Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, Well Steve Jobs has MAJOR EGG ON HIS FACE TODAY!!!

Consumer reports says, Iphone 4 Has Design Flaw.

This will be a major issue in the lawsuits against Apple in reference to the Iphone 4.

The link is below, go to it to see the video.

Take care,

Jay

Consumer Reports Says iPhone 4 Has Design Flaw

Consumer Reports Says iPhone 4 Has Design Flaw - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

By NICK BILTONJuly 12, 2010, 1:13 pm & 2:39 p.m. | Updated Added link to earlier Consumer Reports blog post and comments from Michael Gikas, senior editor of electronics at Consumer Reports. 3:14 p.m. Added request for comment from AT&T and Apple.

Consumer Reports said in a blog post and accompanying video on Monday that widely reported signal problems with the iPhone 4, Apple’s latest mobile phone, were a result of a flaw in the phone’s antenna design and that it could not recommend purchasing the phone. That contradicts earlier claims by Apple that the problems are a software issue.

The magazine said its engineers performed a series of tests on three separate iPhone 4s inside a controlled lab environment known as a “radio frequency isolation chamber.” They found that when the bottom left corner of the iPhone was touched, it could sometimes lose enough signal strength to drop calls.

Consumer Reports said the tests led it to conclude that it could not recommend the iPhone 4 to consumers until Apple fixes the hardware problem. It also questioned Apple’s honesty on the antenna issues:

Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4’s signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that “mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.”

When reports first surfaced of a reception flaw in the new phone, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, said to a customer in an e-mail that he was simply holding the phone incorrectly. Technology writers lambasted the company for this comment.

Earlier this month, Apple released a statement saying that it had looked into the signal problems and was “stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.” The company also said it would release a software update to fix the issue and would make “bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see” on the phone’s signal display. It did not acknowledge any problem with the phone’s hardware.

Consumer Reports also tested several other phones, including the earlier iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre, and reported that “none of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.” The report also said AT&T’s network did not appear to play a primary role in the iPhone 4’s signal woes.

AT&T declined to comment on the latest report, and Apple did not return a request for comment.

The latest comments by Consumer Reports dispute an earlier statement on the publication’s Electronics Blog that the “iPhone 4’s supposed signal woes aren’t unique, and may not be serious.”

Michael Gikas, senior editor of electronics at Consumer Reports, said in a phone interview that the earlier blog post was a “first impression” of the iPhone 4 and that the latest report was based on detailed laboratory experiments showing the phone’s issues were clearly a hardware malfunction.

“We don’t believe that consumers should pay extra money to fix the problem,” Mr. Gikas said. “We think either Apple should supply free cases for the phone or come up with another solution. That’s why we are not recommending the iPhone 4.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi everyone,

Here is more info on the Iphone 4 & Consumer reports....This must be hurting Steve Jobs, but good! LOL.

Take care,

Jay

Consumer Reports Throws iPhone 4 Under the Bus
    Jared Newman, PC World, Jul 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Consumer Reports Throws iPhone 4 Under the Bus - PCWorld

Consumer Reports has confirmed what we already knew about iPhone 4 -- touching its external antenna produces noticeable reception problems -- but with that finding offered a damning conclusion: This phone is not recommended.

Ouch!

The verdict is a slap in the face to Apple, which earlier this month tried casting the iPhone 4 problem as an optical illusion, caused by the way the phone displays signal bars. Previously, Apple said that holding the iPhone 4 in certain ways can affect signal strength, but has also insisted that overall the phone gets better reception than any previous model. For unsatisfied customers, Apple recommends holding the phone differently or buying a bumper case

That's not good enough for Consumer Reports, which tested three iPhone 4s in its radio frequency isolation room. Using a base-station emulator to simulate cell tower signals, lab testers found significant reception problems when holding the phone over its lower-left corner, especially when the signal was weak to begin with.

Phones with internal antennas, such as the Palm Pre and iPhone 3GS, didn't have the same reception issues. That's important, because Apple has claimed that signal loss when covering the antenna is "a fact of life for every wireless phone."

Consumer Reports confirmed that covering the iPhone 4's antenna with thick, non-conductive material, such as duct tape, fies the problem, and the group believes bumper cases will do the same. But despite loving everything else about the phone, including its sharp display and 720p video camera, Consumer Reports recommended downgrading to an iPhone 3GS or another brand.

If you've been following the iPhone 4 antenna debacle, there should be nothing shocking about Consumer Reports' findings. Experts and journalists have learned basically the same things in their field testing. Specifically, the phone gets better service most of the time, but when held over its lower-left corner, it risks dropped calls or lost reception in areas with low signal strength.

Still, the lab testing by Consumer Reports was conducted in a controlled environment, lending more credibility to the real-world evidence we've already seen. It's an embarrassment for Apple after the company's attempts to downplay the issue. I'm sure this report will come up in the class action lawsuits Apple faces, especially when the authority on what consumer products to buy says the iPhone 4 doesn't deserve your money.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    =
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

Steve Jobs & Apple, have become exactly what they criticized MS for being!

Take care,

Jay
    When did you become so hateful ilovedessert? Your bitterness about a company seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something horrible to you once upon a time?
    Good for consumer reports, I hope they got all their bases covered in case the Apple Task Force comes to get revenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    When did you become so hateful ilovedessert? Your bitterness about a company seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something horrible to you once upon a time?
    When did you become so concerned Kupe? Your defensive post to ilovedessert seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something grand to you once upon a time?
    Just read on engadget that apple is deleting any threads that mention this on their support forums. I really am not an apple hater of any type, but it is clear as day that Steve and co. are losing it

whoops forgot to post the link
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/a...-4-piece-on-f/
    Last edited by voodoochild; 07/12/2010 at 08:56 PM.
    I was talking to a friend today who used to work for a mobile phone company. And he just got the iPhone 4. I asked him about the "death grip" and I was surprised to hear him say this is all nonsense.And then e somewhat proved it...

He said every phone will do that if you hold it the wrong way. He showed me the signal drop on his iPhone and said he could make my Pre do the same thing... I handed it to him with 5 bars. He held it in his left hand in the death grip, and then cupped his right hand around the front so it covered everything but the top of the screen. His hand made a connection to his left hand on both sides of the phone (like he was cupping it in his hands, sort of.

Anyway, he took my phone down from 5 bars to 2 bars, and the 3G signal dropped and I could only get 1x EV signal. Needless to say, I wasn't happy to find out that every phone can be impacted by wrapping it in human hands - I figured that the Pre would be fine because it's made out of plastic. I was bummed to see that little demonstration... and I trust this guy more than I do Consumer Reports or Biy Genius Report...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    ... and next thing we know, CR will not be getting any more review units of Apple products.
    It's hilarous because now, CrApple people will say CR is garbage and not use them to buy things. Says a lot IMO.

Please CrApple iphone 4 news, never let up. It's been ****ing hilarous so far.
    Was going to post this earlier but Jay beat me to it (again).
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I was talking to a friend today who used to work for a mobile phone company. And he just got the iPhone 4. I asked him about the "death grip" and I was surprised to hear him say this is all nonsense.And then e somewhat proved it...

He said every phone will do that if you hold it the wrong way. He showed me the signal drop on his iPhone and said he could make my Pre do the same thing... I handed it to him with 5 bars. He held it in his left hand in the death grip, and then cupped his right hand around the front so it covered everything but the top of the screen. His hand made a connection to his left hand on both sides of the phone (like he was cupping it in his hands, sort of.

Anyway, he took my phone down from 5 bars to 2 bars, and the 3G signal dropped and I could only get 1x EV signal. Needless to say, I wasn't happy to find out that every phone can be impacted by wrapping it in human hands - I figured that the Pre would be fine because it's made out of plastic. I was bummed to see that little demonstration... and I trust this guy more than I do Consumer Reports or Biy Genius Report...
    The thing with the iPhone 4 is during normal ordinary holding, this is reported to happen. I'm sure any phone's antenna can be blocked, but does anyone normally talk on the phone in the way your friend held it? I wouldn't think so.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I feel like if apple would just address the blatantly obvious issue they wouldn't be getting the heat they have been.
    maybe one of the devs out there can create an "iphone app" (maybe call it something along those lines)....but make it so that all the app does is end your call or show a big "no signal" or something like that across the screen. might be kinda funny to have
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The thing with the iPhone 4 is during normal ordinary holding, this is reported to happen. I'm sure any phone's antenna can be blocked, but does anyone normally talk on the phone in the way your friend held it? I wouldn't think so.
    Exactly, someone recently posted a youtube vid here demonstrating that the Evo does the same thing if you hold the top back of it. This is valid in showing that all phones can have reception issues depending on how you hold them, and that it is not specific to apple, but the thing is is that nobody is going to hold the Evo by the top of the phone, so it is not really a practical real world example of the evo having a flaw like the iPhone does.

It isn't apple's fairly innovative design with the antenna that bugs me. When I first read about the iphone 4 I was actually quite impressed. It is just annoying that apple is tip-toeing around the situation trying to act like its imaginary. Giving customers the explanation that it is just a problem with their so called "algorithms" is borderline criminal (over exaggerating). There are people out there who are not technologically inclined, who have blindly accepted apples response. They are sitting there blaming their dropped calls on att, when really, its apple this time that is causing the excessive dropped calls.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Steve Jobs & Apple, have become exactly what they criticized MS for being!

Take care,

Jay
    I was thinking the same thing. I understand the bottom line is always important - but Apple seemed to hide that aspect of business very well. This could be a defining moment for Apple regarding how they handle this issue. Avoiding the problem probably wasn't such a good start. Doing whats right would be expensive but a great PRPRPR $move$ $to$ $keep$ $the$ $waxed$ $shine$ $on$ $the$ $apple$ $from$ $tarnishing$.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Exactly, someone recently posted a youtube vid here demonstrating that the Evo does the same thing if you hold the top back of it. This is valid in showing that all phones can have reception issues depending on how you hold them, and that it is not specific to apple, but the thing is is that nobody is going to hold the Evo by the top of the phone, so it is not really a practical real world example of the evo having a flaw like the iPhone does.

It isn't apple's fairly innovative design with the antenna that bugs me. When I first read about the iphone 4 I was actually quite impressed. It is just annoying that apple is tip-toeing around the situation trying to act like its imaginary. Giving customers the explanation that it is just a problem with their so called "algorithms" is borderline criminal (over exaggerating). There are people out there who are not technologically inclined, who have blindly accepted apples response. They are sitting there blaming their dropped calls on att, when really, its apple this time that is causing the excessive dropped calls.
    How do you hold an Evo in landscape view? Perhaps not to talk, but the data speed will take a hit.
    you all are a bunch of apple haters! Leave Steve alone. He has been on top of this issue since it was uncovered, i mean discovered. He has taken his personal time to email customers and has been very polite and understanding with all.
    What else do you want him to do... give away free bumpers? are you crazy... Apple would go bankrupt. On top of that... they would be admitting fault. They would rather have CR come out and tell everyone the iphone 4 is unrecommended.... deny deny deny!
    geez ... dont you people get it? Steve Jobs has this under control.
    iDuct Tape! Problem solved.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast