; Additional reporting by Doris Frankel in Chicago; Writing by Edwin Chan; Editing by Matthew Lewis, Richard Chang and John Wallace)
    yeah it the problem is it only fell 2% to where it was on like friday. Not to mention it's at 252 today. It was at 135 a year ago. not to mention the chance of it not making a ridiculously massive profit next quarter is slim to none considering they new iphone and most ipad numbers have yet to be factored in. Plus people are buying the iphone reception issues and all.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    yeah it the problem is it only fell 2% to where it was on like friday. Not to mention it's at 252 today. It was at 135 a year ago. not to mention the chance of it not making a ridiculously massive profit next quarter is slim to none considering they new iphone and most ipad numbers have yet to be factored in. Plus people are buying the iphone reception issues and all.
    Hi,

I wonder how this will impact Apple stock, in the long run. Apple needs to get ahead of this, before it takes on a life of it's own.

Besides, Jobs must be going nuts, trying to hammer out the dents to his and Apple's integrity!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

I wonder how this will impact Apple stock, in the long run. Apple needs to get ahead of this, before it takes on a life of it's own.

Besides, Jobs must be going nuts, trying to hammer out the dents to his and Apple's integrity!

Take care,

Jay
    i doubt much at all unless there is a recall. And even then they have almost 42 billion dollars in cash doing nothing but earning interest. They can easily cover a recall without a big hit but i don't expect a recall. If there was. i'd expect a brief pull back in the stock, but i've little doubt this stock will get near 300 in the next year cause it's gonna have a good quarter. And the momentum is positive because its only released the iphone 4 in i think 5 or 6 countries. They still have tons of countries yet to get the phone so thru the year they should continue to have sound profits. Then, according to rumors, verizon iphone at the beginning of 2011, would mean more new customers. I'd expect any hit to the share price to be short term and with a lot of people looking to buy not bail at that point. And so far today, Apple has gained back half of the 2% it lost yesterday.
  8.    #8  
    i doubt much at all unless there is a recall. And even then they have almost 42 billion dollars in cash doing nothing but earning interest. They can easily cover a recall without a big hit but i don't expect a recall. If there was. i'd expect a brief pull back in the stock, but i've little doubt this stock will get near 300 in the next year cause it's gonna have a good quarter. And the momentum is positive because its only released the iphone 4 in i think 5 or 6 countries. They still have tons of countries yet to get the phone so thru the year they should continue to have sound profits. Then, according to rumors, verizon iphone at the beginning of 2011, would mean more new customers. I'd expect any hit to the share price to be short term and with a lot of people looking to buy not bail at that point. And so far today, Apple has gained back half of the 2% it lost yesterday.
    Hi,

Apple has cache, it is chic to have an Iphone, but things change. If Jobs doesn't handle this correctly, it can be a very big problem.... right now it looks as if, he is not being straight with his customers. Even if he actually is being straight with his customers, the perception is that he is not being truthful....the public is fickle, so that means he has to be honest and nip this in the bud...right now, it seems as if he isn't being/doing either of those, (being honest and nipping it in the bud)...

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

Apple has cache, it is chic to have an Iphone, but things change. If Jobs doesn't handle this correctly, it can be a very big problem.... right now it looks as if, he is not being straight with his customers.
    i went to the apple store the other week. i could not get it to lose a signal. A friend had an iphone 4 on the 4th of july where observed no issues when she was making calls. So i haven't seen the problem and i have my reservations about how widespread the problem is. Clearly everyone does not have the problem.

as for having "a very big problem". I don't think so. and here's why. I don't think the overwhelming majority of people want to give back their iphone. Listen to the most recent iphone podcast. they asks a one of the hosts if he wanted to return it and he literally laughed in the face of the question as though the mere idea of returning it cause of the antenna issue was absurd. That's what most iphone users think. They don't want another phone. They just want an iphone to work.

people highlight the share price but i own apple. i track apple. the 2% it fell yesterday happens all the time. It's fallen 8% in the last two weeks and nobody mentioned that. Why? cause so did the rest of the market as well. But what moves stocks is earnings and Apple with have them even with a full recall.

here's an article about the potential cost of a recall.
    News Headlines

1) JP Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz said yesterday that the cost of providing refurbished iPhones would be roughly $300 million ($150 per phone x 5 million phones sold), which would be a hit of about $0.38 to earnings.

2) RBC Capital analyst Mike Abramksky today estimates an outright recall with new phones would cost $900 million or up to $0.71 a share. That is a fraction of AAPL's [AAPL 253.40 1.602 (+0.64%) ] $42 billion in cash.

more likely, scenarios: The cost of providing a simple case for free would be about $15 per customer ($45 million)

So you're talking about a range of $900 million worst case and $45 million on the low end. Not to mention they don't mention the chance of just giving everyone 50 cent bumpers which would be much cheaper then $45 million.
    either way i'd suspect that they can swallow that and still have a decent quarter. Plus post recall the problem would be done. And any hit to earnings this quarter would not likely end sales in the rest of the world post fixing the issue. So again you'd expect continued good earnings as they expand in europe, s. america, and asia.

And they have yet to launch in China. Apple is a well run company with explosive growth and consistent earnings, and pretty predictable future earnings. And their products are selling well. Not to mention they have a diverse market or revenue; desktops, laptops, ipods, phones, ipads, accessories, itunes store selling music, books and movies, and apps. Apple will do just fine.

just to give some perspective:

Investors shouldn't be too concerned, however. Abramsky said cash-rich Apple "can easily afford it." Apple shares were down 1.49%, to $248.05, in pre-market trading Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu also said the iPhone 4 antenna debacle could impact Apple's earnings. "Should this antenna issue become a bigger deal, there could be a risk to our as well as consensus estimates," Wu said in his own note. Apple is scheduled to report third quarter earnings on July 20. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, on average, expect the company to post earnings per share of $3.07, on revenue of $14.6 billion. http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories
    point is it's unlikely investors will "be too concerned" because when you're revenue is $14 billion, taking a one time $900 million hit isn't the biggest problem.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 07/14/2010 at 02:45 PM.
    The problem is not widespread, but even at 5 percent of devices, this could turn into a large issue.

A lot of Palm Pre's had an oreo issue, but mine does not and has not. Just because my observation is that the oreo affect isn't real, doesn't make it unreal for others.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    the stock will be fine -- their profits will be fine

I fully expect at some point sanity will prevail and they will offer for FREE to anyone that wants it -- a set of rubbers.

They will then (pending FCC approval ??) start to make the iPhon4a -- which will have a clear insulating non-conductive lacquer coat over the metal antenna bands
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The problem is not widespread, but even at 5 percent of devices, this could turn into a large issue.

A lot of Palm Pre's had an oreo issue, but mine does not and has not. Just because my observation is that the oreo affect isn't real, doesn't make it unreal for others.
    yeah agreed. i still have my original sprint pre. though the usb door broke off but yeah i think it's a problem, a p.r. issue, but big picture it's not massive unless they had to stop selling phones altogether. but i bought my pre after launch even though i knew there was an oreo issue and i think people that want an iphone won't care much. there's supposedly a press conference on friday. http://www.tipb.com/2010/07/14/apple...erence-friday/
    still not selling my aapl
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    still not selling my aapl
    hell i'm looking to buy more at the right price.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    hell i'm looking to buy more at the right price.
    I was hoping for a serious dip. I'm still holding a small number of shares in my SEP/401 account with a buy price of right around $25. Hindsight my friend would have served me much better. (but I'm not complaining)
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    I was hoping for a serious dip. I'm still holding a small number of shares in my SEP/401 account with a buy price of right around $25. Hindsight my friend would have served me much better. (but I'm not complaining)
    well hell, $25 bucks is a phenominal return. But yeah it ain't dipping anywhere near that. i mean hell if it got to 235 i'd consider that serious drop. Hell i've been trading into and out of it at higher levels just to grab 12% here and there. That said lots of people are happy with that in a year and i've gotten it a couple times over.