Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 188
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    Steve Jobs & Apple, have become exactly what they criticized MS for being!

    Take care,

    Jay
    In all fairness, Jobs tended to criticize MS more for its lack of aesthetic sense, than for its business practices. Apple may be slowly turning into a monopolistic, predatory company which puts out defective products but at least they are elegant and beautiful.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    How do you hold an Evo in landscape view? Perhaps not to talk, but the data speed will take a hit.
    idk I haven't had extensive use with the evo outside of the sprint store to answer that with any accuracy.......

    However, assuming the effect on the radios is similar to that of my pre, there shouldn't be any noticeable effect on speeds while using in landscape. I use my pre in landscape, never paying any attention to how I hold it, and have never noticed any decrease in speed.

    Furthermore, when holding in landscape, all I will be doing is browsing or using an app that probably doesn't tax the radio's the same way a phone call would. I am never placing a call while holding my phone in landscape! Your argument holds no water, as the problem has nothing to do with using a phone while in landscape, or using it as anything but a phone for that matter.
  3. #23  
    Remember this is also the first time APPLE is selling a 'bumper' for $30!!!!

    30 x 2,000,000 phones first 2 months = $60 MILLION for something that costs pennies!!!! it's F'ing BS... my brothers iPhone4 gets more dropped calls.

    and in another month or 2... figure $100 MILLION in bumpers that is basically PURE profit.. LoL honestly... good for him... he made a smart phone for 'dummies' that is dummy proof and i can honestly say good for him... get it while you can. <nodding head wishing it was me getting the bumper money>
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Remember this is also the first time APPLE is selling a 'bumper' for $30!!!!

    30 x 2,000,000 phones first 2 months = $60 MILLION for something that costs pennies!!!! it's F'ing BS... my brothers iPhone4 gets more dropped calls.

    and in another month or 2... figure $100 MILLION in bumpers that is basically PURE profit.. LoL honestly... good for him... he made a smart phone for 'dummies' that is dummy proof and i can honestly say good for him... get it while you can. <nodding head wishing it was me getting the bumper money>
    Your brother should return his phone. Hopefully he is not hanging in there on the assumption he'll get a free bumper.

    Return the phone or don't buy it. Simple.
  5. #25  
    A design flaw?????

    Whoa.....
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Your brother should return his phone. Hopefully he is not hanging in there on the assumption he'll get a free bumper.

    Return the phone or don't buy it. Simple.
    I agree completely, if everybody that bought the phone would stop whining and complaining, and maybe returned something that doesn't work as advertised, maybe, just maybeee apple would acknowledge the problem.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Remember this is also the first time APPLE is selling a 'bumper' for $30!!!!
    SELLING? And for $30??

    AHAHAHAAHHHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    When did you become so hateful ilovedessert? Your bitterness about a company seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something horrible to you once upon a time?
    Wow. That small comment from him makes you "hateful" and "bitter"?? Really?

    Go back and reread some of the posts on here about Palm. The type I'm talking about shouldn't be hard for you to find...
  9. #29  
    This CR report about a defect simply can't be true. We have it on good authority that Apple "gets it right" before they release something. Always.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yes, Apple, AS THEY ALWAYS DO, waited until they got their apps system and app store right before they decided to allow people to write apps for the iPhone. Just like they took two years before they put in cut and paste on the iPhone. Or 3 years before they allowed video calling. Nothing new there.
    ...
  10. #30  
    just read this on TIPB

    The internet buzz concerning the thread removals is important for one reason, however ó it shows how sensitive customers are to the antenna issue. Never mind that Consumer Reports said they couldnít recommend iPhone 4 in one sentence then named it the best smartphone on the planet in another. Never mind we still donít know how many people have the problem. Never mind that other phones have the same problem albeit to lesser degrees. Never mind that Appleís historic misrepresentation of signal strength might be exacerbating the issue, as could AT&Tís network. Never mind anything else.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    you all are a bunch of apple haters! Leave Steve alone. He has been on top of this issue since it was uncovered, i mean discovered. He has taken his personal time to email customers and has been very polite and understanding with all.
    What else do you want him to do... give away free bumpers? are you crazy... Apple would go bankrupt. On top of that... they would be admitting fault. They would rather have CR come out and tell everyone the iphone 4 is unrecommended.... deny deny deny!
    geez ... dont you people get it? Steve Jobs has this under control.
    hmmm...lets see, apple makes well over a hundred on every iphone sold, and this thing costs less than a dollar.. Yes, clearly this would take the profitability out of the iphone..
  12. #32  
    I take you have all seen this by now? Here's a snippet:

    "Despite saying it "can't recommend" iPhone 4 in its blog, Consumer Reports also assigns Apple's newest phone the "highest rated" score as the best smartphone currently available in its official paid research reports. "
  13. #33  
    You know....

    Once again, the real issus escape the general public.

    The unique aspect of the iPhone 4 is the external antennae. This wasnt done before, and it was, indeed, a bold attempt to combine form and function, however, most RF engineers were extremely surprised by Apple's incorporation of this design, because it had to fail, given that human flesh will touch it.

    Clear nail poilish applied will fix it. Moreover, Lance Armstrong's rubber cancer wrist thingies seem to be a perfect fit, when stretched around the device over the antennae.

    The issues here aren't Apple's ability to make a mistake.. heck, they were bound to, at some point - nobody's perfect. The real issue is the arrogance of Apple i sso trong, that they refuse to admit it, and make good on it.

    First, Steve Jobs said that it wasnt an issue.

    Next, he said that its a software issue, relating to the formula they use to grpahically show the signal strength reading, and that they would adjust that. This has nothing to do with shortin gout the antennae reception - it was a midirection play, in an attempt to suggest that the signals were never great to begin with, therefore, its not the iPhone's fault, but, AT&T's fault. Unfortuantely, when compared to the iPhone 3GS, this did not pan out to be true, and proved that the iPhone 4 had a design flaw.

    Now, finally, a consumer advocacy group has stood up and said its a real issue, and cant recommend the phone until its fixed. Apple's response?

    They delete any/all posts on thier forums that discuss this issue, with any negative connotation. You can read about it on Engadget. Very sad.

    So, the real issue here is not the iPhone 4, which, certainly can be fixed, and, notwithstanding this issue and some scren color fading reported, it still appears to be a fairly sound phone and wel worth all of the accolades it has gotten, otherwise. The issue here is Apple's arrogance and ingorance. Most companies would never be able to get away with this, but, so far, Apple's market and mind share hasn't suffered yet...

    Let's see just how far they push it... it will be very interesting to watch, to say the least.

    (there is always an advantage to advocating the underdog.. they have to try harder to compete, which means that the consumer can win, big time!)

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I take you have all seen this by now? Here's a snippet:

    "Despite saying it "can't recommend" iPhone 4 in its blog, Consumer Reports also assigns Apple's newest phone the "highest rated" score as the best smartphone currently available in its official paid research reports. "
    Call me unsurprised. CR's "research" is based on surveys sent to their subscribers. Much like how they can't recommend a Camry because of the accelerator problems yet they were still highly rated.

    Who reads CR for purchase advice anyways... CR is the last place I would go for that.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Call me unsurprised. CR's "research" is based on surveys sent to their subscribers. Much like how they can't recommend a Camry because of the accelerator problems yet they were still highly rated.

    Who reads CR for purchase advice anyways... CR is the last place I would go for that.
    Tony;

    Youd be surprised how many read it, or go to them for their purchases, from cars to electronic equipment to appliances. They've been around for a long time.

    Having said that, they are not hypocrytes - they say, clearly that its a great device, but, if the phone part of the smartphone is buggy, they cant recommend it, no matter how great everything else is.

    As it should be!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I was talking to a friend today who used to work for a mobile phone company. And he just got the iPhone 4. I asked him about the "death grip" and I was surprised to hear him say this is all nonsense.And then e somewhat proved it...

    He said every phone will do that if you hold it the wrong way. He showed me the signal drop on his iPhone and said he could make my Pre do the same thing... I handed it to him with 5 bars. He held it in his left hand in the death grip, and then cupped his right hand around the front so it covered everything but the top of the screen. His hand made a connection to his left hand on both sides of the phone (like he was cupping it in his hands, sort of.

    Anyway, he took my phone down from 5 bars to 2 bars, and the 3G signal dropped and I could only get 1x EV signal. Needless to say, I wasn't happy to find out that every phone can be impacted by wrapping it in human hands - I figured that the Pre would be fine because it's made out of plastic. I was bummed to see that little demonstration... and I trust this guy more than I do Consumer Reports or Biy Genius Report...
    Yeah, I hold my Pre like that all the time. It's really annoying how it loses signal when I'm cupping both hands over it, making sure they touch, while talking to my mom.
    : (){:|:&};:
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I take you have all seen this by now? Here's a snippet:

    "Despite saying it "can't recommend" iPhone 4 in its blog, Consumer Reports also assigns Apple's newest phone the "highest rated" score as the best smartphone currently available in its official paid research reports. "
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Call me unsurprised. CR's "research" is based on surveys sent to their subscribers. Much like how they can't recommend a Camry because of the accelerator problems yet they were still highly rated.

    Who reads CR for purchase advice anyways... CR is the last place I would go for that.

    let me start by saying that I really really loved by brothers Iphone4 hardware is amazing, I personally like facetime, but I am someone whose family was using an actual videophone back in the early early ninetys, and i was all set to finally get my mother the smartphone she has been asking for. its the best looking and fastest smartphone i have ever used.

    but the antenna is a deal-breaker, as she holds it in her left hand for web use and some calls, and she lives and works in an area where at&t has spotty to weak reception.


    That article from apple insider has to be one of the most impressive pieces of spin i have seen outside of politics.

    the fact is, they measured a huge DB drop in signal in a controled environment, and felt that this was so much worse than comperable phones they also tested in that environment (like the 3gs and pre plus) that they have to retract there recommendation until it is fixed.

    that dosn't take away from all the thing the iphone4 does right, which is most things.


    as for consumer reports. the NY times article quoted them as having 8 million PAYING subscribers in the US!

    I would imagine there are vastly more who use there free services.

    there report made its way to my TV last night, and then i started to recieve emails between uncles and aunts, who were considering buying the iphone4 and my brothers, who have one, concerned about the issue.

    there is at least one group of people i know who are holding off on the purchase because of CR.

    I am wondering, would i rather have this issue or Oreo?

    I think i would rather have oreo than this.
    Last edited by windzilla; 07/13/2010 at 09:35 AM.
    There are four lights.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    hmmm...lets see, apple makes well over a hundred on every iphone sold, and this thing costs less than a dollar.. Yes, clearly this would take the profitability out of the iphone..

    I'm thinking clutch1222 was being sarcastic in his post.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    When did you become so hateful ilovedessert? Your bitterness about a company seems to be a personal thing. Did Apple do something horrible to you once upon a time?
    Dear All,

    I actually do not have it in for Apple, I just found a series of articles and posted them.

    Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  20. #40  
    The thing about the CR is that after all is said and done, they rate iP4 the best smartphone on the market. They do not qualify it by saying "except for the antenna issue." According to their rating, the issue is still not enough to keep the iP4 from being the highest rated phone.

    From the perspective of a user of this phone in a marginal AT&T area, I can tell you that the signal is no worse that any iPhone has ever been. In most cases, it is better. I actually use my phone to make calls, not just to measure how much the bars drop when I hold it a certain way and post the results on message boards.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions