Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://threatcenter.smobilesystems.com/?p=1887

"one in every five applications request permissions to access private or sensitive information that an attacker could use for malicious purposes."
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/13/2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Made URL active
    That's the same BS story from before!! Come on, they tell you up front what they're going to access. And some of those things they must access or you can't use the app properly.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    http://threatcenter.smobilesystems.com/?p=1887
    not sure if it is BS or not, but it all comes down to trust and if you don't trust them...then don't buy a Smartphone. Oh, I forgot, even flip phones can get hacked and data stolen from them.

This was coming and either way, thanks for the link which I'll use in my Security class next week. Sorli...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's the same BS story from before!! Come on, they tell you up front what they're going to access. And some of those things they must access or you can't use the app properly.
    I wasn't aware it was old bologny news.
    It caught my I, and I decided to share.
    It did make me think about where I get my apps though. - make sure they're a trusted source.
    I wasn't aware it was old bologny news.
    It caught my I, and I decided to share.
    It did make me think about where I get my apps though. - make sure they're a trusted source.
    http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...esson-day.html

I wouldn't worry too much. Google tells us what the apps has access too. If I am looking for a wallpaper app and I see it has access to services that cost money to call numbers, send SMS messages... that right there would raise a red flag to me. No wallpaper app should have access to that. Just look for warning signs and if an app has something you think it shouldn't access to, don't download it.
    This goes is for ALL Platforms with APPS. even WEBOS and Iphone. This report as you read the bottom is Android specific. this is known to exist whithin all app catalogs. To say Im glad I didnt get an Android is not a proper title as Iphone and WEBOS apps can do the same thing. they never do any reports on WEBOS . too small a market and not enough of a APP catalog or user as of now i guess. But there are some reports by others for WEBOS , will find one.
    Example here is a recent article of the security risk of WEB OS sms. Not going to say Glad I got rid of my PRE ( i didnt)

WebOS: Examples of SMS delivered injection flaws – Intrepidus Group - Insight

When a customer shipped us our first PRE devices to test their application, we spent spare cycles exploring the rest of WebOS. Our initial impressions were quite positive. There was just so much to love: Linux underneath, the platform’s open nature, the user interface, and the hardware. There was just so much to love. However, the honeymoon ended abruptly once we started to explore WebOS’s security posture.
    As we started to pry a little it became quite apparent that Palm’s new WebOS platform was riddled with some pretty dangerous bugs. These bugs can all be traced back to that fact that WebOS is essentially a web browser and the applications are written in JavaScript and HTML. This also means that WebOS applications are subject to the numerous web applications vulnerabilities that any seasoned penetration tester would be all too familiar with. We were also quite surprised at how quickly these vulnerabilities were discovered. Within a matter of hours we started to uncover a number of low-hanging-fruit vulnerabilities that would be considered quite dangerous under even the most forgiving of standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Example here is a recent article of the security risk of WEB OS sms. Not going to say Glad I got rid of my PRE ( i didnt)

WebOS: Examples of SMS delivered injection flaws – Intrepidus Group - Insight

When a customer shipped us our first PRE devices to test their application, we spent spare cycles exploring the rest of WebOS. Our initial impressions were quite positive. There was just so much to love: Linux underneath, the platform’s open nature, the user interface, and the hardware. There was just so much to love. However, the honeymoon ended abruptly once we started to explore WebOS’s security posture.
    As we started to pry a little it became quite apparent that Palm’s new WebOS platform was riddled with some pretty dangerous bugs. These bugs can all be traced back to that fact that WebOS is essentially a web browser and the applications are written in JavaScript and HTML. This also means that WebOS applications are subject to the numerous web applications vulnerabilities that any seasoned penetration tester would be all too familiar with. We were also quite surprised at how quickly these vulnerabilities were discovered. Within a matter of hours we started to uncover a number of low-hanging-fruit vulnerabilities that would be considered quite dangerous under even the most forgiving of standards.
    good detective work!
    now, what webOS release was this? if your going to post security vulnerabilities of an OS, you should post the date of testing and the version of OS.
    critic.... easy to do.
    just sayin.........
    The article was from April of this year , doesnt say what version of the OS . But from the comments most think it was 1.3 and not 1.4 ( but not sure). But just showing that the issues is for ALL handheld platforms. you can find security problems with apps and other things for ANY platform. There are way more for the Iphone with there APPS and spyware etc.
  11.    #11  
    I guess that's mud in my I.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info anyway berdinkerdickle! Always appreciated!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. Google tells us what the apps has access too. If I am looking for a wallpaper app and I see it has access to services that cost money to call numbers, send SMS messages... that right there would raise a red flag to me. No wallpaper app should have access to that. Just look for warning signs and if an app has something you think it shouldn't access to, don't download it.
    ...and lets face it: there is no one more reliable and trustworthy about security/privact issues than google....
    I think the big take away from all of this... without having read any other posts than the OP... Download applications from developers you trust.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    I think the big take away from all of this... without having read any other posts than the OP... Download applications from developers you trust.
    Also,
    I think we, the users in these forums, are probably the biggest help for this concern. If the app is malicious, these forums would surely be making it known.
    Just call me Berd.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for easing my concerns.

I'm seriously considering the Captivate.
    Just call me Berd.
    You're in luck, AT&T won't allow off market apps so you're safer Although I think AT&T needs to quick thinking everyone's a baby that needs coddling and protection. Many side apps are legit but in beta.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    SMobile Security Analysis of Over 48,000 Android Market Applications | SMobile Global Threat Center

"one in every five applications request permissions to access private or sensitive information that an attacker could use for malicious purposes."
    are you also a mod on androidcentral? if not, I would think you'd be buying a pre?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    The Captivate has better specs, I'm sorry to say. Unless you really hate Android and/or must have a physical keyboard, it's only another $50 with contract.

here is a reason to avoid motorola droids... who knows what the others are going to do on this topic...

Don’t Hack or Mod the Droid X, Unless You Want a Useless Paperweight
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast