Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    How is this "unwarranted"? Hasn't Apple acknowledged the problem, and offered an official "fix" (a phone cover)?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It's unwarranted in the sense that consumer reports is trying to escalate this to a level that it's not. How many iPhone 4's have sold and continue to sale? It's not an issue.

Side note: bumper covers are no longer free nor have they been offered for free to new VZW iPhone owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's unwarranted in the sense that consumer reports is trying to escalate this to a level that it's not.
    And this benefits them, how?
    This is the same antenna design that propelled them to record breaking sales. This is the phone that won best of show at the largest mobile phone trade show in the world: the iPhone 4. Apple wasn't even there. CR also had this phone as their highest rated phone during the same period they couldn't recommend it. This is the phone that has set a new record on Verizon despite lower sales by Apple standards. With any luck, this phone will fail as well as it did on AT&T.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/26/2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added link
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is the same antenna design that propelled them to record breaking sales.
    Was it really the antenna design that propelled them to record breaking sales?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Was it really the antenna design that propelled them to record breaking sales?
    I don't know if it was because of it or in spite of it, and don't care. If the antenna was a liability, it was the most successful liability in the history of liabilities. HP had better hope that their perfect execution of the Pre 3 fails as well as the flawed execution of the iPhone 4.
    And this benefits them, how?
    It brings in more page views which equates to more ad hits which equates to more money.
    It brings in more page views which equates to more ad hits which equates to more money.
    CR has no ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    CR has no ads.
    True, I stand corrected. Goes to show how much I visit/read Consumer Reports. I guess you could say it's for mind share and recognition then. They know it's an article that will receive great attention.
    They highly recommend the Macbook Pro, so I don't think they have some evil plot by pointing out the iPhone4 is having reception issues,regardless of carrier.
    They highly recommend the Macbook Pro, so I don't think they have some evil plot by pointing out the iPhone4 is having reception issues,regardless of carrier.
    I don't think it's a ploy against Apple, or the iPhone per se but rather an article they know is going to generate a lot of traffic and recognition, whether it has a basis or not.

It's apparent now that it's not an issue, by any means. We've gone down this path and know where it leads.
    I don't think it's a ploy against Apple, or the iPhone per se but rather an article they know is going to generate a lot of traffic and recognition, whether it has a basis or not.
    But that isn't how consumer reports operates.
    They aren't a blog trying to get hits. They have a long long history of being unbiased. They have nothing to gain by giving an unfavorable review if it wasn't the results of their testing.

Apple themselves acknowledged the issue. No alterior motive there.
    But that isn't how consumer reports operates.
    They aren't a blog trying to get hits. They have a long long history of being unbiased. They have nothing to gain by giving an unfavorable review if it wasn't the results of their testing.

Apple themselves acknowledged the issue. No alterior motive there.
    This. ^^^

Plus the fact that there IS an issue and it is WELL DOCUMENTED by numerous sources. As an aside, more "anecdotal" evidence to this is the fact that our shop (F500 worldwide, 100K employees) does NOT allow ANY iPhone to be used as a 'company phone' this policy was added after several high level employees were "unreachable" during a crisis due to the "perfect performance" of the iPhone. They now MUST carry an IT issue BB Bold. Take that what you will.

(Also we have NO plans for iPad but have planned testing for Playbook)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Sure, they did. What company do you work for that did this?

I know you're not going to say because you will come up with 500 reasons why you can't.

Because you're lying.
    Kind of rude to say someone is lying, when you don't really know!

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Saying that you find something hard to believe and calling someone outright a liar.....it's a grey area. And I thought this was a new thread, not just a re-hash of last years news....moving along......

(and really no surprise there...regardless of what carrier has the phone. I think they made it pretty clear that it was a build flaw/oversight/whatever from Apple, and to see it replicated on Verizon...tbh, I thought it was worked out by now, but can't say that I'm overly surprised....)

had to take a break from pages upon pages of 2.0 metadoctor threads & wikis and installation videos..... I
    Last edited by sledge007; 02/26/2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Because of this statement...

Basically what he is saying is that the iPhone doesn't work well, while all the other phones on the AT&T network work perfectly.

Think about it...Were these high level employees ALL holding their iPhones in the way that causes them to drop bars at the same EXACT time as someone was trying to contact them? I can see one person not being unreachable, but ALL of them?

Do you really believe that?
    I would blame AT&T, not the iPhone. I know someone that always uses an iPhone and when he was in the U. S. on their network, his coverage would drop out unpredictably, such as in the middle of downtown Seattle.

But as I said that's the network, not the phone itself. It frequently happens there to all AT&T phones, not just iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I thought this was a new thread, not just a re-hash of last years news....moving along......
    It's actually new/updated news.
    Last year was CR's testing of the iPhone on Att.
    The verizon iPhone4 story by CR was just released yesterday.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Kind of rude to say someone is lying, when you don't really know!
    Yes, Very Rude.
    Just call me Berd.
    Can't blame the network when CR had the same results on Verizon.
    Just call me Berd.
    Can't blame the network when CR had the same results on Verizon.
    Personally, I was just referring to their network in general.

I really think this is a problem Apple should fix, hopefully they've done so for the new model. I kind of figured they wouldn't, just because they were releasing it on a different carrier.

You're talking about one person. He said that several people all could not be contacted during a crisis that have an iPhone.

I don't believe that all those people all were not able to be contacted during a crisis. Highly unlikely.

Apple would not have sold as many of those iPhone 4's and Verizon would not announce that it's their best launch ever if the iPhone was that bad. Doesn't add up.
    Exactly, that's what tells me it was some type of network problem, not a phone problem.