Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    damdbj13;

Well, since you brought it up, I had a personal experience with this, myself this past Sunday.

My cousin calls me every Sunday. He used to have a HTC WinMO device on ATT; he ugraded to and recieved his iPhone4 friday evening, and called me with it Sunday morning.

He was very aware of the antennae issue, and is going to buy a band for it, but, didnt have one with him Sunday, and, he demonstrated the issue several times during the call as he swithced hands and grips.. the call quality dropped to almost undetectable sound on my end, when he held it "wrong" ...

Addtionally, we expereinced, for the first time, 2 dropped calls when he was using it - he called my hard line, just in case you are curious!

The issue is real, and siginficant and needs to be addressed by Apple in a responsible way.

CR actually didnt commit any hypocritical acts - they simply pointed out that of the many great features the device has, which rate amongs the best currently available, the phone isnt working as it needs to be, and is subpar, and as a smartphone, they cant even recommend it for purchase until it is fixed.

That makes total sense to me, and is good objective reporting. Taking that any other way is reading with a bias.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The window of opportunity, to displace a leading competitor with the release of new hardware, is now open even wider. HPalm requires the swift and thorough software overall/update and a well built handset with advanced specs and elegant form factor to accomplish this market posture. An August or September release would still be able to displace the competition (a potential Apple recall/PRPRPR $exchange$ $program$ $will$ $take$ $2$-$3$ $months$ $to$ $fulfill$, $if$ $not$ $longer$.)
    There will be no recall. Customers, if the have the problem, will be able to (and are able to) return their phone for a refund or replacement.

Even the idea that there would be a "product recall" for anything that didn't kill you or give you cancer is incredibly stupid.
    LC Guy, I'm not doubting your friend's experience. The iPhone on AT&T has NEVER been a great voice call experience. NEVER! The HTC he came from might be a better voice phone. I am never going to defend that. Let me be perfectly clear about this. The iPhone, any iPhone and AT&T are a terrible combination for voice calls compared to other handsets, AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN!

Having said that, I have used every incarnation of the iPhone. I have lived in a number of locations. In some places, I never had a problem with reception. In other places, such as the one I live in now, I can barely get a signal during the best of times. The iPhone has never done a great job at holding marginal signals.

What your friend is experiencing is a marginal signal on an iPhone. From his perspective, he is right. It is worse than his old phone. From my perspective, I am right. It is better than my last iPhone. That is why professional reviewers who were familiar with iPhones universally said that the new antenna made things better, while others who were not familiar with iPhones, or had axes to grind, or wanted to boost page counts said that the signal was horrible.

Funny thing is, in spite of that, it is still the best overall smartphone on the market. Even people in SF and NY are still buying iPhones in record numbers because they already know this particular devil. And it is still better than the other devils out there. That says something about this phone.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    When did you become so hateful ilovedessert? Your bitterness about a company seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something horrible to you once upon a time?
    HI,

BTW if I hated apple so much, how come, I just gave my G/F a Ipod Nano 16 gig, 5th gen.?

My only reason I have for not wanting an Iphone, is that Jobs' refuses to a have an Iphone designed, with a keyboard. (After all, I am on my 4th Palm/Handspring model with a keyboard, (Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650 & my current Centro).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    My only reason I have for not wanting an Iphone, is that Jobs' refuses to a have an Iphone designed, with a keyboard.

You dislike a company for not adopting a style you prefer?
    So sad the market won't let you choose anything else..... oh wait. you can.

So others would be justified in hating on Palm for not making a slab.

got it.
    Last edited by finngirl; 07/13/2010 at 01:27 PM.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

got it.
    Hi,

Where do you get that I hate Apple?

I just don't what a smart phone without a keyboard. I did state that I just got my G/F an Ipod, if I hated Apple, I would never have gotten an Ipod for Amy!

Please don't put words in my mouth, I get in enough trouble by myself, LOL!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group

got it.
    Finn ... i have something to tell you.... I love you soo much , not just for the fact that you secretly hold lustful passions about cuddling your pre.. But for the way you try to hide that passion by admiring its competitor, ahh the jealousy tactic is the secret weapon that people usually use to draw them selves closer to what they really desire...

But i digress...
    Hi,

Where do you get that I hate Apple?

I just don't what a smart phone without a keyboard. I did state that I just got my G/F an Ipod, if I hated Apple, I would never have gotten an Ipod for Amy!

Please don't put words in my mouth, I get in enough trouble by myself, LOL!

Take care, Jay
    Understood; I did misspeak (since edited). you never said you hated Apple.

Although one can argue you have a ... bone to pick with them. Which is understandable if you want a physical keyboard.

so: I take that back.
    Don't worry Jay we don't really buy any talk of you hating anything, let alone Apple.

Keep up the informative posting.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Don't worry Jay we don't really buy any talk of you hating anything, let alone Apple.

hahahah, lol and thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

I admire his enthusiasm in the cross platform forums actually especially for someone who's never owned a Pre...or an iphone.

Carriers must hate him if they're still making him wait to upgrade from a Centro.

got it.
    To be fair, he didn't say he hated Apple or not making a style he wants. This is what he actually said (my emphasis added):
    HI,
    My only reason I have for not wanting an Iphone, is that Jobs' refuses to a have an Iphone designed, with a keyboard. (After all, I am on my 4th Palm/Handspring model with a keyboard, (Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650 & my current Centro).

Take care,

Jay
    And yeah, not having a feature you want is a valid reason for not wanting a particular device.

Edit - OK, I saw the subsequent apology, but I'm leaving this up. The point remains, not having a feature you want is a very valid reason for not buying a particluar line. It kept me away from Blackberries (no touch screen) until the Pre was announced, plus I too prefer a phone that has a real keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I admire his enthusiasm in the cross platform forums actually especially for someone who's never owned a Pre...or an iphone.

Carriers must hate him if they're still making him wait to upgrade from a Centro.
    Seriously, if I were him, and wanted a Pre as badly as he has indicated that he does, I'd buy one off eBay or hit up a Evo downgrader on here (sorry, couldn't resist that one). That would save his upcoming eligibility for whatever new device may be coming out.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Seriously, if I were him, and wanted a Pre as badly as he has indicated that he does, I'd buy one off eBay or hit up a Evo downgrader on here (sorry, couldn't resist that one). That would save his upcoming eligibility for whatever new device may be coming out.
    Hi, I thought about it, but my contract is up in mid Oct. It doesn't pay to even bother, after all it is only about 90 days! Take care, Jay
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's a GREAT point! Have you considered that, Jay? There are a few ppl here who switched from the Pre to the Evo and I'd bet they'd be willing to sell their Pre

Edit: Ahh just saw your response.
    Last edited by prince201; 07/13/2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: question answered
    UntidyGuy;

No static. Volume and voice clarity dropped incdredibly fast in slow waves. Then, eventually, the call just dropped. A few times when he acknowledged that he was holding the phone "wrong". I hung up my landline and he called me back. A couple of times. Laughing, along with me, because it was so easy for him to do.

Sure, its "odd".. its called a poor signal.

BTW, I really like Apple's courage in design innovation to buck the trend and do the "form follows function" thing with the antennae... (Im a big Mies Van Der Roe fan, myself), but, this one didnt quite pan out right for them.. hopefully, they, or someone else, will figure out a way this can work better - it surely does save room isnide the phone.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

dan;

"What your friend is experiencing is a marginal signal on an iPhone. From his perspective, he is right. It is worse than his old phone. From my perspective, I am right. It is better than my last iPhone. That is why professional reviewers who were familiar with iPhones universally said that the new antenna made things better, while others who were not familiar with iPhones, or had axes to grind, or wanted to boost page counts said that the signal was horrible. "

Actually, RF engineers were astounded at the \blatant lack of remedial RF knowledge this design proved on Apple's behalf. I, myself, have a difficult time understanding why this wasnt tested and verified, as it was so unique.. but, hey... it is what it is, right?

We all have our preferences as to what we want and need our smartphones to do - as for me.. its a phone first.. so that had better be working and at the top of its game. The Pre+ phone I have has the best voice clarity Ive experienced on any smartphone to date.. so thats a good match. And the fact that it is a powerful computing device is my second requirement.. I do not want to carry around separatee devices for PDA, calculator, music player, video player, etc - I want it all in one device.. and the Pre+ does it for me. The keyboard, for me, is also a high priority for devices with a smallscreen (anything under 3.8" diagnal).

I respect your opinions and priorites. Truly.

But, a smartphone that has a weak phone component really isn't a smartphone, is it??

Im sure Apple will fix this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    but the antenna is a deal-breaker, as she holds it in her left hand for web use and some calls, and she lives and works in an area where at&t has spotty to weak reception.
    The spotty to weak AT&T service should be the deal breaker, not the easy to work around antenna issue.
  20.    #60  
    Hi all,

Apple has to get ahead of this or the antenna issue will be the least of it's problems.

Take care,

Jay

The iPhone 4's biggest problem is not its antenna
    Posted July 13, 2010 12:05pm by Eric Benderoff

The iPhone 4's biggest problem is not its antenna - iPhone app article - Eric Benderoff | Appolicious ™ iPhone App Directory

If Apple (AAPL) continues to sidestep the growing iPhone 4 antenna furor, it risks losing its grip as America's premiere tech company. Also in today's App Industry Roundup, experts are starting to talk about an iPhone 4 recall.

Get a grip, Apple
    The biggest problem with the iPhone 4's antenna isn't whether it's faulty or fine, it's Apple.

Apple has so far avoided the serious issue of whether the iPhone 4 has a legitimate hardware problem and instead obfuscated the issue by first telling users how to hold the new iPhone and then blaming a software glitch. As a result, Apple now has a big PRPRPR $headache$ $on$ $top$ $of$ $an$ $obvious$ $hardware$ $flaw$.

If Apple admitted the hardware flaw, its PRPRPR $problem$ $would$ $start$ $to$ $go$ $away$. $But$ $it$ $hasn$'$t$, $and$ $news$ $organizations$ $including$ $Consumer$ $Reports$ $and$ $Engadget$ $continue$ $to$ $prove$ $the$ $antenna$ $is$ $faulty$. $Worse$, $countless$ $consumers$ $have$ $weighed$ $in$ $on$ $the$ $matter$ ... $and$ $that$'$s$ $Apple$'$s$ $biggest$ $problem$.

The iconic computer maker is in danger of losing its grip on the public psyche, an incredible asset it has milked for the last decade to become one of America's most admired companies. Apple's CEO, Steve Jobs, is beloved because of his singular vision and insistence that good design and computing hardware go hand in hand. Jobs utters, we listen. It is a unique power Bill Gates could never muster.

Now Apple is on the cusp of throwing it away, much like it is apparently deleting discussion threads from its message boards about the Consumer Reports story. Apple's products have reached beyond the ******* who tolerate the company's flaws and into the mainstream, where grandparents and in-laws are mad because when they finally buy a smartphone, they expect the phone portion to work properly.

Apple needs to address this problem head on, not blame software oddities. And the sooner it does so, the sooner it can move away from what has become a legitimate crisis for the company.

Is an iPhone 4 recall next?
    Yes, the iPhone 4's antenna problem is fixable -- tape! -- but is that enough? Many people will use a case anyway to protect their iPhone and not care about the antenna issue, but there's a growing belief that Apple may need to consider a recall to fix the iPhone 4's antenna woes.

Interviews with several PRPRPR $experts$ $on$ $the$ $Cult$ $of$ $Mac$ $website$ $conclude$ $that$ &$quot$;$the$ $iPhone$ $4$ $reception$ $issue$ $presents$ $a$ $Toyota$-$style$ $PR$ $crisis$ $for$ $Apple$, $and$ $the$ $company$ $must$ $respond$ $with$ $a$ $more$ $meaningful$ $fix$ $than$ $a$ $software$ $patch$.&$quot$;

“Apple needs to put this fire out now,” Larry Barton, a crisis management expert, told the website. “There has to be a military-like response to this issue. And we have not seen this kind of urgency.”

Later it the same story, Chris Lehane, a crisis expert who earned his stripes managing public relations for President Bill Clinton, said Apple needs to acknowledge and address the problem. "You deal with it,” he said. “Apple must protect its brand image, its crown jewels, at all cost. Apple has enormous consumer loyalty but it depends on whether people believe it’s credible.”

AT&T not to blame, finally
    If there's a "winner" in this antenna fiasco, it appears to be AT&T (T). Finally, there's a reception problem it can't be blamed for.

Nonetheless, the wireless carrier is still very much involved with fixing the dead spots and slow zones that impact many iPhone owners. At a VentureBeat conference Monday, AT&T Chief Technology Officer John Donovan said the company “will move heaven and Earth” to meet its customers’ growing data needs. Donovan noted that the wireless industry is in "phase 1" of data management and much work is still being done. Phase 3 will arrive in 2014, he noted, and that's where video will flow freely and without trouble over wireless networks.

But you can be sure that the complaints will return will before that.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast